User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you got it figured out. Sounds like that simple assembly error ( not enough bearing preload and a bad seal) was the source of all your woes. Once it goes back together let’s hope for many many trouble free miles.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fingers crossed - thanks Bill!
    2020 Ford F-350 XLT DRW Long Box w/ 6.7 Diesel & 3.55 Gear Ratio
    B&W Turnoverball Goose Ball Hitch
    2021 Reflection 367BHS w/ Reese Goose Box 20k

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick Update - After another trip back to the axle shop (I hadn't realized new brake assemblies do not include a dust backing plate - they forgot to give me a new one so I had to drive an hour each way this morning to get one) I got everything successfully put back together without any trouble, and zero movement/clunking of the bearings. Happy to say the 300km drive today went very smoothly with no issues - that wheel stayed the same temp as all the others! Thanks all for the suggestions and advice.
    2020 Ford F-350 XLT DRW Long Box w/ 6.7 Diesel & 3.55 Gear Ratio
    B&W Turnoverball Goose Ball Hitch
    2021 Reflection 367BHS w/ Reese Goose Box 20k

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm_bc_ View Post
    Quick Update - After another trip back to the axle shop (I hadn't realized new brake assemblies do not include a dust backing plate - they forgot to give me a new one so I had to drive an hour each way this morning to get one) I got everything successfully put back together without any trouble, and zero movement/clunking of the bearings. Happy to say the 300km drive today went very smoothly with no issues - that wheel stayed the same temp as all the others! Thanks all for the suggestions and advice.
    If you really have ZERO play in the bearings, they are too tight and will fail. Tapered bearings are to be run at zero clearance..... When they are hot. They SHOULD have a little play when cold. As they warm up,
    expansion will take up that little bit of play. No play when cold= too tight when hot. That is bad.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    If you really have ZERO play in the bearings, they are too tight and will fail. Tapered bearings are to be run at zero clearance..... When they are hot. They SHOULD have a little play when cold. As they warm up,
    expansion will take up that little bit of play. No play when cold= too tight when hot. That is bad.
    Could you explain this a little more? When you say zero play will damage, then do you mean you should be able to grab the top and bottom of the tire and while rocking it be able to feel a little in to out movement? Also, what then is zero clearance?

When adjusting, I used to leave just the slightest amount of movement in to out in the wheel, and never had a bearing issue. I was then told that you should really adjust to NO movement.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One Wheel Heating up!

Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    When adjusting, I used to leave just the slightest amount of movement in to out in the wheel, and never had a bearing issue. I was then told that you should really adjust to NO movement.
    I believe that this is exactly what huntindog is trying to convey. This is how I do it.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my mind, NO movement would be too tight. JMO of course.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Dexter video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnH-h3W9XvI
    See minute 6:00. States 50ft-lbs, then backoff nut, lightly tighten nut with fingers and then loosen nut to find first cotter pin hole and install cotter pin. Agrees with Hoppy/others and not tight.
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 05-04-2022 at 09:52 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem caused by bearing was not fully seated during assembly?
    Last edited by TimtheToolMan; 05-04-2022 at 10:06 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    I believe that this is exactly what huntindog is trying to convey. This is how I do it.

Bill
    Which is he trying to convey, a little side to side play or none? Obviously we are talking about side to side play, not rotational play. We know the wheel should turn freely after tightening. The video in post #18 gives perfect advice on tightening the retaining nut, but does not comment if any side to side (rocking the tire) should or should not be present.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast