User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Report on slide topper experience

This post is not Solitude-specific, but the only exterior threads are under the different lines. I think this information will apply to slide toppers on any model.

Our first 4-1/2 years full-time were in a Reflection 337 without slide toppers. As we thought about what we would want or need in a new RV as we age, slide toppers became one of the items for discussion. We have spent as much or more time in the east as we have in the west and I was getting tired of climbing on top of the fifth wheel to clear off debris before pulling in slides - especially around oaks, sweet gums, etc. We talked about the disadvantages of toppers in high winds but decided to go ahead and order them on our Solitude.

We've been in the Solitude 26 months now - including one winter in the east and one winter in the west. The rig is noticeably cooler (and the ACs work less to keep it that way) in the summer. The toppers shed debris, ice/snow, and water when retracting the slides (care must be taken after a heavy rain to pull the slides in slowly and allow the water to drain off the toppers before bringing the slides all the way in).

We experienced a tropical storm the first summer in the east. This most recent winter in the southwest, the rig was oriented with the stern to the west with no protection from the wind. The OEM topper fabric is not the best in the world and we had a tear starting at the wall corner at the rear of the dinette slide... had that topper replaced before pulling out for our spring trip. In Page, AZ, a few weeks ago we experience winds of 35 - 45 MPH with gusts over 60 MPH. A reporting station 2 - 3 miles north of us (closer to lake Powell and the canyon) reported a gust of 89.5 MPH. The toppers all held but there are very early, small tears developing in the same places on the kitchen and bed slide toppers now. I've had a conversation with ShadePro and will replace all the toppers with an acrylic fabric (tan instead of black) when the time comes. Yes... I'm not getting any younger and, even with the disadvantages of toppers, we'll keep and replace them with better fabric.

So, bottom line: in our experience there are pros and cons to slide toppers but, for us, the pros outweigh the cons.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 04-29-2022 at 06:27 PM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tx's for the report!

Interesting on the fabric quality, never had considered that. When we ordered our 310GK back in Oct I was insistent to get factory slide toppers. The dealer said oh no we can do that here, never was there any discussion about the quality. I did not want the dealer drilling holes in the new rig, so factory they are.

When shopping other dealer there was many school of thoughts whether or not you should have toppers.

My current fifth wheel has two slides, the super slide is 27' long with a topper, the second slide is 13' with "no" topper. We've had this rig several season's & very reason the new 310GK is coming with topper covers.

We do not get the winds you refer to & probably not the severe rain. I've never liked being on the roof, the other owner has no issue so she has most roof duties.

Awesome report, these are details you don't normally get....especially from the sales guys! Ha!

It's very difficult to get useful information from most dealers, this is a perfect example.

BTW, delivery is set for 12:30 Wednesday, hopefully it will be in my driveway late afternoon.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Second Chance;425103 The toppers shed debris, ice/snow, and water when retracting the slides (care must be taken after a heavy rain to pull the slides in slowly and allow the water to drain off the toppers before bringing the slides all the way in).

We experienced a tropical storm the first summer in the east. This most recent winter in the southwest, the rig was oriented with the stern to the west with no protection from the wind. The OEM topper fabric is not the best in the world and we had a tear starting at the wall corner at the rear of the dinette slide... had that topper replaced before pulling out for our spring trip. In Page, AZ, a few weeks ago we experience winds of 35 - 45 MPH with gusts over 60 MPH. A reporting station 2 - 3 miles north of us (closer to lake Powell and the canyon) reported a gust of 89.5 MPH. The toppers all held but there are very early, small tears developing in the same places on the kitchen and bed slide toppers now. I've had a conversation with ShadePro and will replace all the toppers with an acrylic fabric (tan instead of black) when the time comes. Yes... I'm not getting any younger and, even with the disadvantages of toppers, we'll keep and replace them with better fabric.

Rob[/QUOTE]

Rob,
    Thanks for the report. Where we park the trailer is up slope of a hill, valley in between, and hill on the other side - about two miles in total. Directly NNW of us so when a front comes through we get some significant gusts that just feed on the terrain. Last week, weather warnings were for gusts 35kts and 50kts during a nor'easter. Often stressed about whether I should pull the slides in. Nice to know they hold up.

And I learned about the amount of water they hold the hard way. After a lot of rain, pulled the slides in while I had my head looking out the door - drenched.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Knock on wood, 3 days of tornado watches and severe T-storms - wind gust hit 69 early this morning with very heavy rain hitting us broadside. Power washed the right side of the trailer which the birds were feasting on. Everything seems intact.

Just spent 2 hours in the shelter after the sirens went off. Left side didn't get the same power wash.....

Just curious, other than the slide toppers, is there a wind speed you would pull in the slides?

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    ... Just curious, other than the slide toppers, is there a wind speed you would pull in the slides?
    This has been discussed a few times. Except for the slide toppers, I'm not sure slides in or out would make much difference in stability during high winds. We did not have slide toppers on our Reflection and did not pull the slides in during high winds. The only reason we pull the slides in on the Solitude is the toppers.

Glad you made it through the storms OK.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damage from high winds is the main reason we tie down our toppers each and every time and never leave out our awning. First experience was in Arkansas with 40mph winds. Our toppers sounded like they were going to rip right off. Not to mention the horrible flapping noise all night. After tying them down the next day, and getting more strong winds that evening, it was day and night difference - little to no flapping noise, just wind shake on trailer which really cant be remedied anyway.

The night before we installed the tie downs, we did retract the slides. Since installing tie downs, dont worry much anymore, unless winds start to get very violent, or, extreme weather - then we will pull in the slides.

Caveat: No matter what you do to prevent it, 50 mph or higher winds will probably damage the toppers, awnings, and possibly the trailer. Any more than 45 Mph parked, we will probably be looking for a more solid structure to wait it out if we can find one. Insurance will sort it out later.

Too many years watching tornados and funnels come accross and down fields near Richards Gebaur AB growing up in MO.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 05-30-2022 at 02:41 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob, thanks for the detailed report on your experience with the toppers. Our experience is similar, albeit on a mh and not a trailer or fiver. Certainly more weight involved as our previous class a was like 20k empty. Toppers faired will over the years, but did require repair at about 8 yrs. Not the fabric though, it was the tensioner rod that bent. We are in the same thoughts as you, definitely some cons, but for us worth it. I just need to install three of them now…lol.

@aig617, glad you guys are ok after the storms.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Damage from high winds is the main reason we tie down our toppers each and every time and never leave out our awning. First experience was in Arkansas with 40mph winds. Our toppers sounded like they were going to rip right off. Not to mention the horrible flapping noise all night.
    First I've seen mention of tying down toppers so I have to ask how you tie them down? We had awnings in - really didn't need them due to location of trees on the site and we were out and about most of the time. The pines also buffered us from the wind so we didn't shake too badly. Had some interesting weather the last two weeks - freeze warning, 95F heat, a lot of downpours in multiple states, high crosswinds on the interstate but a couple of beautiful days by the lake.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Report on slide topper experience

First I've seen mention of tying down toppers so I have to ask how you tie them down? We had awnings in - really didn't need them due to location of trees on the site and we were out and about most of the time. The pines also buffered us from the wind so we didn't shake too badly. Had some interesting weather the last two weeks - freeze warning, 95F heat, a lot of downpours in multiple states, high crosswinds on the interstate but a couple of beautiful days by the lake.
    On my class a I had clamps that attached to the fabric with two flat surfaces and clamped to the support bar to keep from flapping, but that was an awning clamp. Not sure it will work with the topper as I think about it. No support bar.

Here is the clamp on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUQOEU...9N2S8747ACHW1E
    Last edited by Redapple63; 05-30-2022 at 04:45 PM.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use suction cups and bungy rope ove the top of each topper to help both wind-sailing and water-pooling.

2 suction cups, 1 on each side of slide with stretchable rope losely draped over the topper attached via the plastic hook to the cups with excess rope wrapped around the cup handles. The weight of the rope alone will slightly pull down the topper side edges so water will drain.

IMO, it has worked very well in both high winds and/or rainy conditions.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-i...ter-57499.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/25-ft-...iABEgJAyPD_BwE
    Last edited by trailrydr; 05-30-2022 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Took out misc info.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast