Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ford tow relay

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford tow relay

I have a friend who recently purchased a new F150 to haul his trailer to and fro. Talked to him this evening and he mentioned picking up his trailer from storage. I asked if he had installed the tow relay yet? He was unaware of any relay and I was not informed enough to tell him anything about it? A few posts in the past I have read in regards to some relay req'd. Tried to find out more on the search engine but came up empty. Someone please bring me up to speed on the relay and I will pass the info onto him. Thank you.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought a new F150 in 2018 - I did not have to install a relay on that model. I do remember hearing something about this in earlier models but perhaps not needed anymore.
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealership or the For Truck Enthusiasts forum are excellent sources for this information.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 04-28-2022 at 07:56 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2013 F150 SCREW had it already installed when purchased new. I believe if they have one of the 2 tow packages and the factory brake controller installed, it was probably installed at the factory. But it can be easily checked in the (in my case - under hood) fuse compartment using the manual.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2016 F150 had the relay in the glove box, and a fused battery charge line. My 2019 had no relay and the charge line is not fused. My only point is the new F150s may not be set up the way the old ones were.

Also, the 2019 charge line will not recharge a dead battery or operate the trailer accessories if the battery is too low.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can’t say for sure with the F150 but with Super Duty around 2019 you no longer need the relay unless you are using and aftermarket trailer brake controller.

With Ford OEM brake controller, to activate you must be plugged in, all truck doors closed and step on the brake. It will activate the 12v supply to charge trailer battery and activate brakes. If you open driver door you loose power to trailer until you close the door again.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently the charge circuit on Ford trucks is now integrated into the computer, rather than a hard wired circuit controlled by a relay and fuse.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2010 F150 had that relay in a separate zip lock in the glove. My 2019 did not.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE