User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    If you use the search function (upper right) on the forum, you'll find many threads on this topic. I recently wrote this review after a little over two years with slide toppers:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...=slide+toppers

Rob
    Hi Rob, just got down reading your review of the slide toppers from a couple of years ago. Thanks for the analysis on them. I have a couple of questions for you. Did you get the tan acrylic fabric installed? And if so, have you noticed a difference in the heat transfer going from black to tan? And how well is the acrylic holding up?
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    ...And there is no maintenance, maybe wash them every once in a while if the mood strikes you. We had them for ten years on our last trailer, and never did a thing to them. I got them to lessen the amount of work we have to do, not add to it...
    I would agree with you 100%...If we didn't have any problems. Let me say that we would never be without slide toppers. They shade the sun and keep most of the leaves out of the rubber seals. They also keep most of the rainwater away from the upper seals.

Now... Our 2016 Solitude has Carefree of Colorado toppers. One of them locked up and wouldn't wind up without help...10 feet tall help. New parts that lock the topper from ballooning on the freeway fixed that.

The next year the stitching (pure nylon...think cheap fishing line) on the plastic rope for the rope track (pure nylon) for the kitchen slide (about 10 feet) let go. My wife used more 'fishing line' out of my tacklebox to sew the plastic rope back into the seam. This Easter, while packing to go back to Michigan I found that the rope seam in the first topper mentioned above let go. I had to take the topper off (in a downpour) so we could go home without the topper flapping itself to death on the freeway. She found my tacklebox again and now that one is back installed.

I think if one is able, a UV resistant wax coating might help them last longer. Would have another RV without them!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lorend View Post
    Hi Rob, just got down reading your review of the slide toppers from a couple of years ago. Thanks for the analysis on them. I have a couple of questions for you. Did you get the tan acrylic fabric installed? And if so, have you noticed a difference in the heat transfer going from black to tan? And how well is the acrylic holding up?
    I only wrote that review a week or two ago so, no, we haven't arrived at our longer-term location where I can order the acrylic fabric and find an installer. That probably won't happen until this summer or fall.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12