User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First trip in the books with new rig and what we learned

Been 20 years since we pulled a TT so the 5th wheel experience was new but the first trip in the new 310 was very interesting. On the whole the remembered more than I thought but also discovered what I didn't need to bring and what I should have brought. Some observations below for anyone interested.

1) Made an arrival and departure checklist unique for us. What I discovered was that the order of what we had planned changed on any given day depending upon a lot of factors we hadn't considered - like closing up and then dumping but having to open up again, turn water on, and regen the black tank.
    2) Weights for one weekend were too high (all well within payload and vehicle weights). I brought far too many tools which I discovered I wouldn't need and could buy on the way if needed. Examples, I need two specific allen wrenches and I brought a set. I carried a set of 3/8 sockets, ratchet, and wrenches - nope. Bought a 50 pack of shop rags - needed one. Don't need a full set of impact sockets. List goes on and will be culled.
    3) We spent more time trying to connect/disconnect sewer and fresh water. For us older folks with new slinky gear, sewer wrenches would have saved us a half hour in departure/arrival tear down/setup. Trying to coil/uncoil unpack/pack a 'kink-free' fresh water hose another 20 minutes. Wrenches and new hose ordered. A short 10 ft hose to rinse things off before packing (like chocks) is worth it since we had already disconnected the water.
    4) Checked the lugs before we left. Specs say 120-140 ft-lbs. Figured I'd set the torque wrench to 130. 6 of the lugs on the two rear tires didn't meet it. Prior to the trip back, upped to 140 ft-lbs and 5 of the lugs on the front two tires didn't meet it. Check your lugs - only an 80 mile trip each way.
    5) Tire link is useful but very finicky as are the Lippert and Compass Connect apps.
    6) Check things out that you hadn't tried before. In our case, cable TV was a non-starter on one TV (though we probably won't use it much). Couldn't lock the front compartment (batteries and generator) because the lock didn't reach the door frame (graphite lube all locks - ours really needed it). No documentation on the satellite booster button in the manual.
    7) We don't need 4 dinette chairs - two will be staying at home. We would have liked some disposable coffee cups with lids.
    8) The heat pump was an inexpensive investment and kept the propane off down to 43 degrees and kept the 310 warm inside. Didn't need the furnace. Very comfortable.
    9) Dual pane windows really do cut the noise and no condensation this trip.
    10) Our dry weights with a TV at 8920 lbs were 5500 steer axle, 6280 for drive axle, 10480 for trailer. For a two night stay the numbers were 5480 steer axle, 6580 drive axle, and 11440 for trailer. 1240 lbs added with 2/3 fresh water fill. Very easy to get the weight up. Will be looking to move locations of some items
    11) 32 gal fuel tank is not enough. 180 miles and 3/4 tank used - mostly flat territory. That will be my challenge this week - bigger fuel tank. Used 1/4 tank DEF.
    12) 3 case numbers opened up with Grand Design and one with dealer/Reese.
    13) The new mattress isn't as bad as I thought it would be though I wish we had ordered the queen instead of king.
    14) The VIAIR was indispensable. Needed to increase tire pressure on a tire on both start and finish, and needed to add air to the Goosebox or we would have had a very harsh ride home.
    15) For us, small sizes of food staples for a month trip are fine. Big is not better.
    16) If GD could make two changes to the 310, I'd ask for lower storage at the rear of the 310 and reversing the location of the optional dishwasher (we don't have it) and the drawer pulls to put heavier items behind or on the axles. The cabinets over the rear sofa have no weight capacity according to GD and I would be hesitant to load much in them after seeing how they are attached. Some subtle weight and balance changes would be welcome.

Anyway, great shakedown and fun time in prep for longer trip.
    cheers,
    John
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good write up. I also tend to go heavy on tools and equipment. I absolutely agree on the VIAIR. I feel your pain on the gas tank volume. I'm looking for fuel every 200 miles.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Been 20 years since we pulled a TT so the 5th wheel experience was new but the first trip in the new 310 was very interesting. On the whole the remembered more than I thought but also discovered what I didn't need to bring and what I should have brought. Some observations below for anyone interested.

1) Made an arrival and departure checklist unique for us. What I discovered was that the order of what we had planned changed on any given day depending upon a lot of factors we hadn't considered - like closing up and then dumping but having to open up again, turn water on, and regen the black tank.
    2) Weights for one weekend were too high (all well within payload and vehicle weights). I brought far too many tools which I discovered I wouldn't need and could buy on the way if needed. Examples, I need two specific allen wrenches and I brought a set. I carried a set of 3/8 sockets, ratchet, and wrenches - nope. Bought a 50 pack of shop rags - needed one. Don't need a full set of impact sockets. List goes on and will be culled.
    3) We spent more time trying to connect/disconnect sewer and fresh water. For us older folks with new slinky gear, sewer wrenches would have saved us a half hour in departure/arrival tear down/setup. Trying to coil/uncoil unpack/pack a 'kink-free' fresh water hose another 20 minutes. Wrenches and new hose ordered. A short 10 ft hose to rinse things off before packing (like chocks) is worth it since we had already disconnected the water.
    4) Checked the lugs before we left. Specs say 120-140 ft-lbs. Figured I'd set the torque wrench to 130. 6 of the lugs on the two rear tires didn't meet it. Prior to the trip back, upped to 140 ft-lbs and 5 of the lugs on the front two tires didn't meet it. Check your lugs - only an 80 mile trip each way.
    5) Tire link is useful but very finicky as are the Lippert and Compass Connect apps.
    6) Check things out that you hadn't tried before. In our case, cable TV was a non-starter on one TV (though we probably won't use it much). Couldn't lock the front compartment (batteries and generator) because the lock didn't reach the door frame (graphite lube all locks - ours really needed it). No documentation on the satellite booster button in the manual.
    7) We don't need 4 dinette chairs - two will be staying at home. We would have liked some disposable coffee cups with lids.
    8) The heat pump was an inexpensive investment and kept the propane off down to 43 degrees and kept the 310 warm inside. Didn't need the furnace. Very comfortable.
    9) Dual pane windows really do cut the noise and no condensation this trip.
    10) Our dry weights with a TV at 8920 lbs were 5500 steer axle, 6280 for drive axle, 10480 for trailer. For a two night stay the numbers were 5480 steer axle, 6580 drive axle, and 11440 for trailer. 1240 lbs added with 2/3 fresh water fill. Very easy to get the weight up. Will be looking to move locations of some items
    11) 32 gal fuel tank is not enough. 180 miles and 3/4 tank used - mostly flat territory. That will be my challenge this week - bigger fuel tank. Used 1/4 tank DEF.
    12) 3 case numbers opened up with Grand Design and one with dealer/Reese.
    13) The new mattress isn't as bad as I thought it would be though I wish we had ordered the queen instead of king.
    14) The VIAIR was indispensable. Needed to increase tire pressure on a tire on both start and finish, and needed to add air to the Goosebox or we would have had a very harsh ride home.
    15) For us, small sizes of food staples for a month trip are fine. Big is not better.
    16) If GD could make two changes to the 310, I'd ask for lower storage at the rear of the 310 and reversing the location of the optional dishwasher (we don't have it) and the drawer pulls to put heavier items behind or on the axles. The cabinets over the rear sofa have no weight capacity according to GD and I would be hesitant to load much in them after seeing how they are attached. Some subtle weight and balance changes would be welcome.

Anyway, great shakedown and fun time in prep for longer trip.
    cheers,
    John
    Yes very good write up. We fulltime so we have a lot of "stuff" hauling with us. In going fulltime, when we weighed we were at 15,500# on the trailer axles and that is with 1/3 fresh water @ 25 gallons, as we normally run. Same tow vehicle as you, yes 32 gallons doesn't go far but at 200 miles we are ready to get out of the truck for awhile anyway while refueling, and get a bite to eat. But in todays fuel prices having an aux tank to carry you farther might be better to get fuel at a cheaper price. On this trip from Texas to Indiana the most we paid was $5.52 / gallon and that was with good sam discounts @ .09 / gallon. It would have to be a lot cheaper fuel price to off set carrying the increased weight and fuel mileage lost or gained. And for some people carrying that extra fuel can put them over on cargo cap.

We usually get 9-10 mpg towing and have gotten as high as 11 mpg. Our DEF usage goes way up towing but we have found its also dependent on ambient temperature. When hot outside like towing in 80 degree weather the DEF usage is less. Once we hit colder temps like in the 40-50s*, DEF usage goes up. I'll use 1/2 tank of DEF on a trip from Texas to Indiana, that's about 3 gallons of DEF. On this latest trip DEF was $4-$5 a gallon at truck stops. We also use the VIair compressor.

Its a dance hooking, unhooking, setting up and tearing down, once you get into a groove then isn't so bad. The wife and I can get it done in 30 minutes. Mostly She does the inside and I do the outside.
    Your report will be helpful for others starting out or long hauling. Enjoy your rig and keep safe.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-07-2022 at 07:06 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Same tow vehicle as you, yes 32 gallons doesn't go far but at 200 miles we are ready to get out of the truck for awhile anyway while refueling, and get a bite to eat. But in todays fuel prices having an aux tank to carry you farther might be better to get fuel at a cheaper price. On this trip from Texas to Indiana the most we paid was $5.52 / gallon and that was with good sam discounts @ .09 / gallon.
    It was painful topping off prior to leaving. The local Mobil was 6.49/gal. What the better half found was that Discover card was offering 5% cash back for filling up with fuel - at least through June. Even though I have an EFS and Pilot card, some of the local stations seem to be lower in price. Also, BJ's ran a promotion of .50/gal off if you spend $100. That ended but they still offer specials - buy a certain item get .10/gal off - and have about the lowest diesel price locally. I'll be price checking locally each travel night. It's extra planning but everything helps.

400 lbs of fresh water was a bit much. I'll probably drop that to 1/3 until we get to next destination where we'll be staying 6 nights with electric only. Didn't think about the extra weight of a larger fuel tank and reduction in mpg - thanks for mentioning that - always a tradeoff.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was painful topping off prior to leaving. The local Mobil was 6.49/gal. What the better half found was that Discover card was offering 5% cash back for filling up with fuel - at least through June. Even though I have an EFS and Pilot card, some of the local stations seem to be lower in price. Also, BJ's ran a promotion of .50/gal off if you spend $100. That ended but they still offer specials - buy a certain item get .10/gal off - and have about the lowest diesel price locally. I'll be price checking locally each travel night. It's extra planning but everything helps.

400 lbs of fresh water was a bit much. I'll probably drop that to 1/3 until we get to next destination where we'll be staying 6 nights with electric only. Didn't think about the extra weight of a larger fuel tank and reduction in mpg - thanks for mentioning that - always a tradeoff.
    It's a real pain isn't it, and a delicate balance! Budgeting fuel, trade offs in carrying weight or not. And as you, I carry a large tool box in the truck bed tool box with extra RV brake assemblies and other RV spare parts just in case. For this trip I was even carrying 12 quarts of oil Shell Rotella T6 15W40 and the spare fuel and oil filters for the truck I bought in Texas. Its another one of those things that's getting hard to find so I bought them when I found them. Good thing, I've checked here in Indiana and the oil is in short supply. For fuel, we used Pilot/FlyingJ almost exclusively on this trip for the GS discount. Every little bit helps. I'll have to look more into the Pilot Card. Love's is always a lot more expensive. We use them when we have to but as is, everything else long the Interstates is more expensive. LOL's we use a Discover card as well for fuel and getting the 5% cash back thru June. Credited $77 back on the card for the last few months fill up.

Good your telling readers to check lug nuts, Absolutely check them. I repacked the bearings before we left Texas so I had the wheels off. Torqued installing them and checked them again at the next overnight, still were tight.

I know your an experienced RVer with a little hiatus between ownerships. Your get back in the swing of things in no time!!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-07-2022 at 08:28 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post

I know your an experienced RVer with a little hiatus between ownerships. Your get back in the swing of things in no time!!
    I absolutely valued this short prep trip - learned a lot about the RV, TV, and us (memories of prior TT and living on a boat for years - much the same). 5th wheel and truck pulled straight and almost no effect of getting passed by trucks. Big confidence boost knowing how it handled.

In my brazen younger days, we picked up the TT and headed off with the 5 kids for TX, NM, AZ, CO, and all points in between on our first trip. Simpler rigs and times I guess but I consider the lucky that we had nothing break. Lurking on then joining this forum was immeasurable help

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never understood why all three of the truck manufacturers put such a small tank on a truck that is made to tow heavy, meaning the mpg is going to be 10-11 mpg or less. I know from '21 and on, the RAM long beds have the 50 gallon tank option. I replaced the OEM in my truck with the Titan 50 gallon tank. A lot less stress on some of the routes I use.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2) Weights for one weekend were too high.....Don't need a full set of impact sockets. List goes on and will be culled.
    We all fight that tool weight issue. I think the shorter the trip, the fewer tools needed.

4) Checked the lugs before we left....... Good catch! A torque wrench is always in my truck to make periodic checks.

6) ... No documentation on the satellite booster button in the manual. not sure what the satellite boost button is... maybe the Cable/Antenna switch??

7) We don't need 4 dinette chairs.. 2 cheap Walmart folding chairs work for us and are stored under bed for when we have dine-in visitors. Or we just use one of our collapsable ottomans (like these)

8) The heat pump was an inexpensive investment.. we prefer a small electric heater (it keeps the noise from the HVAC down at night); and we set the furnace at around 63 degrees in case the heater can't keep up.

9) Dual pane windows really do cut the noise and no condensation this trip. gotta luv these!!!

10) Our dry weights with a TV at 8920 lbs were 5500 steer axle, 6280 for drive axle, 10480 for trailer. For a two night stay the numbers were 5480 steer axle, 6580 drive axle, and 11440 for trailer. 1240 lbs added with 2/3 fresh water fill. Very easy to get the weight up. Will be looking to move locations of some items.... weight - always a struggle... (let's hope the weight police don't jump all over this here.....)

11) 32 gal fuel tank is not enough. 180 miles and 3/4 tank used - mostly flat territory. That will be my challenge this week - bigger fuel tank. Used 1/4 tank DEF. argh! I feel your pain... but I put in a 33 gallon RDS aux tank - fuel stop problems eliminated and can go to the least expensive station nearby when stopping overnight with rig unhooked.

14) The VIAIR was indispensable. Needed to increase tire pressure on a tire on both start and finish... I'd suggest you only need to set your pressure once at the start of a trip with 'cold' tires. (unless you have a leak). I travel most of the summer any make maybe one adjustment once I at a higher altitude and plan to spend most of time 'up there' (higher means 6000' +) gotta love the VIAIR.

15) For us, small sizes of food staples for a month trip are fine... grocery stores are always close by; no need to "stock up" like it's Armageddon...

16) The cabinets over the rear sofa have no weight capacity according to GD... we store extra pillow, blankes, empty backpacks and other bulky light stuff up there. You will also find you can stuff some heavier things under the fold up sofa/bed - that's where our foam mattress topper is for that 'bed'.

cheers,
    John
    It sounds like you learned a lot. As someone said - it will get easier and qicker for things once you get into a routine. Thanks for the update and safe travels.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually only travel with a minimal amount (5 gallon-ish) of fresh water in the tank and that is only so we can use the toilet when traveling. We don't typically boon-dock and most campsites have a place where you can fill the fresh water tank if the sites don't have full hock-ups.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I never understood why all three of the truck manufacturers put such a small tank on a truck that is made to tow heavy, meaning the mpg is going to be 10-11 mpg or less. I know from '21 and on, the RAM long beds have the 50 gallon tank option. I replaced the OEM in my truck with the Titan 50 gallon tank. A lot less stress on some of the routes I use.
    I think its a game the manufacturers play with stated cargo capacities and such. I don't think the bigger tank was an option for our 2018, maybe so. The reason I didn't add an aux tank was that back then in 2018 they were @ $1000 and higher like for a TransferFlow aux tank and Texas diesel fuel was $3.00 / gallon or under.

It's kind of the same thing with torque and horsepower ratings, trying to one up the competition. And the GPS they have in the trucks. You pay for the towing capacity of these trucks so you can Tow Things, then they give you a car GPS system. Useless for towing 53 feet and 13.6 height.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast