User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2019 295RL Bathroom Sink Drain - Making New Sound

We have been RVing full-time for over a year and both my wife & I have just noticed we can now hear the bathroom sink draining into the gray tank. We have never
    heard this before. The sound comes up through the shower drain. Is this an issue? We are at a campground that empties your black and gray tanks for a fee every week as they do not have sewer connections. Is it possible their machinery could have damaged something in the gray tank

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    argh..... Damage is always a possibility.

Did they connect directly to your pipe of dump in a bucket and suck from there? I won't let the "honey wagon" connect directly to my rig. If they won't let me dump in a 5 gallon bucket as they suck it out then I take a pass.

Keep an eye on things.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, they connected directly with a pump truck. What can go wrong when they do that?
    What repairs might I need?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KENTMEZ View Post
    Yes, they connected directly with a pump truck. What can go wrong when they do that?
    What repairs might I need?
    I'm no expert on this but I always thought that those pumper trucks have too much suction. I think at worse they can collapse a holding tank if there is not enough air going into the tank while they are sucking out the waste or water.

Before getting too excited about damage I would check things over. Maybe they cleared some kind of blockage or debris in the tank and now it sounds different.

First, I get on the roof to make sure that the vent pipe cap is OK and that the vent pipe is still in place and wasn't drawn down into the tank. Then I'd fill all the tanks and inspect for any leaking underneath. Next I'd check the ACC valves under the bathroom and kitchen sinks to make sure they still work. You can look up that info on the web.

You can always remove the basement panels and check the drain pipes. You might be able to see the tanks too. But I'd wait to see how things work out before going through all that trouble.

I'm thinking you shouldn't hear anything through the shower drain since there is a P-trap in the drain that would prevent sound from coming from there when another drain is draining. Maybe it was a one time thing and the P-traps got sucked dry too and needed to be filled again by using the drains. ??? - not sure tho...
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry, thank you for your quick and thorough response. I will pursue as you suggest and will avoid pumper trucks in the future. We’re thinking that perhaps they pulled out more water than what I can in a normal gravity dump and the sound was water entering a dry tank.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have been RVing full-time for over a year and both my wife & I have just noticed we can now hear the bathroom sink draining into the gray tank. We have never
    heard this before. The sound comes up through the shower drain. Is this an issue? We are at a campground that empties your black and gray tanks for a fee every week as they do not have sewer connections. Is it possible their machinery could have damaged something in the gray tank
    Have you run water (taken a) shower since your tank was pumped out? If you are hearing noise through the shower drain, the P trap could have been sucked dry. Easy fix is to run some water in the shower to refill the P trap. If that fixes the noise, you know what the problem was and most likely no serious damage was done.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, thank you for that explanation and I do believe that is exactly what happened because after a shower the sound stopped. Makes total sense. Very helpful and a great relief.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chris, thank you for that explanation and I do believe that is exactly what happened because after a shower the sound stopped. Makes total sense. Very helpful and a great relief.
    Glad it worked out. You just have to love it when a simple fix works!

Since the trailer system is not (as far as I know) designed for a vacuum, I would avoid it if you can. Probably OK, but why take the chance. @traveldawg had a good suggestion with the open bucket.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 04-28-2022 at 06:10 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023