User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question slide out covers

Is it a good idea to have slide out covers installed?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had them on both of our coaches. It keeps the top of the slide free of debris, shields the top of the slide from rain (and the extra noise), and shades the slide when it's in the sun. BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Differing opinions on them, but most people, and especially ones that have had them, would say they are good at what they do. Personally I wouldn't have a trailer without them. And we just bought some a couple months ago for our new-to-us 3-slide toyhauler.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the group. @Soundsailor pretty much gave you the positives. If debris does get in between, like leafs and sort, it might be a little challenging to clean. Sometimes during wind storms they might become noisy but there's fixes to that. Also it's something else to take care of and worry about. But I also think that the pros outlay the cons. Oh and there's cost. Lol

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    We've had them on both of our coaches. It keeps the top of the slide free of debris, shields the top of the slide from rain (and the extra noise), and shades the slide when it's in the sun. BTW, welcome to the forum.
    Thank you! We were thinking it's best to have them so looks like we are going to have to spend the money.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same question. We decided to hold off for now. I kept looking at all the RV's during our first RV trip last month. 22 days. Seems to me it's about 50/50. I just used my ladder and as soon as I disconnect the water line, l use a spray nozzle and from the ladder, hose off any debris from the top of the slide. That solves the debris issue. The Solera for my unit is $540.00. I think since we currently plan on only being on the road for perhaps 3 months a year, I will hold off. One less item to maintain, and 40 less pounds. Taking a two month trip Sept and Oct. May change my mind after that trip.

How much it saves on long term slide out protection is my question. I do not figure on keeping the RV for more than 5 years. And travel will be during April - Oct. What to do, what to do???
    Bob & Francie - Oceanside CA
    2018 F150 Platinum, SuperCrew 4x4 3.5L V6 EB, 145”WB, Max trailer tow pkg
    Our RV: Imagine 2022 XLS 22MLE - Purchased 2/22/2022.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There aren't any real monetary savings to be reaped from the slide toppers. They make life easier, by eliminating that climbing on the ladder to clean off the slides. And there is no maintenance, maybe wash them every once in a while if the mood strikes you. We had them for ten years on our last trailer, and never did a thing to them. I got them to lessen the amount of work we have to do, not add to it.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    There aren't any real monetary savings to be reaped from the slide toppers. They make life easier, by eliminating that climbing on the ladder to clean off the slides. And there is no maintenance, maybe wash them every once in a while if the mood strikes you. We had them for ten years on our last trailer, and never did a thing to them. I got them to lessen the amount of work we have to do, not add to it.
    When we purchased ours, we had the dealership add on the slide topper and the vented covers over both vents to protect from rain, snow, etc. We haven’t had the slide out yet, so crossing our fingers it’s fully functional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Karl - USMC - DAV 🇺🇸
    2004 Ford F-350 Powerstroke Super-duty 6.0L (Bulletproofed 😁) 202k miles | 2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22 MLE | Trailer Tires: Goodyear Endurance ‘D’ rated

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use the search function (upper right) on the forum, you'll find many threads on this topic. I recently wrote this review after a little over two years with slide toppers:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...=slide+toppers

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wish I had them

I learned that they are indeed a good idea last year in NE. we had a lot of snow and I forgot to sweep the slides roofs. I tweaked the slide and damaged the drive. Would’ve cost less to have them added.
    Phillip
    2021 F250 King Ranch 6.7L PS SRW SB CC 4x4 Tremor, 35k inverter, 60gal S&B tank.
    2019 312 BHTS, MORyde CRE300, five leaf 6k leafsprings , MORyde heavy duty shackles.
    Non Destructive Examiner- Oilfield Trash

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast