User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Curious what the actual point of failure was. Were the tracks chewed up or was it a motor problem?
    The RV repair said that if they are out of alignment at all side to side or top to bottom that it bind and possibly skip a tooth, and after that its a matter of time before it fails. In my case the tracks, gears, motors etc were all fine, He suspects that the bottom of my slide was installed a tooth off during production and it couldn't correct itself ( that was the most common reason behind the failure that he's seen)
    The part that bound up on mine though was the gear carrier at the bottom of the slide. It got into the track and then wedged itself against it, which made the nylon guide wheel pop out off the bottom of the track and allow it to wedge the carrier even more.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyfuel View Post
    The RV repair said that if they are out of alignment at all side to side or top to bottom that it bind and possibly skip a tooth, and after that its a matter of time before it fails. In my case the tracks, gears, motors etc were all fine, He suspects that the bottom of my slide was installed a tooth off during production and it couldn't correct itself ( that was the most common reason behind the failure that he's seen)
    The part that bound up on mine though was the gear carrier at the bottom of the slide. It got into the track and then wedged itself against it, which made the nylon guide wheel pop out off the bottom of the track and allow it to wedge the carrier even more.
    Thanks for your detailed report. It looks like an initial install error rather than anything you did. I suspect that if these slides were installed correctly, to begin with, and the end-user operates them according to the instructions, then there wouldn't be anywhere near as many failures.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    . I suspect that if these slides were installed correctly, to begin with, and the end-user operates them according to the instructions, then there wouldn't be anywhere near as many failures.
    I really believe you are right. After following lots of threads on this forum and others, it seems like installation, poor connections, and the initial routing of control cables are the majority of issues.

I had an issue with my Schwintek system, but it ended up that one of the control cables got chewed up by my tire when the cable slipped too far out of the frame in the wheel well. It did cause me to become much more interested and informed on how the system works.

It just seems the Schwintek mechanism is a lot more susceptible to potential problems than other slide mechanisms.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For what it’s worth, a friend with a motor home had the main slide Schwintek rebuilt three times then on the fourth failure replaced it with the Vroom. The coach frame would twist and cause the Schwintek gears to loose alignment with the track and chew things up. The Vroom’s motor is attached to the rack and floats in the chassis mounting so gears remain meshed regardless of slide alignment. Vroom is not readily available yet.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had my Schwintek system replaced twice. The repair shop did the 2nd one for free as a sign of good faith. They say the slide room was built out of square, and they should have caught it the first time. They got it working the best they could, but the new slide still pops a little, so it is just a matter of time before this one fails. I have an apt for a Vroom slide to be installed next spring, but with the cost of their materials going up due to inflation, the fuel to get down there, back, and time off it is more than the value of the trailer. I am going to get a 2nd opinion on the current slide locally. Not sure where to go after that, then try to sell the trailer.

2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 Ford Expedition

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody got a link to vroom?
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandesigner View Post
    Anybody got a link to vroom?
    https://vroomslidesystems.com/

2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 Ford Expedition

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavyfuel View Post
    The recommendation I was told by Grand Design was to hold it down for 5-10 seconds every few cycles to sync the motors. I doubt it does any harm to do it every time, that's just what I was told.
    To sync slide follow GD video: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...8B02&FORM=VIRE

During normal use (not the sync procedure): You are correct to hold button down for a period of time during each full extend and full retract.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So our Schwintek slide system just ate itself, the trailer is around 2 years old and out of warranty. It has worked very well then all of a sudden when bringing in the slide with about 6" left to full close it squealed very loudly with 3 loud pops and then stopped. We retracted it and found a nice 3" tear drop shaped rip in our flooring. I removed the system from the wall and slide and discovered that the lower bearing block has a plastic wear guide that runs in the track. The plastic guide broke causing a metal on metal grinding on the track extrusion the bound up and the 3 pops were the pinion gear ripping the teeth from the rack. In now have to buy a repair kit for the rear side and rebuild it. Mind you we attended a GD rally and a seminar on maintaining the system and have done so from the beginning of ownership. The slides are cleaned and dry lubricated as instructed and it still broke and damaged the floor. I agree with what others have stated that the Schwintek has its limits. The slide in the 260RD IMO is way to large and heavy for that system. And to have it break after 2 years of light use? No Thanks.
    We like the trailer and have decided to have it replaced with the Vroom system.
    2021 GD 150 Series Reflection 260RD, Lifted 3" with solar. Lippert Turning Point Pin Box. 300watt Inverter. TV = 2021 4wd Ram 2500 Laramie Crew Cab I6 Cummins Diesel, 6'4" bed, Curt A16 puck system, Custom Bed Tank.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just posting an update as I am planning out the final details of the drive. We are having a Vroom slide installed in a week and a half. I will post another update after the installation.

2020 Imagine 2400BH
    2019 Ford Expedition

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast