User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What size generator can I get away with?

We purchased our transcend 231rk a few months ago only one ac unit. What is the smallest generator we could get away with that would run the ac unit if we needed it?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's many options and different configurations. Lets not to start the best generator debate all over again. You can search the forum for that. It all depends on what you want to run at once. If just the AC and some other small load then you'll need one that is 2500w or more but I'd go at least 3000w. Or you can get 2 x 2000w generator and tie them together or you can install a soft start on the ac and get away with just a 2200w generator. You're ac will run on a 15amp house plug if it's alone and is rated for 1800w but it might trip and generator power is not as clean.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have an inverter generator yet either and I've been researching for a couple years. I personally would prefer to go with a single unit (rather than plugging two together) that will run my AC unit without doing a soft start modification. Unfortunately most of the larger 3000 watt and above generators weigh upwards of 80 lbs or more and I've got a bad back. Well, my prayers may have been answered! Honda is coming out with a new 3200 watt inverter generator, the EU32i, that weighs just under 60 lbs. According to what I've read its being introduced in Europe first and then elsewhere. Unfortunately, I don't know what it will cost, but I'm assuming that it won't be cheap.

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2022/p220117eng.html

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had 2 Honda 2000's since the '80's.... Both still dependable, both still onboard for occasional use. Both light enough to carry and take no more storage area than a 3500.

Theoretically, you could get by with one Honda 2200i and not need a soft start; you just would need to shut just about everything else down (think batter charger circuit). Although given what you've just spent, and would spend on one Honda, I think the MicroAir soft start is a good investment.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The EU32i looks very promising. We have the Yamaha 3500 which is a wonderful genny, but it weighs 154 pounds. I would be willing to go to the Honda for 1/3 the weight and same wattage. The max surge is 3200, cannot find the continuous rating, but my guess would be 3k. Yes all day long!

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyJ View Post
    What is the smallest generator we could get away with that would run the ac unit if we needed it?
    As others have said: it depends. We have a 2,300-watt generator that runs the AC with a soft start (the soft start also keeps the AC quieter when on shore power). It weighs under 50 pounds so I can move it easily (at least for now).

BTW, I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    As others have said: it depends. We have a 2,300-watt generator that runs the AC with a soft start (the soft start also keeps the AC quieter when on shore power). It weighs under 50 pounds so I can move it easily (at least for now).

BTW, I see this is your first post, welcome to the forum.
    I don't mean to steal this thread, but does the "soft start" AC mode also help when the campground power is crappy? We've been to a few campgrounds where as soon as our AC unit kicks on that the Progressive Industries surge protector senses the voltage drop and shuts us right down. So we sit and swelter. I haven't and I won't ever override the surge protector. I'm wondering if the soft start mod would help in that situation.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    Does the "soft start" AC mode also help when the campground power is crappy? We've been to a few campgrounds where as soon as our AC unit kicks on that the Progressive Industries surge protector senses the voltage drop and shuts us right down. I'm wondering if the soft start mod would help in that situation.
    Yes, in all likelihood the soft start could help with that. Soft start works by eliminating the surge when the AC unit is starting up. So if that is tripping your surge protector, it seems likely that a soft start would help get you cooler.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S