User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick and dirty LED strip tail light

I have been struggling once I found out that I was hiding my stock tail lights with the covered bike rack that I added to the back of our trailer. It took a while to to realize why that guy behind is trying to pass on my right with turn signal on, duh!

So, I needed to increase the visibility of my tail lights. Not knowing the wall construction of a trailer I was very reluctant to try to fish wire (not like 2X4's and drywall) up these fiber glass foam panels. I landed on an approach that ended up I think working out, at least it my needs. I found tail light strips on Amazon that had the 4 way flat plug, who knew. I ran one up each side with the wires facing down. Drilled a small, 5/16" (i think) in the fiberglass wall and fished the wire from the side over to hole behind the removed tail light. I had to do some digging to tunnel through the foam behind the fiberglass, but was get an 8" zip-tie horizontal from the new hole and coax it out through the hole behind the tail light. I used a small to tunnel through the styrofoam, something like a one of those dry way saws. I eventually was able t pull the 4 wires of the LED strip into the new hole and out the hole behind the tail light. Connected up the wiring, tying the left and right turn signal wire together so the whole strip would flash with brake or turn signal. Had to go back into the first light I wired up because I didn't get the wiring correct. Below is the strips that I used. I also planned on replacing the older led tail lights with a bit new more led design and glad I did, had a real problem getting the first one and broke the trim ring and flange for the light. Used a plastic putty knife to pry my lights off and found out that the lights were put on after the decals, which will come with the light sealant. I reapplied black silicon sealant to to seal the tail lights and to cover the new hole and the wires going through the hole.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Trailer Lights.jpg  
    2020 Imagine 2500RL
    ProPride P3
    2021 F250 6.7L PSD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks good Quiglenj! I have been thinking of doing something similar and I like what you did. I might have to copy it!

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I added some extra light to the Momentum 394 last year.....

Taillights only...

And then with the brake lights on....
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MN-Mark View Post
    Looks good Quiglenj! I have been thinking of doing something similar and I like what you did. I might have to copy it!

Mark
    If you have any questions, let me have them. Interesting the wire color for the left and right turn signal were totally different, so take notes. If you are careful scaping off the tail lights, they do stick pretty well, you can probably save yourself the cost to replace them. I just don't trust myself as I just seem to get impatient and force things.

I will have to add some night pics with/without brakes like @xrated has shown.
    2020 Imagine 2500RL
    ProPride P3
    2021 F250 6.7L PSD

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @xrated those definitely must get drivers attention.
    2020 Imagine 2500RL
    ProPride P3
    2021 F250 6.7L PSD

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quiglenj View Post
    @xrated those definitely must get drivers attention.
    Thank you. I put them on in anticipation of adding a receiver hitch to the back of the trailer for a bike rack. I got the receiver hitch on late last year, and then we sold our regular bike and bought some ebikes....and they are ever larger that our original bikes. I'm sure they will be very useful for making sure the bikes don't block the low placed OEM lights that came on the trailer.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"