Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 imagine xls 1/2 ton experience

New to forum. Have new gmc 1500 woth 6.2 v8. Looking at the new imagine xls mle22. Wondering if anyone can give a real world experience to a newbie. Thx

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a Tahoe premier with max tow package. It pulls out Imagine 2400BH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

I have pulled trailers for years including an occasional rental Bobcat etc.

I am sure you have read lots of info on payload etc. so I'll just comment on my personal opinion.

Assuming a proper WDH and not over payload - towing the 22MLE is definitely doable. I have been to the Rockies and Gulf Shores and the trips went just fine.

If you are new to RV towing - know that towing the 22MLE is significantly more trailer back there than a boat or racecar trailer of similar weight. It is not the weight, stopping distances or clearance that makes it a bit sporty it is the huge sail back there that will blow you around.

Some folks don't mind it and some are bothered quite a bit by it.

I would like to have a F250/350 for a more stable towing experience but I drive without a trailer 95% of the time and don't want to drive an empty 250/350 95% of the time. I guess I am stuck in the middle a bit.

BTW - we love the 22MLE. I can't say enough good things about it.
    Kansas City and Lake of the Ozarks
    2021 22MLE, Husky Centerline TS
    2021 Ford F150 Platinum Crew Cab, Max Tow, 3.5L Ecoboost, 2k Pro Power
    2001 Ford F-350 XLT Crew Cab 4X4 Dually, 7.3 Power Stroke

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moonshoxx View Post
    New to forum. Have new gmc 1500 woth 6.2 v8. Looking at the new imagine xls mle22. Wondering if anyone can give a real world experience to a newbie. Thx
    Towing with a Tundra, see signature. Last time we went to the CAT scale this past season tongue weight was about 740# (~12.5%) and total trailer weight was about 5900-6000# which was more than our original CAT scale weights; we’ve added some things.

We don’t carry any fresh water, have one dealer installed battery and two 20# propane tanks. No problems towing in MD, PA, VA, DE. We get 9.5-10.5 mpg.

Here is an earlier survey thread you can look through. There were other 22mle owners that made an entry.

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...-Weight-Survey
    2010 Tundra SR5 DC 5.7L 4x4
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Andersen WDH
    Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension Kit
    2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2104s
    2014 Jayco x17z Hybrid

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think my Jeep would be classified as a half ton and my trailer is about the same weight as an mle22. The Jeep only has passengers and two cats to keep the weight down as much as possible. No squat with the WDH and I use an anti-sway bar. The brake controller and trailer brakes make stopping feel under control. I did about 8 weekend trips last season that were around 2.5 hours each way. I stayed between 60-70 MPH and 2500 RPMs and occasionally saw 4000 RPMs to pass on an incline. Bigger trucks towing heavier trailers pass me at 75-80 MPH like I'm standing still, good for them. My concerns with passing semis and traveling during a windy day have diminished after several experiences without an issue. I get an occasional, "what was that" sway, but nothing that takes me out of my lane. I think driving behind certain shaped semis cause this. I did install the blue SumoSprings and new suspension out of concern for windy days, unbanked turns, and to reduce porpoising. Gas milage is brutal and I try not to look at the average mpg.

The next weekend trip is later this month and I'll probably start out slow'ish and get comfortable before cruising at 65 MPH. Need to get another weight check on the way out since I've done some changes over winter. I don't expect there to be much change on the tongue, but I need to watch the weight closely, including my own.
    2021 Imagine XLS 23bhe
    2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland v8 4WD | 7,400 tow | 6800 GVWR - Sold
    Husky WD 30849 w/ sway control kit | Tekonsha brake controller
    Jeep + driver and 2 passengers = 5,990 | Trailer = 6,520 | Tongue = 760

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Tundra pulls my 22MLE perfectly.
    2020 Tundra Crew Max Limited 4x4
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We pull our 22mle with a 2019 F150 2.7EB SCrew. We are typically around the 6100 lbs mark for a trip with roughly 1/3 fresh, 2 light bikes on the back of the TT and 760 tw. Our payload on the TV is 1426. Went to a trip on the East coast last year with crazy grades. It tows great but I don't think that I would go any bigger or heavier with this truck though.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ynot4me2; 05-10-2022 at 06:16 PM.
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks thanks for the awesome information. Hopefully I can be a contributing member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only holdback to a larger trailer is the limited payload. The 5.7 has plenty of power and Blue Ox Track Pro seems to take care of any sway.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See sig.
    Great couples trailer.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast