Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anderson WDH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitsman3 View Post
    Anyone using the Anderson WDH? If so how does it do transferring weight back to your front axle? Using the Husky Centerline now & it does a good job with weight and sway but its heavy and I hate having to lift the backend of the truck up to engage the bars. Curious to hear from people who have experience with it good or bad. Also what set-up do you use it with (truck & size of trailer)?
    I used the Andersen WDH for a brief period on our 2400BH. I had it on our hybrid, and it worked great...not so much on the 2400. The 2400 is towing near the top for a F150, and I don't feel like it got weight distributed back to the front like it should. I also felt every car pass no matter how small. I decided to upgrade to the Propride, and it's night and day (as you'd expect).

For the right situation (smaller trailer or larger truck), the Andersen is probably a terrific option. It's light, clean, and quiet. It just didn't work for our upgraded rig.

Hope this is helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    James and Dawn
    2019 F150 SCREW 3.5EB 6.5' - Haloview MC7109; Cooper AT3 LTX; Sumo Springs; ProPride WDH

2021 Imagine 2400BH - GY Endurance 225/75-15; MORryde CRE3000, HD shackles and wet bolts, X-factor crossmembers

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m 3400 miles into a 6500 mile trip pulling a 22mle with my 2011 GMC 5.3 using an Andersen hitch. Have been dealing with crazy winds since Austin Texas. In Page AZ now. When wind has been moderate, the hitch works well...just the normal push/pull when trucks pass. 40-45 mph gusts and trucks passing at 80 is a handful. Probably would be with any hitch on a half ton truck. I like mine!!

Don
    Don

2021 22MLE

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jproctor9 View Post
    I used the Andersen WDH for a brief period on our 2400BH. I had it on our hybrid, and it worked great...not so much on the 2400. The 2400 is towing near the top for a F150, and I don't feel like it got weight distributed back to the front like it should. I also felt every car pass no matter how small. I decided to upgrade to the Propride, and it's night and day (as you'd expect).

For the right situation (smaller trailer or larger truck), the Andersen is probably a terrific option. It's light, clean, and quiet. It just didn't work for our upgraded rig.

Hope this is helpful.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    This was similar to my experience with the Anderson with the truck/trailer in my signature. Had the issue of the trailer being too light on the tongue (10.5%), and a longish trailer. While I did have to tighten it up to near max, had no issue gaining back all of the front rise. But either due to the length of trailer, the low tongue weight, or both still got scary real sway several times, enough to set off the truck anti-sway alarms/counter measures. Maybe more TW would have tamed it, but no way to do that on the trailer, so rather than collect hitches went with the ProPride. Sold the Anderson to a fellow with a 2600RB (with warning about my experience), he tried it, and also sold it soon thereafter.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In our case, the Andersen has worked well. Originally had an Equalizer 4-point that worked as advertised but got too heavy to lift (back issues).

After researching, decided to give Andersen a try. Have now used it on three different trailers since 2015. Going into our seventh season with it now. We did have an issue with noise a couple years back. Turned out the anti-sway material in the aluminum head housing got grit/dirt in it over time. I contacted their CS and sent photos. They sent an updated designed aluminum head-housing and triangle plate shortly after, free of charge. No more noise.

In my experience with our tow vehicle/trailer set ups, the Andersen has better sway control than the Equalizer, is much lighter, quieter, and easier to hitch/unhitch.

I don’t remember all the specifics for weights and lengths of our previous tow vehicle (Toyota Sequoia) and trailers (see signature) but our current truck has a 145-146 in. wheelbase and is a little over 19 ft. long. We have gone to the CAT scales now twice with this combination and both times the truck has been 200-300# heavier than the total trailer weight (axles & tongue) when weighed separately ready for camping with two adults and a full tank of gas.

To try and answer one of your original concerns about weight transfer, it does not transfer every pound back to the steer axle but it transfers enough that the steering wheel feels the same with or without the trailer attached. I can get the front fender to within 1/4-1/2 in. of normal.

You’re doing the right thing asking your questions because it’s expensive trying different hitches before we land on the right one for our truck/trailer combination. Good luck with your decision.
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We switched from the Husky Centerline to the Anderson for two primary reasons. 1) I had back surgery and lifting the Husky was a challenge. 2) My wife wanted to be able to hitch the trailer to the truck should something happen to me and the Husky was out of the question.

We have a Ram 1500 EcoDiesel towing a 2400BH and our experience with the Anderson has been very good. The Anderson reduces sway just as well as the Husky, the loaded front axle weight is within 30 to 40 pounds of empty weight per CAT scales, and it is QUIET! The 2400 tongue weight has a tendency to be too light so we have to consciously load it to get it in the 10 to 12 percent range - and the beauty of the Anderson is the adjustability on the fly is fantastic. Most of the time there are 6 or 7 threads showing but occasionally I’ll tighten it down to 8 threads if we more front-loaded than usual.

You’ll still want to lift the truck a bit to make it easier to tighten the nuts down on the chains but if you want a workout you can give it a shot using a ratchet and the supplied socket. But why bother? Just lift the truck 3 or 4 inches, tighten down the nuts and you’re good to go.

That’s our experience - we definitely recommend the Anderson to anyone in the market for a new hitch.

Bob
    2019 Imagine 2400BH
    Progressive Industries Hardwired EMS, RV Airflow, MicroAir EasyStart, MaxxAir Fan
    2021 Ram 1500 Bighorn EcoDiesel CC short bed
    Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12