User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

automatic transfere switch buzzing fix

My auto transfer switch was buzzing Loudly. In hopes of fixing it myself I removed the back wall of the pass through storage and confirmed that the buzz was coming from the ATS. specifically from the shore power side of the switch. After unplugging from shore and turning off the generator, I worked the switch up and down from the top of the switch while blowing air from my air compressor into any crack I could find. THAT FIXED IT!! May not work with all buzz problems but worth a try. Made me feel pretty darn good!
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LanerC View Post
    My auto transfer switch was buzzing Loudly. In hopes of fixing it myself I removed the back wall of the pass through storage and confirmed that the buzz was coming from the ATS. specifically from the shore power side of the switch. After unplugging from shore and turning off the generator, I worked the switch up and down from the top of the switch while blowing air from my air compressor into any crack I could find. THAT FIXED IT!! May not work with all buzz problems but worth a try. Made me feel pretty darn good!
    We get a humming buzzing sound out of our hard wired Progressive Industries power monitor once in a while, we just cycle the power off/on and it goes away. I've read that it is the relay humming. It gets annoying. Maybe the same with your ATS. Glad you found the cure.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That humming or buzzing y'all are hearing is coming from the transformer inside the converter. The only way to "fix it" is to remove it, and rewind the coils. You can put a ferrite choke on the input (feed) line and that "should" stop it. You will need to have enough of the hot wires exposed to wrap it around a ferrite bead a couple of times. This should "clean up" the electrical signal a bit and so the humming at the transformer.

It's is due to a slight phase difference between the transformer and the AC line input, it also tells you your transformer is doing it's job, which is to eat potential phase differentials and transform the signal from one type to another.

Sometimes, like with @Steven@147 case, killing power to it for a minute or two, rephases the signal. But, it must likely will return. What @LanerC did, when he blew it out, did essentially the same thing because he powered it down to take the cover off. Sometimes it might take several minutes of being powered off to get it to resync the phase.

(BTW: the phase I'm taking about here is 60 hz, not AC 2 or 3 phase power.)

Mark & Mary. Currently hailing from New Mexico and going full time in August 2022.
    Current coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel
    Last edited by MoonShadow_1911; 05-09-2022 at 06:43 AM.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonShadow_1911 View Post
    That humming or buzzing y'all are hearing is coming from the transformer inside the converter. The only way to "fix it" is to remove it, and rewind the coils. You can put a ferrite choke on the input (feed) line and that "should" stop it. You will need to have enough of the hot wires exposed to wrap it around a ferrite bead a couple of times. This should "clean up" the electrical signal a bit and so the humming at the transformer.

It's is due to a slight phase difference between the transformer and the AC line input, it also tells you your transformer is doing it's job, which is to eat potential phase differentials and transform the signal from one type to another.

Sometimes, like with @Steven@147 case, killing power to it for a minute or two, rephases the signal. But, it must likely will return. What @LanerC did, when he blew it out, did essentially the same thing because he powered it down to take the cover off. Sometimes it might take several minutes of being powered off to get it to resync the phase.

(BTW: the phase I'm taking about here is 60 hz, not AC 2 or 3 phase power.)

Mark & Mary. Currently hailing from New Mexico and going full time in August 2022.
    Current coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Very good explanation Mark. Thanks for sharing.

Red.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually