User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tow Vehicle

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To play devils advocate here in regards to towing the 303 with a 3/4 ton. There is no doubt in my mind that it would work and tow very safely. We towed our 295RL for three years with a 3/4 ton Ram Cummins that I know was over the pin weight limit by probably 500 pounds all said when we fully loaded. The old saying holds true, I honestly did not know it was back there. However, I always had it in the back of my mind what would happen if I was in an accident? Even if it could be successfully proven the weight on the truck was not the reason or cause of the accident but based on what has been previous printed I was concerned someone was going to end up owning my house. Is this folk lore the stories out there or are there actual documented cases where someone got beat up in civil court even though weight had nothing to do with the accident? For the record I purchased a 3500 Ram this spring. I'm good to go.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I am not the tow police so I only ask that others sharing the highways with the rest of us do so as safely as possible.
    It's good to ask this question but there is no substitute for confirming the actual weights on your particular truck and trailer.
    The door sticker is a good guideline but also doesn't substitute for actual weights. I purchased a new 2021 GMC 3500 AT4 pretty much fully loaded.
    The door sticker says payload is 3845. I took it directly from the lot to a scale and determined that the actual payload was 3550 so I lost almost 300 lbs. before starting.
    One response suggested that you load your truck as you would if going camping including all gear, passengers, full fuel, the hitch if you have one (otherwise allow for it), etc. and weigh it.
    Deduct that weight from your truck specs and you will know the real payload is. I think that's good advice.
    Then you decide what you are comfortable with.
    I have a 303 but I think our loading practices must be a bit excessive because I can easily overload with the GMC 3500 at door sticker of 3845.
    I could not do what we do with a 3/4 ton vehicle. Our rear axle is rated at 7250 and the tires are 7280. I am mostly concerned about the tires.
    My personal limit is the rated capacities of the components but I realize that some are willing to exceed these and as I said above, do whatever you are comfortable with but, please be safe out there.
    2021 Reflection 303rls
    2021 GMC 3500HD AT4 4X4 Duramax Standard Box
    2021 B&W Companion

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Viper61 View Post
    Did you add airbags to your truck or does it sit pretty level when hitched up without them? How do you like the 303?
    No airbags, I don’t think they’re needed. The truck drops about an inch or two when hooked to the 303RLS..
    2021 GD Reflection 303RLS 5th wheel
    2020 GMC Denali 2500HD - 6.6L Duramax/10 Speed Allison
    Demco 21K Auto Slide 5th wheel hitch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123