User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my extended warranty short conversation with dealer this week. Background, ordered a new 310GK late October 2021, it was built end of Feb 2022. That was within the timeline of backlog when we placed the deposit & firmed up the agreement.

Delivery date is set for next week May 4, 2022, that is the earliest date the dealer could do. I've no issue with any of this as our weather & season is just beginning.

When I was presented with the extended wtty option, I explained to the individual that it is not warranty it is an insurance policy. No different than life insurance, no reply by the presenter.

Then I asked, how will this work when I have problems? It has taken you 2 months to get the RV from Grand Design & prep it for delivery? It has taken 7 months for you to complete sale & it is still not finalized.

How long will it take you to repair it? No reply or further discussion of Ext. wtty.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit.Rob
    I have extended warranties on all of my appliances and high dollar items. To register for these it's either free or very reasonable cost. For example, Dometic charged me only $180 for an additional 3 years (through Nov, 2025). If it fails after that I will install a 12V compressor fridge.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    I too agree that added cost extended warranties are crap on everything. However. I can see how the COVID rush of RVers the last few years and all the RV issue testimonials have probably created a boom market for those policies especially with newbie RVers hearing about them. And I bet the InsCos love it!

As for State Farm, they are no peach either.. a few years ago, a buddy of mine and I both had built 66 Cobra replica kit cars for around the same overall build price. Through our individual SF agents who used the same underwriter, the dif in premiums was over $1000 a year! Mine ended up being the lower one. After that and being a SF insured for over 30+ years, I started looking around. I eventually left them for USAA. Saved $2k plus a year on all my policies doing it. BTW, SF was sneaky about rate increases, eventhough they gave dividend checks and accident free on vehicles. In my research, USAA couldnt be beat. Thank goodness they dont insure "only" officers any more.
    Jim,

I’ve been with State Farm for over 50 years. Every few years I price other companies, USAA, AARP, Geico,
    Allstate etc. no one comes anywhere near cost wise. We have 2 cars, 1 truck, 1RV, 1 UTV, Umbrella policy all with SF.

18 months ago we had a hit and run accident where an uninsured driver ran a red light and T-boned our car. She was arrested 5 miles away when 2 good samaritans followed her and boxed her in until police arrived to arrest her.

My wife and I were transported to hospital via ambulance and our 1 year old car was totaled. SF paid us enough to buy a brand new identical replacement and put a few thousand dollars in our pocket. They paid all medical bills without question. They even paid us for “pain and suffering”. They eventually were able to recover our deductible from the uninsured driver and sent us a check for it. All this with no increase in premium.

The only other company I would consider is USAA. With all the discounts SF applies after being with them for over 10 years no one can compete with SF premiums.

In the past we had a decreasing term life policy that covered our mortgage just in case. Also had a nurses liability policy with them when my wife was doing some home health visits.

We’ve been with our current SF agent for 40 years when he first started and took over from former agent who retired. The personal touch and personal relationship can’t be beat. I would miss that with USAA.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    USAA can be beat, no nearly as good as they used to be for insurance. Once they opened up to. The masses their customer service went down and the rates are easily beatable. I bailed on them about 6 years ago on insurance. Banking is still good.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On our SF policies, we had 2 homes, 2 boats, 5 cars with accident free, and USAA beat them and everyone else. Now, not saying it could possibly be the agent? Cause Agents do play a big factor in how your policies are underwritten as was the case on my kit car. But, I know that SF was better than other non-USAA InsCos just not USAA itself. And, alot of InsCos get you on and then hike the rates in the years following. That did not happen with USAA.

I think your relationship with your agent, payout experience, and term of SF insured policies helps. Probably why I got the deal on my car that I did.

I also worked for InsCos during my IT career in Claims vs Premiums processing and know that they target certain folks for rate hikes, not always based on experience of the insured, zip code, or area they live.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    On our SF policies, we had 2 homes, 2 boats, 5 cars with accident free, and USAA beat them and everyone else.
    I just did an online quote with USAA just for my 2 cars and 1 truck. They were $111 higher monthly vs my State Farm policies. $288 vs $177 for the 3 coverages. SF is $244 monthly with additional $38 umbrella, $7 UTV, and $25 RV policies.

I think the low premium with SF is due to continued coverage for over 40 years.

Getting a USAA quote was easy to do since they automatically populated all my Stare Farm policies.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others have said - most extended warranties aren't worth it in the end. At the very least... ride out your factory warranty and make a decision near the end of that. If you are having ongoing issues with the unit, then might be worth it. And if you take the plunge... read the long list of fine print and nearly all of them require advance approval. I did it on my first Reflection as I had some issues with the slides covered under warranty and my dealer sold out to CW so didn't have a good option for future work if needed. I went with XtraRide and in the end I lucked out and it did pay off for me as they covered the replacement of the spring hangers (I broke 1 and another was nearly broke through). They paid for much better engineered solution from a local RV repair shop.

So far I am going to pass on any extended warranty for our 2022 351M-R (delivered last Aug) and pocket the money. While I have fixed/repaired/replaced a few things I consider minor, there hasn't been anything that I felt a need to go to the dealer for warranty (yet).
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you use the search function on the forum, you'll find that this question has been asked and answered many times.

My wife found a very good description of extended service plans a while back (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print). They are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit.

Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard have commented on these plans many times, too. The standard seems to be that 80% of extended service plan revenue goes toward commissions and marketing. Only 20% goes toward paying for actual repairs, which means most people are getting a really bad deal. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Rob
    Rob,
    Where did you get the editable map for your signature block? I would like to add one of those to my profile.
    2012 F-250 6.7L Diesel, SRW
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agree on USAA

Quote Originally Posted by FR8TFLYER View Post
    USAA can be beat, no nearly as good as they used to be for insurance. Once they opened up to. The masses their customer service went down and the rates are easily beatable. I bailed on them about 6 years ago on insurance. Banking is still good.
    I also was a 10+ year USAA insurance member who left after the homeowners premiums kept going up. I noticed this when I was moved from Arkansas to Texas. Since I bundle 2-3 autos, RV, and home, I was able to save substantially by moving to Allstate. Although the auto policy rates were similar, USAA was almost double on my homeowners policy. Maybe it has to do with all of the payouts they have to make for all of military members living near the East coast and Gulf getting wiped out by hurricanes on a regular basis. Unsure. I do still use their banking services.
    2012 F-250 6.7L Diesel, SRW
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fsgarrett View Post
    Rob,
    Where did you get the editable map for your signature block? I would like to add one of those to my profile.
    If you use the search function (top right on the menus), there are several posts on this topic. I usually use this site:

https://www.epgsoft.com/visited-states-map/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12