Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trip Routing Advice Needed

Planning a fall trip using RV Trip Wizard. One section requires going from Texarkana, TX to Ft. Smith, AR. Trip Wizard wants to route me from Texarkana via IH-30 to Little Rock, AR then IH-40 to Ft. Smith, AR. This adds 75 miles to the trip. Any reason I can't take US59/US71 through Mena pulling my 5th wheel trailer? Thanks in advance for advice
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnww View Post
    Planning a fall trip using RV Trip Wizard. One section requires going from Texarkana, TX to Ft. Smith, AR. Trip Wizard wants to route me from Texarkana via IH-30 to Little Rock, AR then IH-40 to Ft. Smith, AR. This adds 75 miles to the trip. Any reason I can't take US59/US71 through Mena pulling my 5th wheel trailer? Thanks in advance for advice
    I use Sygic for routing. The only difference I can see, the road (US59/71) north is fairly winding. Where the I30/I40 is a bit straighter (probably a bigger highway).

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I would take the two lane highways. I've got a 38' toyhauler and wouldn't hesitate to take that route.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    US 71 and US 59 are both US highways - should be fine. Google maps shows the difference going through Little Rock is over 100 miles. I certainly wouldn't go that way.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, when I plugged these start/end points into my RV Trip Wizard (with my metrics programmed in), it gives me the same preferred route, with a second “RV Safe” alternative (I-30 west to Hwy 41, then north to 59/71 in Dequeen). The route you prefer is classified as a “Automobile” route.

My speculation is there could be a stretch of the 59/71 route south of Dequeen that has a height, weight, and/or length conflict. I believe Trip Wizard ranks RV Safe alternatives based on estimated times, not total miles, of each of the routes. The “preferred” route in this situation is slightly faster, even though it is 100 miles longer.

But, again, this is just speculation on my part.

John
    Last edited by JohnnyBadger; 05-08-2022 at 09:31 PM.
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    John, I just plugged in Texarkana to Ft Smith AR and used Alma RV Park in Ft Smith as a stopover. Trip Wizard with our settings routed me on 59/71 direct at a distance of 196 miles with no hazards. Using my rig specs of 13.6 height and 53 feet length, 16800 GVWR carrying propane and using RV routing. So you shouldn't have a problem. I have driven US 59 from Livingston TX (Houston) up to Texarkana, up that far its 4 lane divided good highway.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I set up a route in BaseCamp from Texarkana to Ft. Smith using the hiways you've mentioned. The difference was right at 100 miles, and an hour longer using the interstates. I've driven most of the roads down in that area of Arkansas, and I don't believe you would have an issue. I'd do it in a heartbeat. Besides two lanes are just more relaxing.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks to those who have replied. I'm thinking, as some have suggested, I will confirm the 59/71 route with a Truckers Map to be sure I'm not overlooking something. Again, many thanks to our forum members.
    John & Cindy
    2019 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ford F250 6.7 PSD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Texarkana to Mena is an easy route. Two lane, many small towns. Just don't get in a hurry. The route all the way to Ft. Smith is not a problem. It is a typical Arkansas two lane road. It is a really pretty drive. There are no RV restrictions that I can think of and have pulled a trailer on it many times.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just remember the roads of Arkansas are very curvy with a lot of blind spots. We drove from Fayetteville to Eureka Springs using HWY45 to HWY23 was not a bad road, but we averaged under 30mph (got great gas mileage though). So be prepared to drive slow, stop at a lot of little towns traffic signals and lots of curvy roads. Take your time and have fun looking at the beautiful country side.
    Les and Sharon Bevil
    Austin, Tx

Reflection 311BHS purchased March 2017
    Jayco 32BHDS sold March 2017
    2012 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.6 Diesel (until May 2018)
    2015 Chevrolet 3500HD 6.6 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast