User Tag List

Thread: Carbon Monoxide

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Carbon Monoxide

A question for Solitude owners with front bedroom floorplans and a propane generator in the front compartment under the nose:

Have you ever slept with the generator running? Worried about CO poisoning.

We just had a 400 ah solar system installed and it appears that the batteries won't see us through even a moderately warm night with the ac set at a conservative level. So, we will need to either use a fan or run the generator.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say if it is a real concern but why not add a CO detector to the bedroom to be sure?
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Momentum is basically the same setup. No problem with running while sleeping although we do keep the windows on the exhaust side closed.

There should be a CO detector already there on the bedroom ceiling.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, there is a co detector on the ceiling. I’m not certain about the efficacy of that arrangement. Will the co hit us before it gets up there? I have 2 detectors ready to install at bed-level before running the generator overnight. Do I sound paranoid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 GMC 3500 HD Denali

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Certainly can't hurt... not paranoid just cautious.

Recently did a bit of research on CO vs. Smoke detectors (didn't realize CO in bedroom and smoke in living/kitchen. Thought they were the same.)

Apparently CO mixes in where Smoke rises. So CO detector at any height should work. Which also means the exhaust shouldn't "rise" into the bedroom before diluting outside.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCR GD View Post
    Certainly can't hurt... not paranoid just cautious.

Recently did a bit of research on CO vs. Smoke detectors (didn't realize CO in bedroom and smoke in living/kitchen. Thought they were the same.)

Apparently CO mixes in where Smoke rises. So CO detector at any height should work. Which also means the exhaust shouldn't "rise" into the bedroom before diluting outside.
    CO is technically heavier than air, however, only slightly heaver, consequently, CO detectors can be placed at any level inside a room and be effective.

This being said, there is no guarantee that you couldn't have an exhaust leak inside the compartment where the Generator is housed and no guarantee that the exhaust would get mixed with the outside air as it would if the exhaust were properly exiting through the tail pipe.

If I were to try sleeping with the Generator running, I would absolutely have at least two CO detectors installed in the bedroom at different levels above the floor (I would probably not install one on the ceiling if I could avoid it), I would also install a third detector inside the closet because that air does not circulate and CO might accumulate in the closet earlier than inside the bedroom itself.

Additionally, with 400ah of battery storage and a modest setting on your A/C unit you could probably run your A/C overnight if your batteries were fully charged just prior to going to bed. I am assuming that you are talking about 400ah of Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePo4) batteries and not Lead Acid batteries. You could easily survive the night by running fans instead of the A/C with 400ah of batteries.

One last thought: if you can't get through the night with your A/C unit and 400ah of Lithium batteries I would suggest adding one or two additional batteries (LiFePo4) to get you through the night on battery power alone.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have been confused. I thought the CO/propane detector was low beside the sofa and the bedroom detector was smoke only??? The lower one on our unit failed at about 18 months and I replaced it.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
    I must have been confused. I thought the CO/propane detector was low beside the sofa and the bedroom detector was smoke only??? The lower one on our unit failed at about 18 months and I replaced it.
    Charlie
    I think if you look inside the ceiling ones the bedroom will be CO and the living/kitchen will be smoke. The one near the floor (12v powered) is CO and propane.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE