User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know for a fact your tank is really 50 gallons? As another mentioned, use a water meter when you fill your tank so you know how much it holds. Also, once the pump starts sputtering, pull the dump valve and see how much water is actually left.
    Most water tanks I have ever come across use a hard fitting at the bottom edge of the tank rather than a pickup for the main feed line and once the pump starts sucking air the tank is truly empty.
    Rob, Chris and fur baby Maya - Follow us at rctravels.rmcd.ca
    2019 Solitude 374TH, Victron Multiplus II 3000 2x120, Cerbo GX, 6x Battle Born 100AH, 1800W Solar, Blue Sky CC's, Starlink
    2023 GMC Sierra Duramax Denali 4x4 DRW Longbox Crew Cab, Curt Q25

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KamFlyer View Post
    Do you know for a fact your tank is really 50 gallons? As another mentioned, use a water meter when you fill your tank so you know how much it holds. Also, once the pump starts sputtering, pull the dump valve and see how much water is actually left.
    Most water tanks I have ever come across use a hard fitting at the bottom edge of the tank rather than a pickup for the main feed line and once the pump starts sucking air the tank is truly empty.
    Thanks Rob. Yes I do use a gallon counter when filling the tank. The most I've put in was about 42 gallons. But I've never filled it to the point where overflow occurs. So I think 50 gallons is an accurate tank size.

After the pump starts sputtering, I will get at least 2 minutes of solid flow from the 2" dump valve. Then about another 2 min of much slower flow.

So I'm confident in both the 50 gallon tank size and the 15ish gallons left when the pump stops pulling water.
    2021 Winnebago 2932 5th wheel
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla
    2018 Reflection 220RK - sold 11/20
    2018 Titan XD 4x4 SL - sold 11/20

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a filter basket on the inlet side of the pump? Could be a hairline crack in the housing or issue with the O-ring. I’ve had it happen to me. If the FW tank is down to 1/3, the is less head pressure in the tank. That coupled with a small amount of air coming in from the filter could have your pump sucking enough air to prevent it from pulling up water.
    Also, all the specs for my RV say it has a 52gal FW tank. However, the build sheet that came with the trailer says they put in a 46gal tank. Just a thought.
    Always looking for the perfect site.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cmarkj View Post
    Is there a filter basket on the inlet side of the pump? Could be a hairline crack in the housing or issue with the O-ring. I’ve had it happen to me. If the FW tank is down to 1/3, the is less head pressure in the tank. That coupled with a small amount of air coming in from the filter could have your pump sucking enough air to prevent it from pulling up water.
    Also, all the specs for my RV say it has a 52gal FW tank. However, the build sheet that came with the trailer says they put in a 46gal tank. Just a thought.
    Thanks for the reply cmarkj.

You read my mind... I'm going to replace the pump and filter bowl. If that doesn't work then I have to assume the feeder line sits at the 1/3 line.
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The feeder line in the FW tank may have a crack or a small hole in the line.
    When the water is high enough to cover the hole or crack on the feeder tube, it will suck water
    but, once the water level reaches down to where the crack or the hole is, it will start sucking air.

Just a thought.

Good luck
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoJoSo View Post
    The feeder line in the FW tank may have a crack or a small hole in the line.
    When the water is high enough to cover the hole or crack on the feeder tube, it will suck water
    but, once the water level reaches down to where the crack or the hole is, it will start sucking air.

Just a thought.

Good luck
    Thanks for the input RoJoSo.

I'm hoping that if there was a small hole or crack, I would have seen a leak somewhere due to the weight of 40ish gallons sitting in the tank. But hey it's an RV! Who the heck really knows where the problem is?
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Boom r' Bust

I wasn't referring to the tank having a hole or a crack in it but, in the FW pickup line inside the tank.
    Checking to see if the FW Pickup line didn't have a crack or hole in, causing it to suck air.

Just like trying to use a straw that is cracked.
    2020 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS 5th Wheel
    2013 Ford F250 Super Duty, King Ranch, 6.7 Diesel, HD Tow Package
    B&W Companion Slider RVK3405
    Timbren Rear Suspension Enhancement System R250SDG
    Titan 50 Gallon Fuel Tank

Setting Up Camp north channel novels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If, like us, you don't get too hung up on achieving perfect level when setting up camp, it may simply be that your unit is slightly off one way or another. The water tanks in most RVs are wide and shallow. When you are getting down to the bottom of your supply, it may be that the water is in a different side or end of the tank ... down where those marginally accurate sensors are. I've occasionally had to raise or lower the front jacks to resume pumping.
    2000 Jayco Eagle 243RKS 1992 Dodge 250 5.9 Cummins (retired)
    2013 Puma 253FBS 2003 Ram 2500 5.9 Cummins (Moved on)
    2018 Reflection 230RL 2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins (Current)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by north channel novels View Post
    If, like us, you don't get too hung up on achieving perfect level when setting up camp, it may simply be that your unit is slightly off one way or another. The water tanks in most RVs are wide and shallow. When you are getting down to the bottom of your supply, it may be that the water is in a different side or end of the tank ... down where those marginally accurate sensors are. I've occasionally had to raise or lower the front jacks to resume pumping.
    Thanks for the reply NCN.

I had never thought about trying that. Our rig has auto level and I regularly check it with a level. But your idea would help prove or disprove the pick up line being placed too high on the tank.

Thanks again...
    2020 F350 w/7.3 Godzilla

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My money is on a small air leak in the suction line. I would look first at the screw-on connection at the inlet at the pump.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast