User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hampal View Post
    After hitching we won't be level and I'm not sure how safe it is to put it in and out like that either.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk
    You actually gave a pretty good answer to yourself.

It's not a "safety" issue in terms of injury - more a safety/risk reduction for mechanical damage.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Scott & Fonda
    2015 F-250 SuperCrew SRW, 6.7L TD
    2020 Imagine 2670MK.........Equal-i-zer 1400#
    Kayaks: Perception Expression 11.5 and Carolina 12
    Bikes: Specialized S-works Amira, Felt Z95, DelSol Lxi 6.1, Electra Townie
    Virginia Beach

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone needs to do what their comfortable with.

I don't personally think it matters. I never fully level or put the rear jacks down at home and we put the slides in and out constantly. I have stopped at rest areas and other places and deployed the slides for lunch or to take a quick nap. I've leveled with the slides in and out. I frankly don't see the difference. Its not like they are locked in some way when they are in. They are press fitted against the wall when in or out.

I've seen dealers on many occasions move them around the lot with the slides all out.

FWIW
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    During our 2500RL PDI, we were told to level L/R, un-hitch, level F/B, deploy the stabilizers then slide out... they said this is to avoid damage... it sounds logical to me so I didn't even question it

Good luck

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the issue is the level after the slide is out, why not re-level again?

Personaly I would not put out the slides before leveling. The only time I ever tore my linoleum floor was becaise I deployed/retracted the kitchen slide before being level. But, it could just been a OEM issue.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more about when we're getting ready to leave home for a trip. I like to hitch up the night before but we're not quite done packing so I want to leave the slide out. After hitching we won't be level and I'm not sure how safe it is to put it in and out like that either.

2 things to consider for what it's worth.

1-How out of level will it be when hitched up for the night? The refrigerator may not like it if you have an absorption fridge assuming you will have the fridge all packed up and running.
    2-I know it's such a far fetched thought that you'll say it couldn't happen, but being all hooked up and ready to roll increases the highly unlikely chance you'll drive off and forget the slide esp if it's on the curb side. (I know I tend to check my drivers side mirror more than passenger side.) Don't laugh for me even mentioning it but I've seen pics. (be they real or fabricated)

Terry
    Terry, Patty, Sophie (Great Pyrenees) and Tessa (German Shep/Pyr Mix)
    2020 Reflection 297RSTS
    2021 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW 6.75' bed /6.7L Diesel/3.55 electronic locking axle

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 29 ft 2500 RL with one slide room. I need to raise the front of the trailer pretty high to hitch my wdh. Is it safe to do that while the slide is out?

That's how you break the gibs on the motor brackets.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to add to the comments: I have visited many dealers in the past looking for the ideal rig. All the TT's and 5th's that I looked at had the slides out and very few with the stabilizers set. Furthermore, some of them were on uneven ground. Moving forward, the general convention is to level the trailer and then pull out the slide. Doing this in reverse when packing up. This is the procedure that I follow but thinking of the many trailers I have visited over the years!!!!
    Pierre & Tara

2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2020 GMC Sierra SLE 1500
    1200/12000 Equalizer Hitch

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's more about when we're getting ready to leave home for a trip. I like to hitch up the night before but we're not quite done packing so I want to leave the slide out. After hitching we won't be level and I'm not sure how safe it is to put it in and out like that either.

I was at a dealership looking at travel trailers and the dealership moved a few around on the lot with the slide out. Last week, another camper moved sites keeping the slide out. Personally, I’d avoid moving the trailer with the slide out and prefer not to raise or lower the tongue with the slide out just to prevent any unusual twisting that could cause alignment issues. I don’t worry much about level as you’re rarely going to be perfectly level. I stay at Harvest Host, Boondocking, National Forest and Parks, Cracker Barrels and just get it relatively close. If staying just a night, I don’t normally disconnect. I use an Andersen bucket under the tongue jack and raise the front up to level, usually slightly above, then put the slide out for the night. I don’t worry about the stabilizers for overnights. In your scenario, I’d do similar, bring the slide in, hookup, use the tongue jack to get back to level, then reopen the slide. Just don’t forget the tongue jack when you go to drive off 😊
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    When we picked up our 303RLS in the fall of 2020, the 'tech' doing the pdi with us said to unhitch, deploy the slides, then level. Because if you level out, then deploy the slides it could become unlevel because of the weight shifting.
    I don't do that, I do the same as you...but there's lots of 'dealer official' opinions out there.
    I am with you on that I always level before running the slides out. Just the way it says to do in the GD manual. Makes you wonder about some of the "tech experts" and their knowledge.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    When we picked up our 303RLS in the fall of 2020, the 'tech' doing the pdi with us said to unhitch, deploy the slides, then level. Because if you level out, then deploy the slides it could become unlevel because of the weight shifting.
    I don't do that, I do the same as you...but there's lots of 'dealer official' opinions out there.
    Well the tech is partially right, depending on the size of the slide, if the trailer is level when you move the slide out, the weight of the slide will tend lo lower that side of the trailer. Not sure how you level your trailer left to right if you have unhitched first . I have the RVLevelerPRO and BeechLane levelers (similar to Anderson), and the slideout of our trailer is located on the drivers side. When backing up on the levelers, I always make sure I leave the passenger side 1/4 inch lower than level. Then unhitch, level front to back, engage stabilizer and put out the slide. My side to side level is perfect each time. I know that the RVLevelerPRO has a feature to compensate for this (slide weight), but I just find it easier to do it this way.

As far as raising or lowering the tongue while the slide is out... I can't see how that would hurt/damage anything as the entire frame is pivoting over the suspension. I personally would not make a practice of it, and I certainly would not want to close or open the slide while the tongue is significantly raised or lowered. Also if you are going to do this, just make sure your stabilizers are up before you do, as that could definitely tweak the frame and/or damage your stabilizers.
    Last edited by skrantzman; 05-06-2022 at 12:40 PM.
    Steve & Laura
    2021 Transcend 240ML
    2013 F150 3.5L Ecoboost 4x4 SuperCrew SB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast