User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 310 GK Solar package

My dealer knows nothing about this & nor did I other than checking the option box

When I arrived home the single 100ah was near dead, I have now figured out the inverter was on. Very unlikely then even were aware It has been plugged in since & seems to be OK. The fridge was on auto, it switched as it should.....good news.

Last evening I installed 2ea smart heated 200ah lithium batteries, I now have nearly 400ah of usable power. Prior to the install I learned the converter is also smart supposedly it will figure what batteries are connected & adjust it's profile.......will see.

I also learned the Jaboni 30ah is programable, as well there was a Bluetooth box beside the charge controller. Not plugged in @ not a word from the dealer. The bad news is the LED for the panels is not on & zero voltage on those wires. I did contact the dealer 1.5 hours away & I'm told there is no fuses between the panel & charge controller & it very unlikely the panel is defective.

Now that the batteries are installed I made some draw checks with the clamp on. First of all I will say I'm impressed how the clamp on & smart batteries agree on charge & discharge....nice.

There are two power shut off's, separate inverter & RV house. All off the usage was less than 150ma, house on the fridge is nasty. On propane it is 2.5 to just over 3ah, I have to research that some more. Inverter & the fridge switching to ACV, you might as well call it 50ah! Ugh!

I will add to this thread as I go, these were questions I had when checking the option box that I could not get answers to.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not heard any instances of "smart" or lithium-compatible converter chargers being installed at the factory by GD. Perhaps this has changed. Your Serial Number Data Sheet that came in your paperwork packet will tell you the make and model of the converter/charger and you can figure out from that whether it is or is not lithium compatible (we had to change ours out). The charge controller will also need to be changed to lithium.

You said your refrigerator was on "Auto." This would lead me to believe that you have an absorption propane/AC refrigerator. These draw more current than a compressor residential fridge and will put a large load on the batteries and inverter. I would advise leaving the fridge on propane when not connected to shore power.

As for the other, have you checked the connector on the roof to make sure the panels are plugged into the wiring correctly before it goes into the race?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post

I also learned the Jaboni 30ah is programable, as well there was a Bluetooth box beside the charge controller. Not plugged in @ not a word from the dealer.
    Interesting, our Bluetooth module was not plugged in either. When I plugged it in, it would connect and disconnect so that I couldn't set the Jaboni to lithium. Had to use the manual button underneath. I called the dealer and they had no clue. I called GD and they sent me a new Bluetooth module which I installed Thursday and doesn't work at all. Neither one work at all now and GD suggested a call to Jaboni rather than the dealer. My batteries are at 14.4v according to the Victron 712 so the solar is charging. On shore power, the converter keeps them at 13.6v (that's a lithium capable Progressive Dynamics that replaced the WFCO).
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    I have not heard any instances of "smart" or lithium-compatible converter chargers being installed at the factory by GD. Perhaps this has changed. Your Serial Number Data Sheet that came in your paperwork packet will tell you the make and model of the converter/charger and you can figure out from that whether it is or is not lithium compatible (we had to change ours out). The charge controller will also need to be changed to lithium.

You said your refrigerator was on "Auto." This would lead me to believe that you have an absorption propane/AC refrigerator. These draw more current than a compressor residential fridge and will put a large load on the batteries and inverter. I would advise leaving the fridge on propane when not connected to shore power.

As for the other, have you checked the connector on the roof to make sure the panels are plugged into the wiring correctly before it goes into the race?

Rob

The model number of the converter has -AD @ the end. This is Auto Detect on their website WCFO, new stuff & the converter senses that battery & adjust charge profile accordingly. Cool if it's true, this AM when checked the battery app they were floating @ 13.7vdc. Good news if true.

My for sale Jayco prop/elect fridge was always on propane, it idled down to 600madc. I'm stunned with this new idle draw on dc, my measurements last evening were hurried so I'm going to re visit.

Jaboni roof connector was not installed correctly, negative terminal pushed back when the panel connector was plugged in. I will try and post photo's latter, they are on my phone.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Interesting, our Bluetooth module was not plugged in either. When I plugged it in, it would connect and disconnect so that I couldn't set the Jaboni to lithium. Had to use the manual button underneath. I called the dealer and they had no clue. I called GD and they sent me a new Bluetooth module which I installed Thursday and doesn't work at all. Neither one work at all now and GD suggested a call to Jaboni rather than the dealer. My batteries are at 14.4v according to the Victron 712 so the solar is charging. On shore power, the converter keeps them at 13.6v (that's a lithium capable Progressive Dynamics that replaced the WFCO).
    Exactly, connect & disconnect. I'm going to try the admin code latter & see if that works. I did email Jaboni & received a reply in a reasonable time frame.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    The model number of the converter has -AD @ the end. This is Auto Detect on their website WCFO, new stuff & the converter senses that battery & adjust charge profile accordingly. Cool if it's true, this AM when checked the battery app they were floating @ 13.7vdc. Good news if true.
    I had the WFCO 9855-AD and according to Battleborn, it would not fully charge lithiums which is why I went with the Progressive Dynamics. Have to say it doesn't seem to top the lithiums off either.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the WFCO 9855-AD and according to Battleborn, it would not fully charge lithiums which is why I went with the Progressive Dynamics. Have to say it doesn't seem to top the lithiums off either.
    My battery app shows available AH & it is just above the 200ah rating. That also indicates 99%, I initially charged using my bench top power supply with adjustable voltage & current. Charged until the internal BMS shut off, the app indicated 100% @ 210ah available.

Saying that I've not loaded the batteries real world, so neither the solar charger or the converter has had to demonstrate true colors.

I put faith in Grand Design doing this properly, I may have errored.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've spent additional time with this factory solar package, I'm not prepared to swap anything out @ this time.

Both the solar charger & converter are doing the job. Discharged the lithium batteries to 84% by running the fridge on the inverter. Draw was 45-50ah, then I switched the inverter off & observed the solar charger via the app, DCVM across the paralleled 200ah batteries & a clamp on current meter.

BTW the 200w panel is 32vdc, was not a perfect day, some cloud & intermittent sun. Charge current was up to 22ah, the controller was in their lithium mode & voltage was 14.4vdc.

The Jaboni is capable of a user profile thru the Bluetooth module & app. I have reduced the "float" voltage from the default of 14.4vdc. Solar system is going to be used 90% of the time, my concern for the float setting.

After observing the solar recharge, I plugged the RV back in observing both charger's. Both systems operated as they should, sharing the charge duties.

Eventually the day clouded & rain returned so converter returned the batteries to 100%.

The "auto detect" is working as described by WFCO. It is floating around the 13.6vdc

Fridge is power hog, depending the cycle it is in. If you want to run it on the inverter you best have some good battery power. I only plan run the fridge in this configuration for short periods of time. Such as travelling on a ferry crossing.

When the fridge is turned off, as in dead the house draw is 1.1ah. That is reasonable thinking about all the parasitic draws. Fridge on propane the house draw goes just under 2ah to 3ah....depending on the fridge cycle.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the residential fridge. I'll unplug shore and kick on the inverter tonight and see what I have left in the morning. Unfortunately, the blue tooth module connected to the Jaboni doesn't work - it was intermittent when we took delivery but gave up completely. GD sent me a replacement and neither one will power up so I suspect there is a problem with the Jaboni connector to the BT.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the residential fridge. I'll unplug shore and kick on the inverter tonight and see what I have left in the morning. Unfortunately, the blue tooth module connected to the Jaboni doesn't work - it was intermittent when we took delivery but gave up completely. GD sent me a replacement and neither one will power up so I suspect there is a problem with the Jaboni connector to the BT.
    Jaboni has been very helpful & responsive, maybe contact them directly. The app is clumsy to operate no doubt, I find it does not auto connect. You have to add device every time.

The app does have good information if you can get it working. I'm hoping that I do not have to install a shunt.......so far so good :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast