User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    sdabkh

27RL pin box clearanc issue in uneven grades

I recently purchased Reflection 27RL. I have a B&W Companion slider hitch in my Truck (2014 Silverado 2500HD, Duramax, Crew Cab Standard box). My drive way entrance is a virtual obstacle course with trees and multiple mailbox stands and a culvert that I have to cross over. In addition my drive way slopes drastically up to the road which in turn slopes to the right. Navigating this uphill and then down again 90 deg turn with the mailbox/tree/culvert obstacles is challenging. Putting the slider hitch in to the rear "maneuvering" position makes this maneuver much easier. The problem is with the drastic changes in the grade between my house and road causes the rear of my pinbox bracket to scrape the inside of my tailgate and bed rails when maneuvering. I currently have the basic lippert pinbox in a 1621 configuration which has the distance from the king pin to the first row of bolts at 17.75", The Flex Air M15 (https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel.../LC328484.html) Air in a 0719 configuration shortens this distance by almost 4" which would remove the contact problem. My 5th wheel is already riding high in the front so simply trying to raise the hitch and or pinbox will only decrease the levelness of the trailer for towing and would only solve the current clearance situation and may not work for other terrain issues that I may come in contact with.

Considering the Flex air mention above or a MorRyde pin box and I am also considering a suspension upgrade as in the Aqua-Flex.

Since I need change pin box configurations I might as well make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Any recommendations on pin box styles and suspension upgrades?

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I can't help you with your questions. But , I just wanted to say congrats on your Reflection, and welcome to the family!
    I'm sure somebody will be by soon with some good advice.
    Scott and Jan Platt Ocala, FL
    Cameron(Son) & Chica(chihuahua)
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 4X4, Crew Cab, Dually, Diesel
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sdabkh

27rl

Thank you for the greeting. I HOPE YOUR expectations

sdabkh
    This tablet is weird. Was supposed to read : Hope your summer adventures exceed your expectations!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the trailer is not making contact with the top of the truck bed rails but rather the length of the pin box hitting the tailgate and side of the bed(s). If it was just the tailgate, the cheap fix would be to remove the tailgate before going up the driveway. But since it's more than that, I think you'll need to invest in that shorter pin box you are looking at.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But wouldn't a shorter pin box then negate the sliding hitch causing contact with the cab?
    2015 F350 CC 4x4 KR High Capacity Tow Package
    2014 Momentum 355TH #770
    2014 Yamaha Adventurer 2+2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sdabkh
    That is a good question, however the B&W slider hitch has the longest travel of the slider hitches that I was looking at. The B&W companion slider hitch (installed) moves the receiver 12" to the rear. The amount of clearance I have with the hitch in the rear position is ridiculous. The new pin box will short the distance to the king pin between 4 and 5 inches. I won't be able to make as sharp of a turn with the hitch in the towing position (can almost complete a tight U-turn...almost), but in the maneuvering position (slid and locked in the rear position) I will still be able to position the truck at a 90 deg angle to the 5th wheel....I ordered the Flex air pinbox today as they had free shipping on orders over $99 that ends tonight(https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel.../LC328484.html).