User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar on & off ?

1. Can you or should you shut off solar panel when connected to power? If so, where do you shut it off at ? 165w panel on a 221RB 2022
    1st GD. 19 years full time.
    Thank you.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks here.

Regarding your question, you shouldn’t have to turn the solar off. The charge controller should make what goes to the battery/batteries automatic.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I understand the solar panel outputs power when it gets enough sun and the controller will in turn start charging the battery. There is no on/off switch. If your RV battery is being charged by another source (converter, battery charger, tow vehicle) and your solar panel is also getting enough sun then you are getting two charge sources at the same time and its not a problem.
    2022 Imagine 22RBE
    2021 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 Hemi 4X4
    USAF Veteran

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpage2001 View Post
    1. Can you or should you shut off solar panel when connected to power? If so, where do you shut it off at ? 165w panel on a 221RB 2022
    1st GD. 19 years full time.
    Thank you.
    I don't know about the factory installed solar, but most of the aftermarket installed systems do have cut off switches. Mostly intended for servicing the system. As stated above, you do not need to turn off solar charging if plugged into shore power. The charge controller monitors the battery charge (to an extent) and adjusts the voltage (and sometimes amperage) going to the battery. It shouldn't be a problem.

So the only time to "shut off" the panel(s) is if you are going to do maintenance on a downstream component; and by maintenance, I mean replace or upgrade as there really isn't anything to maintain.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would want to shut the solar panel output off when I disconnect the batteries for maintenance or winter storage. There is no shut off switch for the factory solar on our trailer and there was definitely current flowing from the solar charge controller when I disconnected the batteries to re-cable. I was going to install a separate solar disconnect but the location and length of the factory solar cabling as well as the placement of the solar charge controller in the battery compartment makes locating another disconnect a challenge.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I would want to shut the solar panel output off when I disconnect the batteries for maintenance or winter storage. There is no shut off switch for the factory solar on our trailer and there was definitely current flowing from the solar charge controller when I disconnected the batteries to re-cable. I was going to install a separate solar disconnect but the location and length of the factory solar cabling as well as the placement of the solar charge controller in the battery compartment makes locating another disconnect a challenge.
    Agree, it is a good idea to have some sort of disconnect for the solar cables. It is possible to damage the charge controller if there is power coming from the panels but no battery connected. I'm planning on using an inline breaker for both circuit protection and an on/off switch. The inline element should make it possible to install even with the cable limitation mentioned by @ajg617.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    We have a GD factory solar system - Jaboni 300w panel and Jaboni charge controller. The Jaboni controller has a power button on the remote panel in our front pass-through storage compartment and it does work. The charge current to the batteries goes to 0a when I turn it off and the dispaly shows "OFF".

I always turn it off before I connect or disconnect the solar system leads to the batteries. While it might not matter, I always consider sparks to be a bad thing and try to avoid them if possible. You won't damage the panels but could potentially damage the electronics in the charge controller. If you don't have an off switch on your controller, another option is to cover the panel/panels before disconnecting them (that might not be feasible due to location or number of panels) or make the disconnection at night, or at least in shade to reduce the current. If neither of those options is feasible, I agree that a disconnect switch is a better option then just disconnecting a cable - just make sure you make a quick movement of the switch - don't hesitate at the disconnect point. Finally, if you do have to disconnect a cable, make a quick disconnect. Don't let the cable terminal move around on the post, making and breaking the connection repeatedly.

There is no real issue with having the panels/solar system disconnected and in sunlight. This is the same situation as when your batteries are charged - the panels are unload then also. There will be some negligible increase in the temp of the panels (energy that would have gone into the electricity will go into heat).
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't say which solar charge controller you have, but the Jaboni controllers that GD has been using can be turned off. That said, there is no need to. The controller makes sure the battery is not overcharged and does not put out charging current when the battery doesn't need it. We have a factory-installed solar system (300W with Jaboni controller, ATS, inverter, and LiFePO4 batteries) and I never turn the charge controller off.

Now... welcome to the forum! You can create a signature block with your RV and tow vehicle information (see mine below). That way you won't have to repeat that information whenever you post or ask a question - and others won't have to ask. You can create a signature by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Rob

PS: if you have a lead-acid battery, make sure the check the electrolyte level at least every month or two and use only distilled water to top it off.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We haven't turned on our converter since we left our very shaded campsite at the our Umpqua Lighthouse workamp job April 1st. Even if there are rainy days and cloudy days, our little solar setup keeps the 4 100AH lithium batteries charged. Somedays, not to 100% , but so what. We have a residential frig and sometimes we have been at 30 amp sites, so we have needed to run the furnace here in western Oregon and Washington. KEN
    Backpacker and tent camper all my life, including BSA as a kid and adult.
    Motorcycle trips across the USA with a tent - 1978 to Present.
    02-10-2005 - 2002 F350 SWD PSD and 2003 Citation 10'8S mostly for Crater Lake Ski Patrol.
    10-29-2015 - 2016 Grand Design 380TH. It's HUGE compared to a camper.
    10-19-2018 - traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie CC 4 X 4 Long Box.
    03-16-2019 - Traded Momentum for a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude
    FULL TIME RV'er Nov 2021