User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Items for Newbie

Ok, TT bought and we are looking at getting ready for the first trip. We are looking into two items to purchase because I feel that you may not get the best from some campgrounds and that is water and electrical.

Being a nerd with a network in my house that most businesses would envy I know that protecting that equipment is important. That being said I am looking into surge protectors. I know you need to protect against spikes but I think low voltage is an issue also. So, do I get a surge protector or an EMS system?

Now water. That is a crap shoot too. Just general use a standard filter would work. But for drinking water should I use like a charcoal filter on the main line and a brita (or equivalent) to make it drinkable?

Most of the other stuff is simple. Like hoses, cord, etc. These I feel are the more important ones for the safety of us and the TT.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EMS is the way to go. Low voltage or neutral problems can cause major damage.

We just use a simple particulate filter on the hose and a Brita pitcher for drinking water.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Ok, TT bought and we are looking at getting ready for the first trip. We are looking into two items to purchase because I feel that you may not get the best from some campgrounds and that is water and electrical.

Being a nerd with a network in my house that most businesses would envy I know that protecting that equipment is important. That being said I am looking into surge protectors. I know you need to protect against spikes but I think low voltage is an issue also. So, do I get a surge protector or an EMS system?

Now water. That is a crap shoot too. Just general use a standard filter would work. But for drinking water should I use like a charcoal filter on the main line and a brita (or equivalent) to make it drinkable?

Most of the other stuff is simple. Like hoses, cord, etc. These I feel are the more important ones for the safety of us and the TT.
    Get an EMS. We use the 50 amp Power Watch Dog and I hardwired it into the coach. (It's a 50 amp coach.)

For water, the Camco inline filter, that connects to the spigot then the hose, works just fine. Also, get an adjustable water pressure regulator. Since campgrounds and RV parks have water pressure over 130 lbs per sq in!

If you want to go further than that, search the forum as there are several threads with mods for whole coach water filtration systems.

Mark & Mary. Currently hailing from New Mexico and going full time in August 2022.
    Current coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, welcome to the forum and the Grand Design family!

Mark & Mary. Currently hailing from New Mexico and going full time in August 2022.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the EMS I am looking at. https://www.amazon.com/Portable-RV-S...09&sr=8-5&th=1

Wife is saying, "Should have bought a tent" because so much to think about with the TT.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a good brand and will work, but a 50 amp EMS would be better if you have a 50 amp trailer. You can use that with a 30 amp adapter. It's a good idea to post what trailer you have so you can get specific answers.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    That is a good brand and will work, but a 50 amp EMS would be better if you have a 50 amp trailer. You can use that with a 30 amp adapter. It's a good idea to post what trailer you have so you can get specific answers.
    We got a 231rk so only 30 amp.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops. Forgot. This is the filter I was looking at. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E6V30...lig_dp_it&th=1

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    Oops. Forgot. This is the filter I was looking at. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024E6V30...lig_dp_it&th=1
    Yup, that's what I was referring to.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Moonshadow mentioned; don't forget the water pressure regulator. I will say, I have been through 2 of the adjustable ones that broke on me; I switched to this: https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A01-...70&sr=8-6&th=1 It has held up great and I do not miss the "adjustability" function.

Totally agree on the Progressive Industries EMS; great product from a great company. I had an issue with one that was several years old, and they made it EXTEREMELY easy to get a new one at zero cost.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast