User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leveling Process Question

I have a question on the leveling steps / process.

Once parked, I place blocks underneath the front pads. Then I lower the front two jacks to disconnect the trailer from the hitch. Then I place blocks under the middle and rear jacks and manually lower those jacks until they touch the blocks. Then I auto level the unit. The reason I do this is make sure the jacks are centered on the blocks.

The manual says to lower the front jacks to disconnect from the hitch and then auto level.

Any concerns with my lowering the middle and rear jacks first?

Thx
    Doug & Melissa
    Tucson, AZ
    2022 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Diesel Lariat CCSB 4x4
    2022 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dadelberg View Post

Once parked, I place blocks underneath the front pads. Then I lower the front two jacks to disconnect the trailer from the hitch. Then I place blocks under the middle and rear jacks and manually lower those jacks until they touch the blocks. Then I auto level the unit. The reason I do this is make sure the jacks are centered on the blocks.

The manual says to lower the front jacks to disconnect from the hitch and then auto level.

Thx
    Hopefully it was just an oversight, but you did not mention wheel chocks being used during the process. I have never lower the middle or rear legs before pushing the auto level button.....it does just fine. After a while you get a feel for where the blocks are just by looking at them when they are placed.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Trying to be brief with the question. Yes I always chock the wheel first.
    Doug & Melissa
    Tucson, AZ
    2022 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7 Diesel Lariat CCSB 4x4
    2022 Solitude 310 GK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx
    I can’t think of any reason why it matters. If it works fine then go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    Hopefully it was just an oversight, but you did not mention wheel chocks being used during the process.
    I guess I live dangerously. Unless I’m on a very out of level site I never use them.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post

I guess I live dangerously. Unless I’m on a very out of level site I never use them.
    Chocks really should be the first things out and the last things loaded. It's easier to get in the habit than it is to remember to use them when it might be necessary.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, using chocks are a must. Especially when hooking up to the pinbox on my 5er. Keeps the trailer from moving alot and putting "more" stress on the landing gear. I can also see it helpful on TT's and other bumper tows as well for relieving some stress on the front jack.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post

I recently saw a YouTube video where a guy was delivering a 5th wheel and he did not chock the wheels. He then released the 5th wheel hitch and the camper rolled backwards and dropped down onto his hand and pinned it between the truckbed and the camper. Fortunately, his injuries were minor compared to the possibility that he could have lost his arm.

Since that video, my wife and I have tried to get better at installing chocks before we drop the landing gear. We are not yet perfect,but, we are getting better. Fortunately for us, we live in Florida and most places we camp is pretty flat. Additionally, we have a Goosebox, so we don't need to be reaching under the camper after we disconnect from the truck.

If you want to see the video, search YouTube for:

"Crushed by 7 ton RV"
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thx
    Just curious, why are you putting blocks under all 6 jacks? I can see using blocks if you are not level and want to avoid fully extended jacks. If you are simply trying to protect the feet of your jacks, I recommend snap pads. They save a lot of extra work because they stay on the jacks pads permanently.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    Just curious, why are you putting blocks under all 6 jacks? I can see using blocks if you are not level and want to avoid fully extended jacks. If you are simply trying to protect the feet of your jacks, I recommend snap pads. They save a lot of extra work because they stay on the jacks pads permanently.
    I have the snap pads and I also put 12" square 2" x 12" pieces under each/all 6 legs.....even on a perfectly level pad. The less extension of the legs = a more stable trailer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I have the snap pads and I also put 12" square 2" x 12" pieces under each/all 6 legs.....even on a perfectly level pad. The less extension of the legs = a more stable trailer.

I agree that the less the jacks have to extend, the more stable the trailer. My experience has been that extending the jack pads to the ground has given us a very stable trailer. The jacks are only half extended when on a level surface. I will try putting blocks under the jacks this weekend to see if I can tell the difference. I am just trying to keep it simple, lol.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast