User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. We aren't shooting the messenger. Think of posting an opinion kind of like throwing a clay pigeon in the air. Lots of guys are going to take a shot at it. In your case, the GD rep is the clay pigeon.

Here is my "shot" at what he said. The trailer suspension and frame is designed to take vertical dynamic forces. It is not generally designed to take lateral forces. Lots of structures can take enormous vertical force and will fail with small lateral force.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I've been there at GD rally's when GD reps tried to tell owners that balancing RV tires was not needed, and they got an ear full of response. They just didn't want to admit that they were being cheap! Same with the suspensions, they don't want to admit the frame hangers are cheaply made from Lippert! But then think about it, why did they incorporate the "V" clips to the hangers in current manufacturing if there wasn't a problem with hangers ripping out? This issues is not just with GD, its with all Lippert built frames across many brands. The problem is from what others have said, lateral forces and stress on the hangers when jack knife turning.

I've been to the factories, spoke directly to manufacturing floor managers, been to GD rally's, talked with dealership reps, spoke directly to Emily Staley about misinformation, they tell you what they have been told to tell you, and some reps are just ............., especially at dealerships!

Then why did we buy a GD RV, or an RV at all, well because GD is still one of the best in after sales service, Alliance is right behind them as Paradigm owners have told me. Forest River or Thor owners, too many have told me never again.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-08-2022 at 06:41 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair to manufacturers, most people purchase RVs by the foot. They’re interested in length and number slides. Money spent on things like quality suspension components isn’t appreciated by the average consumer and just adds cost without increasing appeal.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crack I experienced in the webbing of my I-beam was caused by turning (whether forward or backward) according to the welding shop that boxed my frame. They said they see it a lot. In fact when they saw the phots they instantly said it is common. They said it is caused by twisting of the beam when turning.

I'm thinking some MorRyde X-braces on at the spring hanger locations might have prevented my issue. I have one in the center but had never considered additional ones at the hanger locations.

I can't really think of any less reliable source of information than from a sales person or factory rep. Sorry - just seen that "over-sell" stuff too many times (even at the company I worked at). I think to get reliable information one should consult with people who actually do the work, or the repair work.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Traveler View Post
    Hi. We aren't shooting the messenger. Think of posting an opinion kind of like throwing a clay pigeon in the air. Lots of guys are going to take a shot at it. In your case, the GD rep is the clay pigeon.

Here is my "shot" at what he said. The trailer suspension and frame is designed to take vertical dynamic forces. It is not generally designed to take lateral forces. Lots of structures can take enormous vertical force and will fail with small lateral force.
    That reminds me of something we used to do when Aluminum soda cans first came out.....and I was 50 lbs less than I am now. When you finished your soda pop, you would set it down on a smooth flat surface...close to a wall or something that you could grab onto to stabilize yourself. You then placed one foot, usually the ball of your foot, very slowly down on top of the can and slowly put ALL of your weight on top of the can. If done properly, the can would not crush under your weight. Then, while keeping yourself steady, you bent at the knee and reached down with your other hand and poked the side of the can....as quickly as you could. Instant collapse of the can.....and the folks that weren't fast enough with their poke....a bloody finger too. Lateral forces did the can in, and in very short order.

PS.....I'd never try it now.....the cans are even thinner material than they were back then.....and I'm just the opposite...not Thinner than I was back then.

And BTW.....if anyone EVER told told me that jackknifing a trailer, especially a triple axle one like mine was not bad for it....I would literally bust out laughing in their face.
    Last edited by xrated; 05-08-2022 at 11:44 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't resist sharing this.

https://www.gif-vif.com/g/Perfection-136
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post

Thats an experienced OTR driver for you... They make it look so easy!
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna' paint some flames on the front of my truck and go practice that maneuver.

Do you think my trailer wheels will pop off?
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post

I could do that! (Ok, maybe 40, 50 tries).
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast