User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Notice USMC in sig.....Former Cimmaron Trails residents by chance? Seen it all at Gebaur, first USAF before Truman passed, then USMC Finance center marines and USAF Reserves, then US Army Reserves, and now I dont know whos running the military show up there. Also remember Calvary Bible College taking over most of the base after it closed.

I went to school at Belvidere Grade School in late 60's early 70's as an Army brat. Dad was a recruiting station NCOIC during Nam on Troost. Saw plenty of movies at the small theater, shopped at the BX and commissary (first one I remember with covered pull thru grocery pickup) on base. Also frequented the pools and DYA as a dependent. Lot of memories of that Airbase, Belton, and Truman Corners growing up.

Small world for sure!
    My wife’s time in Belton was in the 80s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    This post is not Solitude-specific, but the only exterior threads are under the different lines. I think this information will apply to slide toppers on any model.

Our first 4-1/2 years full-time were in a Reflection 337 without slide toppers. As we thought about what we would want or need in a new RV as we age, slide toppers became one of the items for discussion. We have spent as much or more time in the east as we have in the west and I was getting tired of climbing on top of the fifth wheel to clear off debris before pulling in slides - especially around oaks, sweet gums, etc. We talked about the disadvantages of toppers in high winds but decided to go ahead and order them on our Solitude.

We've been in the Solitude 26 months now - including one winter in the east and one winter in the west. The rig is noticeably cooler (and the ACs work less to keep it that way) in the summer. The toppers shed debris, ice/snow, and water when retracting the slides (care must be taken after a heavy rain to pull the slides in slowly and allow the water to drain off the toppers before bringing the slides all the way in).

We experienced a tropical storm the first summer in the east. This most recent winter in the southwest, the rig was oriented with the stern to the west with no protection from the wind. The OEM topper fabric is not the best in the world and we had a tear starting at the wall corner at the rear of the dinette slide... had that topper replaced before pulling out for our spring trip. In Page, AZ, a few weeks ago we experience winds of 35 - 45 MPH with gusts over 60 MPH. A reporting station 2 - 3 miles north of us (closer to lake Powell and the canyon) reported a gust of 89.5 MPH. The toppers all held but there are very early, small tears developing in the same places on the kitchen and bed slide toppers now. I've had a conversation with ShadePro and will replace all the toppers with an acrylic fabric (tan instead of black) when the time comes. Yes... I'm not getting any younger and, even with the disadvantages of toppers, we'll keep and replace them with better fabric.

So, bottom line: in our experience there are pros and cons to slide toppers but, for us, the pros outweigh the cons.

Rob
    Hey Rob... you are always so helpful... so here goes another slide topper question....
    We have a 2021 337RLS and I am considering getting slide toppers for it for at least 3 reasons... (1) help with snow/rain removal before bringing in the slides, (2) protection from tree/bird junk, and (3) help with keeping the cabin cooler in the summer heat...

We are part timers... just use the RV spring-fall.... so is it really worth it to get the toppers? What are some downsides in getting them? Any suggestions on what to get for the 337RLS (even though you did not use them on your 337)? Get them through the dealer but make sure that they are Grand Design 'approved'? No rush... and if I do it, it will most likely be this fall when our travels slow down and I can get it in for the work...

Many thanks!
    Cowboychincs
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 Ford F-350 6.7L Diesel Platinum
    Castle Rock, CO

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboychincs View Post
    Hey Rob... you are always so helpful... so here goes another slide topper question....
    We have a 2021 337RLS and I am considering getting slide toppers for it for at least 3 reasons... (1) help with snow/rain removal before bringing in the slides, (2) protection from tree/bird junk, and (3) help with keeping the cabin cooler in the summer heat...

We are part timers... just use the RV spring-fall.... so is it really worth it to get the toppers? What are some downsides in getting them? Any suggestions on what to get for the 337RLS (even though you did not use them on your 337)? Get them through the dealer but make sure that they are Grand Design 'approved'? No rush... and if I do it, it will most likely be this fall when our travels slow down and I can get it in for the work...

Many thanks!
    The three reasons you give are the main reasons for us, too. However, only you can make the decision on whether or not toppers are worth it for you. I would not recommend ordering the toppers through Grand Design - the OEM fabric is the lowest quality available. I would see if you can order everything through ShadePro or such and get the heavy-duty acrylic fabric. Only a few companies make the hardware but it's the fabric that makes all the difference in the world.

The main downside to slide toppers is noise in high winds. We've settled into a long-term site for a while and I have run paracord over the tops of ours and tied them down to help with the flapping in winds.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123