User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How To Measure Departure Angle?

I’ve searched google and here but cannot find an image depicting how to measure the angle of departure. My back jacks are 4.5” from the ground.
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Lippert, if you draw a straight line from the bottom of your most rear tire on one side to the bottom of the bumper (on same side), that would be your departure angle. If your jack pad is higher than that, your good to go.

However, some have still replaced their rear jacks with shorter ones or adjusted the placement (if available holes) of the jack mount to be higher.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    According to Lippert, if you draw a straight line from the bottom of your most rear tire on one side to the bottom of the bumper (on same side), that would be your departure angle. If your jack pad is higher than that, your good to go.

However, some have still replaced their rear jacks with shorter ones or adjusted the placement (if available holes) of the jack mount to be higher.
    Thank you. This helps.
    Diane and Mike
    2022 280RS. Onan generator, Sumo Springs, MORyde crossmembers, hardwired surge protector
    2015 F-350 DRW 4x4 6.7L Power Stroke Feed Truck. 4.10s, front & rear stabilizer bars, Andersen 3221-TBX
    2021 Thor Chateau 22E Class C (retired) & 1970 Pop-Up Camper (retired - saw much of Western Europe)

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post

This is a general rule of thumb... we've encountered several situations where there is a channel where roads meet or a gutter at a driveway (from a service station/truck stop) that allowed the wheels to go lower than the surrounding surfaces. One time the jack behind the left rear wheel scooped dirt and gravel and another time part of the receiver extender in the hitch for the bike rack dragged. Fortunately, no damage in either case - but there could have been. One has to keep an eye on a number of variables when applying theories to real life.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 05-10-2022 at 09:23 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if the pad is above the departure angle, it still needs to meet Lipperts height measurement of 7". That was the case with my rear jacks.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Clay View Post
    I’ve searched google and here but cannot find an image depicting how to measure the angle of departure. My back jacks are 4.5” from the ground.
    My 2022 280RS also came from the factory with only about 5" clearance with 24" rear leveling jacks. I read that other owners on this forum contacted Grand Design and received the shorter 22" rear leveling jacks. The Lippert installation manual shows you both jacks and describes how to use a string to measure the departure angle, but also reads that you need 7" clearance to avoid dragging the jacks on the ground. You can contact Morgan Leonard ([email protected])
    Dutch & Marlene
    2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali 6.0L gasser
    2022 Reflection 280RS