User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Former Airstream Owner now a GD Owner!

I recently traded my 2016 Airstream Classic for a 2022 GD 295RL Fifth Wheel. WHY? My wife keeps asking the same question! First, the value of my Airstream was insane - I was offered the same price today for what I paid for it nearly five years ago! So I trade it for a new 2022 GD 295RL and a handful of cash. I get lots more living and storage space, upgraded technology, and a smoother ride. What's not to like? Regardless, I thought about the decision long and hard. Yet, the impressions of current GD owners helped me - so THANKS! Airstream is nice but not perfect. They have their issues just as any other RV manufacturer. Our RV use is changing, with fewer cross-country trips and more staying in one place for several weeks or months. So we needed more space for living and storage - thus the change.

Previously I owned a 40 ft Damon Diesel Pusher - a blast to drive, especially in the mountains, but too old. The Airstream gave me the ease of a TT with no slides - simplicity. Yet, I have had my eye on GD for several years. Listening to GD owners gave me the confidence to pull the trigger when the dealer was willing to pay me more than I anticipated for my six-year-old AS - deal done!
    I look forward to many years as a GD owner!

I can now say that we owned a Class A, TT, and now a Fifth Wheel. Maybe a Class B is in our future!

Ray & Debbie Giese
    Chicagoland area
    Ray & Debbie Giese
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 295RL Fifth Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Super Duty Crew Cab
    Former Airstream & Diesel Pusher Owner

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the group

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of did the same. Sold the Flying Cloud for a great price and bought a GD 312 bhts. Also our needs are changing to longer term living, off and on.

We love the room in the GD. Much better fit for us going forward. It’s longer, heavier, and more complex, but, well, the room inside. Nice. At our age, resale value is getting less important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyStar View Post
    Kind of did the same. Sold the Flying Cloud for a great price and bought a GD 312 bhts. Also our needs are changing to longer term living, off and on.

We love the room in the GD. Much better fit for us going forward. It’s longer, heavier, and more complex, but, well, the room inside. Nice. At our age, resale value is getting less important.

Thanks for your words! I had to check my sanity for a while and my wife fought the decision, But, like you, our RV patterns have changed - more time in one spot (weeks and months) and the added living and storage space will be great. I also welcome the added technology upgrades. Airstreams are nice but like any RV, they have their issues. It was fun, but need to move forward!

Last word: my wife made me promise that if the new GD 295RL does not work out I have to buy her a newer AS Classic!
    Ray & Debbie Giese

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When your outside you may miss the pleasing lines of the Airstream. But when your inside you will likely love the room.

2021 Reflection 312 BHTS, Silverado 2500 Duramax

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, the space and comfort in our new 5er were big factors in buying. And the crazy trade-in offer was similar to yours. Hope you enjoy the new coach.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny, my wife and I have used her parent's 5th wheel over the years, and she always said that if/when we buy our own RV, she wanted an Airstream, as she loves the way they look. It just took one look inside our Transcend 240ML for her to fall in love with it (floorplan and décor.) I have to say that I really like the floor plan and amenities myself, so we are both very happy with it. When we upgrade down the road to a 5th wheel, it will be a Grand Design for sure. Enjoy your 295RL and welcome to the forum.
    Steve & Laura
    2021 Transcend 240ML
    2013 F150 3.5L Ecoboost 4x4 SuperCrew SB

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THX! I will take the money all day long!
    Ray & Debbie Giese

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THX! It was nice to travel from coast to coast in the AS, but now we stay in places for longer periods and will enjoy the added room!
    Ray & Debbie Giese