User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One problem with turning a 5th wheel 90-degrees to the truck is that if you have 3 axles especially, you stand the chance f rolling one of the tubeless tires off the rim and loosing all the air. A real problem under some circumstances. I suggest minimizing your angle between the trailer and tow vehicle.

Jay Walthall
    Texas

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jwalthall View Post
    One problem with turning a 5th wheel 90-degrees to the truck is that if you have 3 axles especially, you stand the chance f rolling one of the tubeless tires off the rim and loosing all the air. A real problem under some circumstances. I suggest minimizing your angle between the trailer and tow vehicle.

Jay Walthall
    Texas
    And I'll a little bit more to those words of wisdom...if you absolutely have to do a 90° turn, or close to it, make sure that your tires are fully inflated....maybe a bit overinflated. The more pressure (within reason of course) the less risk of rolling one off of the rim. And the slower the better in a turn like that. I always try to make the longest arc or less angle as I possibly can....and as slow as I can. If someone has to wait for me to make the turn....so be it, I really don't care. I'd always rather do it safely and Not get in a hurry, than to let someone try to rush me along and I make a mistake that damages something.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not just backing. I just left GD service in Elkhart. They replaced three spring hangers because they were bent. The trailer was tracking significantly to the left following a tight turn in a parking lot. Anyone who tells you right turns are ok, does not know what they are talking about. I think you could get away with it in gravel, but on asphalt you are rolling the dice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't believe anyone that reps any trailers period would say something like what you typed....that spinning a trailer around at almost 90 degrees really won't hurt the suspension. Look in the mirror, fella! One rim is bending one way, and the other rim is bending the opposite! Unbelievable.

Yes, the road bumps are more force, but in vertical direction, the direction the suspension was designed to absorb such forces. The rims and bearings will hate life if you regularly do this. You might can get away with it on dirt or grass where the tires can slip easily, but gravel and definitely pavement will cause more problems than it's worth. I've say NEVER do it, at least that's my philosophy. You don't have to be a seasoned mechanical engineer to see what it's doing to the trailer in the mirror. $.02
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When storing, I move my trailer inside of a building with a fork lift (attached at the king pin). The surface is smooth concrete (even a bit slippery). There are times that I need to get about 60 to 65 degrees to pivot around objects.

The wheels will cant opposite (on the same side) by three or four inches where they touch the floor. The pops and groans are somewhat scary and don't sound 'normal'. Sometimes, part way through a tight move, I will 'back and forth' a foot or so to relieve the stress and straighten the wheels a bit. So far I have had no problems after 15 or 20 cycles. I have to believe this places significant stress on the components and tires. It definitely places stress on me.

I'll do what is needed to avoid striking something, but I still don't like it. Cost of doing business.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timelinex View Post
    No, I mean the maneuver where your truck is 90 degrees to the 5th wheel and you are literally pushing the trailer in a circle, in place.
    It probably puts a lot of strain on the suspension, but ST tires are constructed with this in mind. That's why you shouldn't use LT tires on a trailer.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a really tight parking spot to do a 180 turn to get the rv facing ready to go again. I used to have to turn into it at 90* to make the flip. Now the lot is just wide enough to turn continually. Fortunately I am on gravel, grass and dirt. Makes it easier for the tires to slide. I upgraded my axles and suspension and added Morrie X factor cross beams on both hangers plus the equalizer. Doing 90* maneuvers regularly will also wear the inside of your tires prematurely on the set that is the inside turn wheels.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123