User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw some images of a KOA after a water spout hit the area. The RV with no slides was upside down. The RV with slides was canted over and resting on the bottom edge of the slide. Seems the slides might be a good thing to have out when the wind threatens to turn you over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    I saw some images of a KOA after a water spout hit the area. The RV with no slides was upside down. The RV with slides was canted over and resting on the bottom edge of the slide. Seems the slides might be a good thing to have out when the wind threatens to turn you over.

If winds are high enough to blow over an RV and we have a chance to leave, we'll never be there long enough to find out how good it is either way.

Besides the aftermath wouldn't matter to me, I wouldn't want a trailer thats been on any side but the correct side! Aint like a jeep, If you can read this roll me over... LOL!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +3 on tie downs for the toppers. We were out on the Outer Banks this time last year, and it can really blow out there. After a night of no sleep, I bought some 50 ft thin rope and just throw it over and cinch it down as necessary. Helped the sail-snapping down noise and, of course, water drainage. Don't put them up every time, but have them ready if a storm is threatening.

I saw a setup online, where you add a beach ball or other light-weight inflatable something or other under the topper, then tie it down - helps even more to keep it in place and for water runoff. I didn't have a beach ball at the time, so just went with the thin rope and that seems to work well enough.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post

Wife saw the same type of photo with a Solitude on its side. We bailed to the shelter with the camp hosts.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This post is not Solitude-specific, but the only exterior threads are under the different lines. I think this information will apply to slide toppers on any model.

Our first 4-1/2 years full-time were in a Reflection 337 without slide toppers. As we thought about what we would want or need in a new RV as we age, slide toppers became one of the items for discussion. We have spent as much or more time in the east as we have in the west and I was getting tired of climbing on top of the fifth wheel to clear off debris before pulling in slides - especially around oaks, sweet gums, etc. We talked about the disadvantages of toppers in high winds but decided to go ahead and order them on our Solitude.

We've been in the Solitude 26 months now - including one winter in the east and one winter in the west. The rig is noticeably cooler (and the ACs work less to keep it that way) in the summer. The toppers shed debris, ice/snow, and water when retracting the slides (care must be taken after a heavy rain to pull the slides in slowly and allow the water to drain off the toppers before bringing the slides all the way in).

We experienced a tropical storm the first summer in the east. This most recent winter in the southwest, the rig was oriented with the stern to the west with no protection from the wind. The OEM topper fabric is not the best in the world and we had a tear starting at the wall corner at the rear of the dinette slide... had that topper replaced before pulling out for our spring trip. In Page, AZ, a few weeks ago we experience winds of 35 - 45 MPH with gusts over 60 MPH. A reporting station 2 - 3 miles north of us (closer to lake Powell and the canyon) reported a gust of 89.5 MPH. The toppers all held but there are very early, small tears developing in the same places on the kitchen and bed slide toppers now. I've had a conversation with ShadePro and will replace all the toppers with an acrylic fabric (tan instead of black) when the time comes. Yes... I'm not getting any younger and, even with the disadvantages of toppers, we'll keep and replace them with better fabric.

So, bottom line: in our experience there are pros and cons to slide toppers but, for us, the pros outweigh the cons.

Rob
    Rob,

What brand and model of slide toppers do you have on your Solitude?
    When we bought our 2020 337 Grand Design, recommended Carefree Alpine slide toppers and I had the dealer install them. From pictures of Solitudes this may be what you have.

After 2 1/2 years the OEM fabric is completely shot and ready to rip. My last trailer the fabric lasted about twice as long. About six months ago the fabric started to chalk and the water that ran off was white, white topper. It left white spots on the side of the trailer that were very hard to remove. At that point the fabric was done. I solved the chalking by cleaning then treating with 303 protectant then 303 marine wax. Needless to say I am not impressed with the original fabric. In addition the end caps on the bedroom slide need to be replaced because the wind in the West has made the anti-billow mechanism loose and it bangs loudly when the wind blows.

Ok, my question. You state you have had discussions with Shadepro. When I looked at their web site, https://www.shadepro.net/, they are a Carefree dealer, have you been looking at Carefree fabric? On the Carefree web site it states that the Acrylic fabric is tough but not water proof like vinyl. It says to not touch the bottom of the fabric when wet because it will leak. What happens when the slide topper collects water and touches the top of the slide, will it leak? Did this topic come up in your conversations with Shadepro?
    Last edited by Always Learning; 06-05-2022 at 08:34 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Always Learning View Post
    Rob,

What brand and model of slide toppers do you have on your Solitude?
    When we bought our 2020 337 Grand Design, recommended Carefree Alpine slide toppers and I had the dealer install them. From pictures of Solitudes this may be what you have.

After 2 1/2 years the OEM fabric is completely shot and ready to rip. My last trailer the fabric lasted about twice as long. About six months ago the fabric started to chalk and the water that ran off was white, white topper. It left white spots on the side of the trailer that were very hard to remove. At that point the fabric was done. I solved the chalking by cleaning then treating with 303 protectant then 303 marine wax. Needless to say I am not impressed with the original fabric. In addition the end caps on the bedroom slide need to be replaced because the wind in the West has made the anti-billow mechanism loose and it bangs loudly when the wind blows.

Ok, my question. You state you have had discussions with Shadepro. When I looked at their web site, https://www.shadepro.net/, they are a Carefree dealer, have you been looking at Carefree fabric? On the Carefree web site it states that the Acrylic fabric is tough but not water proof like vinyl. It says to not touch the bottom of the fabric when wet because it will leak. What happens when the slide topper collects water and touches the top of the slide, will it leak? Did this topic come up in your conversations with Shadepro?
    They are Carefree (don't know which series). The OEM fabric is garbage. Carefree makes the mechanisms and sources the fabric from wherever depending on the price point the RV manufacturer specifies. No, I'm not looking at Carefree fabrics. ShadePro carries a line of ultra-heavy-duty breathable fabrics which is what we're looking at. I had them send color swatches and there's a lighter tan (they call it heather beige) that I think we'll go with. Funny story - they sent the three color samples I asked for with a hand-written ticket with the names of the three colors... but they didn't label the color swatches (which Bradd and Hall did with the UltraLeather for the Lambright love seats). I'll have to call them and try to determine which is which over the phone.

Now, to your question. Yes, the acrylic fabric is breathable and will let some water through. The purpose of the toppers is to shade the slides and shed debris when slides are retracted. The slides are designed to handle water, anyway - many slides don't have toppers over them. It's the two functions mentioned that I'm interested in. The lighter color and breathability will help with heat in the summer, too.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    They are Carefree (don't know which series). The OEM fabric is garbage. Carefree makes the mechanisms and sources the fabric from wherever depending on the price point the RV manufacturer specifies. No, I'm not looking at Carefree fabrics. ShadePro carries a line of ultra-heavy-duty breathable fabrics which is what we're looking at. I had them send color swatches and there's a lighter tan (they call it heather beige) that I think we'll go with. Funny story - they sent the three color samples I asked for with a hand-written ticket with the names of the three colors... but they didn't label the color swatches (which Bradd and Hall did with the UltraLeather for the Lambright love seats). I'll have to call them and try to determine which is which over the phone.

Now, to your question. Yes, the acrylic fabric is breathable and will let some water through. The purpose of the toppers is to shade the slides and shed debris when slides are retracted. The slides are designed to handle water, anyway - many slides don't have toppers over them. It's the two functions mentioned that I'm interested in. The lighter color and breathability will help with heat in the summer, too.

Rob
    Thanks for the reply.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Knock on wood, 3 days of tornado watches and severe T-storms - wind gust hit 69 early this morning with very heavy rain hitting us broadside. Power washed the right side of the trailer which the birds were feasting on. Everything seems intact.

Just spent 2 hours in the shelter after the sirens went off. Left side didn't get the same power wash.....

Just curious, other than the slide toppers, is there a wind speed you would pull in the slides?
    We sat through a storm cell with heavy rains and 60 MPH wind. Our Slide topper is no worse for wear. [emoji1360]

Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Damage from high winds is the main reason we tie down our toppers each and every time and never leave out our awning. First experience was in Arkansas with 40mph winds. Our toppers sounded like they were going to rip right off. Not to mention the horrible flapping noise all night. After tying them down the next day, and getting more strong winds that evening, it was day and night difference - little to no flapping noise, just wind shake on trailer which really cant be remedied anyway.

The night before we installed the tie downs, we did retract the slides. Since installing tie downs, dont worry much anymore, unless winds start to get very violent, or, extreme weather - then we will pull in the slides.

Caveat: No matter what you do to prevent it, 50 mph or higher winds will probably damage the toppers, awnings, and possibly the trailer. Any more than 45 Mph parked, we will probably be looking for a more solid structure to wait it out if we can find one. Insurance will sort it out later.

Too many years watching tornados and funnels come accross and down fields near Richards Gebaur AB growing up in MO.
    Wife lived in Belton during her Jr. High and High School years. Her Dad was stationed at Richard Gabaur AFB.
    #SmallWorld

Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KGoesele View Post
    Wife lived in Belton during her Jr. High and High School years. Her Dad was stationed at Richard Gabaur AFB.
    #SmallWorld

Notice USMC in sig.....Former Cimmaron Trails residents by chance? Seen it all at Gebaur, first USAF before Truman passed, then USMC Finance center marines and USAF Reserves, then US Army Reserves, and now I dont know whos running the military show up there. Also remember Calvary Bible College taking over most of the base after it closed.

I went to school at Belvidere Grade School in late 60's early 70's as an Army brat. Dad was a recruiting station NCOIC during Nam on Troost. Saw plenty of movies at the small theater, shopped at the BX and commissary (first one I remember with covered pull thru grocery pickup) on base. Also frequented the pools and DYA as a dependent. Lot of memories of that Airbase, Belton, and Truman Corners growing up.

Small world for sure!
    Last edited by trailrydr; 06-07-2022 at 10:03 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast