User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Has anyone priced out a Ram Lately? OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well my 2022 F350 SRW LB King Ranch is sitting at the rail yard waiting for a rail car headed west.

Meanwhile back on the farm I got talking with a neighbor (BIG RAM FAN) that Ram just bested the Powers stroke in power, so I had to look it up. Ram now has 1075 Ft lbs torque and 420HP with thier HO option while the 6.7 Power Stroke is 1050 Ft Lbs in torque and 475HP. I had a tough time explaining to him the 25 ft lbs in torque would not overcome the 55 HP Ford has. And in addition the Ram 6 speed was no comparison to the Ford 10 speed. He then tried to tell me they were much cheaper than Ford and I could have gotten the Longhorn cheaper. So I decided to build one on the Ram site. As a base line my KR is costing me right around $83,685 with shipping

Total for the Limited Longhorn without shipping was $91,900 and it is still lacking some Ford KR features like the instant cab heat and 10 way power seats. I did not see an LED headlight option either, unless that standard. Also the rear gear ratios are very limited with no Locking or LS opting.

Needless to say he was a bit bummed when I saw him later. It's unfortunate that the Ram build site is hard to use as the feature information is not with the options. You need to look up separately

So that was an interesting foray into the works of Ram trucks. I will admit though the Longhorns interior looks nice, but for my body dimensions the seats are uncomfortable and just don't fit me, unless they changed from the 2021 I sat in.

To be fair to the GM folks I sat in a Denali too - a bit better but the lumbar support was too high in my back. Unfortunately the dash layout just did not seem right either. Again that was a 2021.

Well back to waiting for my truck to ship
    Just my 02.
    Last edited by powerscol; 04-27-2022 at 07:36 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Torque is the force you feel pushing you back in your seat on acceleration, while horsepower is the speed achieved at the end of that acceleration.

In a towing situation, take the torque every time.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truck pricing is nothing shy of full re**rd right now. With scares of DEF shortages, emission system failures, and now the new Duramax dropping injectors like flies and GM truck recalls on the verge, I'll drive the '09 until the wheels fall off. It still amazes me that with a simple tuner, the '09 sill beats the newest of trucks and their 475hp/1050tq numbers. If folks could settle to not have touch screens and back massages while driving, a used 3rd gen deleted Ram will take you where ever you need to go for half the price of a new one. $.02
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4x4dually View Post
    Truck pricing is nothing shy of full re**rd right now. With scares of DEF shortages, emission system failures, and now the new Duramax dropping injectors like flies and GM truck recalls on the verge, I'll drive the '09 until the wheels fall off. It still amazes me that with a simple tuner, the '09 sill beats the newest of trucks and their 475hp/1050tq numbers. If folks could settle to not have touch screens and back massages while driving, a used 3rd gen deleted Ram will take you where ever you need to go for half the price of a new one. $.02
    4x4 your probably correct, however I had to get a new TV after my Ford 04 6.0 left me stranded one time to many. First the EGR cooler melted and messed op a head gasket and then nest trip the HPOP went bad (internal leak), Last trip the trans started making noise and it had been fully serviced just months before. So fall of last year I went and thoroughly reviewed all three looking at trucks in the same trim approximately to my KR. It was very tough finding anything on the lots. I did a lot of driving and kicking tires.

Ultimately to get the towing set up I wanted I had to special order. I did not look at the Rams that hard. I was just surprised at the pricing they have is all.

As for chipping/reprogramming I am well aware of the possibility (upside) and the potential damage that can be done no matter what the brand. I have chosen to leave everything stock. However I did put a dual exhaust system and improved down pipe on my 04 to reduce the floor heat on the passenger side. CAT was left in the system to pass emissions.
    @huntr70 Being an engineer I understand the torque and HP relationship. I guess what I am saying is without the HP to keep you moving the torque becomes secondary and in the real world you probably wont use all the torque anyway, especially as all 3 limit the available torque off the line to save the drive lines.

All good thoughts though
    Thanks
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    4x4 your probably correct, however I had to get a new TV after my Ford 04 6.0 left me stranded one time to many. First the EGR cooler melted and messed op a head gasket and then nest trip the HPOP went bad (internal leak), Last trip the trans started making noise and it had been fully serviced just months before. So fall of last year I went and thoroughly reviewed all three looking at trucks in the same trim approximately to my KR. It was very tough finding anything on the lots. I did a lot of driving and kicking tires.

Ultimately to get the towing set up I wanted I had to special order. I did not look at the Rams that hard. I was just surprised at the pricing they have is all.

As for chipping/reprogramming I am well aware of the possibility (upside) and the potential damage that can be done no matter what the brand. I have chosen to leave everything stock. However I did put a dual exhaust system and improved down pipe on my 04 to reduce the floor heat on the passenger side. CAT was left in the system to pass emissions.
    @huntr70 Being an engineer I understand the torque and HP relationship. I guess what I am saying is without the HP to keep you moving the torque becomes secondary and in the real world you probably wont use all the torque anyway, especially as all 3 limit the available torque off the line to save the drive lines.

All good thoughts though
    Thanks
    6.0L powerstroke? I say no more. LOL

I like the cummins due to the better tq to hp ration the inline 6 provides. The only issue with driving a cummins is keeping all the Dodge from falling off around it.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've owned 3 Chevy's.. 2 Fords... and just bought my 2nd Ram.... Really don't have any complaints with any of them... My wife an retired nurse with the bad back to prove it, sat in all 3 and came to the exact opposite opinion as the OP. It took less than a minute for her to Nix Ford & Chevy.. I pulled Teton Pass (10% grade) with a boat behind the 5th wheel.. didn't see the need for anymore than 6 gears... The trend lately has been smaller engines with superchargers and 10 speed transmissions. to compensate for lack of cubic inches... I don't believe Powerstrokes need all those gears as they have plenty of torque... IMHO it's just marketing...but I've been wrong before..... Who's got the best truck is like talking politics, and should be avoided.... The old guy next door at least 3 times a year tells me the story. ( and they love their stories ).. about the Dodge he had that was a piece of junk back in the day... In plain view of my 25 year old Ram with over 300k in the driveway.... He has told me this so many times I'm starting to enjoy it...... The only thing that matters is does your truck do what you need it to?
    2019 230RL Reflection ..... 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins still pulling just as hard as the day I brought her home November 1995...3.6 Onan. 2 battleborns 300 watts solar, 1500 watt aims inverter....(Convictions are a far greater foe of truth than lies) {Nietztche}

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    The trend lately has been smaller engines with superchargers and 10 speed transmissions. to compensate for lack of cubic inches...
    One of my most used sayings in this industry is "there is no replacement for displacement".

I'll never be on the "little motors with supercharger" train that is driven by emissions. Nothing will beat large slugs with torque IMO.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am proud to say.....I've NEVER priced a Dodge....or a Ram when looking for a truck....

2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Well my 2022 F350 SRW LB King Ranch is sitting at the rail yard waiting for a rail car headed west.

Meanwhile back on the farm I got talking with a neighbor (BIG RAM FAN) that Ram just bested the Powers stroke in power, so I had to look it up. Ram now has 1075 Ft lbs torque and 420HP with their HO OPTIONwhile the 6.7 Power Stroke is 1050 Ft Lbs in torque and 475HP. I had a tough time explaining to him the 25 ft lbs in torque would not overcome the 55 HP Ford has. And in addition the Ram 6 speed was no comparison to the Ford 10 speed.

Just my 02.
    I take all that with a grain of salt. Compare apples to apples, the Ford PowerStroke beats the Ram all day. When you have to pay for optional H.O. motor, the comparisons are lost on me. The PSD is the same in all models, not an OPTIONAL engine.
    2020 337RLS
    2018 F350 4WD CCLB Dually Diesel
    2010 FLHTCU and 2021 Explorer
    USAF 19th SPS Veteran

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Powerscol on your new Super Duty Power stroke scorpion.
    Once you receive it & start driving around the 4 corners you will know that you made the right choice right off. You might know that I bought a 2021 Super Duty last summer. XLT with a 6.7. Gotta say that I love the truck. And even though I was looking for a 7.3 gas I am very impressed with the 6.7. There ain't a truck that you will take the back seat to on the hills around here. I know many have tried me. LOL And none got by me. When you get your truck & get it broke in you'll have to take it out against your neighbors Cummins & give him a thrashing up Hesperus Hill. Oh & the 10 speed is a dream come true transmission. Love the way it shifts & behaves.
    And I love to drive with the engine brake on so that I can hear the scorpion V8 engine rumble. Way Cool.
    How many Cummings guys have I heard say later "Gee I could have had a V8"
    Fords Forever,
    Russ
    Russ & Deb
    Myles, Blu & Sadie aka furry kids
    2019 F-150 - 2021-F350 (aka red rocket2)
    2000 F-250 aka the snow plow truck

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast