User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sold our Lance 2185 and bought a Grand Design 2400BH... working on the shakedown

Hello all!

We've had a Lance 2185 for 8 years, sold it last fall to my sister and her family. Figured no big deal to order if we had all winter- wrong. Long story short we found a GD 2400BH sitting on the lot, generally liked it and the layout was what we wanted. Now it sits in my driveway as we work out some kinks and get our stuff moved back into it. We travel with 4 kids- they were much smaller when we started travel trailer trips in 2014, but are now in High and Middle school, We have spent time camping in the Puget Sound region (Western Wa) and gone down the Oregon Coast to Northern California. Our longest trip was a Little House on the Prairie tour across SD, MN. Great trip! Our usual year though is a series of baseball tournaments and a week in Yellowstone. We've stayed almost everywhere in Yellowstone and West Yellowstone area, and love having spent so much time there that we now generally avoid the main attractions and go off the beaten path- ish.

We tow today with a 2021 Ford Expedition Max and think its just an amazing TV. Used to tow with a 2006 Ford Expedition. The 2021 is infinitely better.

I'm fairly handy and go after most maintenance and repair jobs. Right now I am still a bit in the "why did GD do it this way, Lance did it this way" transfer that is likely normal from brand to brand. I will say, GD has me scratching my head a bit at times... but so far so good!

We loved the Lance Owners Forum and MyGrandRV seems like a very similar community- look forward to learning and contributing!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! Hope you enjoy your new bunkhouse. GD has many scratching their heads on why did they... but overall they are pretty good trailers. Get the family out and have fun!
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum, plenty of knowledgeable folks here can help when you're done scratching your head.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kizler View Post
    Hello all!

We've had a Lance 2185 for 8 years, sold it last fall to my sister and her family. Figured no big deal to order if we had all winter- wrong.
    My father ordered a Lance last year. Last time he checked with dealer for delivery he was told "maybe the end of this year.."
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and welcome to the group

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little bit of an update...

Still wondering why GD does some things they way they do- my favorite thus far is the gravity fill water with the vent... that i have confirmed is not hooked up to the fresh tank. Insane. Instead the two blue hoses to hope to not slosh out- I put valves on them and called it good.

But the Lance we ordered- the date slipped from May to September, so we bought the Imagine 2400 as I said. And then I kid you not- the Lance dealer calls me the day before I go to pickup my Imagine- and its back to May and in fact arrived today at the dealer. I told him he sent me on a goose chase and we had found something else. He understood, apologized, and sent me back my deposit very promptly. I think he got ours mixed up with another unit...

He did tell me "What did you get?" I told him. "Those are good units- you didn't get the bottom of the barrel. You will enjoy the Imagine too!"

So that was cool.
    2022 Imagine 2400BH, 2021 Ford Expedition Max, the wonderful wife, 3 teens, and 1 right behind em....
    Former Lance 2185 owner, and have towed with 2017 Ford Expy EL, and 2006 Ford Expy.
    Favorite places to RV? Yellowstone National Park- we've been 10+ times!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi - I'm looking at getting a Ford Expedition Max as well and wondering what weight distribution hitch you use to avoid the heavy tongue weight? My current tow vehicle is a 07 Lincoln Navigator and it has self-leveling air suspension to handle that. Would love to learn what you are doing to keep level. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kizler View Post
    Hello all!

We've had a Lance 2185 for 8 years, sold it last fall to my sister and her family. Figured no big deal to order if we had all winter- wrong. Long story short we found a GD 2400BH sitting on the lot, generally liked it and the layout was what we wanted. Now it sits in my driveway as we work out some kinks and get our stuff moved back into it. We travel with 4 kids- they were much smaller when we started travel trailer trips in 2014, but are now in High and Middle school, We have spent time camping in the Puget Sound region (Western Wa) and gone down the Oregon Coast to Northern California. Our longest trip was a Little House on the Prairie tour across SD, MN. Great trip! Our usual year though is a series of baseball tournaments and a week in Yellowstone. We've stayed almost everywhere in Yellowstone and West Yellowstone area, and love having spent so much time there that we now generally avoid the main attractions and go off the beaten path- ish.

We tow today with a 2021 Ford Expedition Max and think its just an amazing TV. Used to tow with a 2006 Ford Expedition. The 2021 is infinitely better.

I'm fairly handy and go after most maintenance and repair jobs. Right now I am still a bit in the "why did GD do it this way, Lance did it this way" transfer that is likely normal from brand to brand. I will say, GD has me scratching my head a bit at times... but so far so good!

We loved the Lance Owners Forum and MyGrandRV seems like a very similar community- look forward to learning and contributing!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TT-life View Post
    Hi - I'm looking at getting a Ford Expedition Max as well and wondering what weight distribution hitch you use to avoid the heavy tongue weight? My current tow vehicle is a 07 Lincoln Navigator and it has self-leveling air suspension to handle that. Would love to learn what you are doing to keep level. Thanks!
    Hey @TT-life, looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry so slow on the reply. I used a Equalizer 10k on my last trailer and on the 2400BH. VERY happy with it then and now. Really like my Expy Max as a TV- had an EL before this and the old 06 Expy before that. By far the current build of the Expy in the Max is the best vehicle. I wouldn't go any larger/heavier than the 2400BH though. Its at the limit from my experience.
    2022 Imagine 2400BH, 2021 Ford Expedition Max, the wonderful wife, 3 teens, and 1 right behind em....
    Former Lance 2185 owner, and have towed with 2017 Ford Expy EL, and 2006 Ford Expy.
    Favorite places to RV? Yellowstone National Park- we've been 10+ times!