User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I daily drive in Denver, it’s not that bad. Even when I tow through on the way to Colorado Springs area we just stay in one lane from the far right and just flow through. That lets people merge over easy enough and get to speed and there will be 2 lanes on your left for the crowd who want to zoom zoom.
    2019 Imagine 2800BH “Chaos”
    2009 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins Power “Nessy”

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We will be traveling I70 through Colorado (July/August) coming into Denver from the west and then south on I25, according to Trip Wizard near Silverthorne the pass is 11,070 feet ---- Really? I have a fuel stop at a Sinclair in that area.
    Just wanted to ask others that have traveled I70 in this area their experience with the road and elevation into Denver then south on I25?
    Hopefully I70 isn't as bad as Arkansas interstates. Don't know if the elevation will play havoc with our tow vehicle (fuel mileage) or not.

TKks
    We live just outside of denver but have never pulled our trailer on I70. We have done plenty of other high passes though (Monarch, Cottonwood, Kenosha). Just take it easy and watch your downhill speed. Trailer/Engine brake is a must.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    We will be traveling I70 through Colorado (July/August) coming into Denver from the west and then south on I25, according to Trip Wizard near Silverthorne the pass is 11,070 feet ---- Really? I have a fuel stop at a Sinclair in that area.
    Just wanted to ask others that have traveled I70 in this area their experience with the road and elevation into Denver then south on I25?
    Hopefully I70 isn't as bad as Arkansas interstates. Don't know if the elevation will play havoc with our tow vehicle (fuel mileage) or not.

TKks
    I went through Denver a few years ago pulling at the time a Sabre 5th wheel. What I remember most about the drive was the huge dips in the road. They were unmarked and deep. I believe this is where my 5th wheel was damaged.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has anyone drove on State Highway 86 from 470 down to Castlerock to Limon? I'm staying in Limon on my way to Glenwood Springs in July and this looks like a nice alternative route.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TKks
    If you are going to spend any time at altitudes, you might want to add fuel additives to increase the cetanes at each fill out. I have had check engine light come on only to have the dealer tell me that everyone knows to add additives. I didn't. POA having to stop to have it checked out.
    Bill & Marsha
    2020 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 2500HD Silverado 4x4
    Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TKks
    Steven,

I've driven this pass many times pulling my Reflection and in the past with my Open Range. Much has been said about the drive and you very well may have already taken the trip. I suggest a couple of additional tips that I didn't see mentioned. Because of the extreme climbs and drops in elevation on I70 I make certain all my tanks are empty. I don't want the added weight. I have the same truck you do however it's a 2014. I always use the tow/haul feature. Two big benefits are first, best computer management of the transmission on the climbs upward which helps prevent transmission overheating. Second, a simple tap of the brake when necessary to control the transmission upon decent. I place the engine brake in auto mode on any steep decent. Using the tow/haul mode and engine brake I do not manually adjust the transmission. It works automatically.

CDOT has been repaving I70 at Vail Pass and it was in desperate need of this. I'm not certain if they have started the repaving of I70 climbing from Silverthorne to the Eisenhower tunnel. If not, watch very carefully for potholes that can swallow a sedan. The construction on C470 has been completed and I25 between Castle Rock and Monument is almost completely done. They are in the repaving process of the final 7 miles southbound.

Finally, when I drive this route I watch very carefully the far right lanes when climbing or depending and avoid them completely if possible. The 18 wheelers are restricted to low speeds when defending and are moving at very slow speeds when climbing. It is a very dangerous situation and very challenging to have to pass them so I do my best to avoid that lane.

I liken driving in Colorado to a full on NASCAR race every day. You can imagine what I experience since I do not pull at more than 65mph.
    Keith and Tina
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
    2014 RAM 3500 6.7L Cummins Crew Cab SWD SB 4X4
    Hitch Curt 20k Fixed Mount

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus216 View Post
    Has anyone drove on State Highway 86 from 470 down to Castlerock to Limon? I'm staying in Limon on my way to Glenwood Springs in July and this looks like a nice alternative route.
    When I lived in Strasburg (east of Denver) that road was pretty good, but that was years ago. If you want the scenic route to Glenwood (bypass I70) and have time take take 24 through Colorado Springs and stay on it through Leadville to I70 just west of Vail. beautiful country and easy drive.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man you guys really don't like driving the Denver area! Oh, Texas I 35, enough said. Well its a good thing i took the Richard Petty Driving Experience training some time back and drove the short track in Orlando, experience of a lifetime!

Back to our trip through Colorado, This leg of our trip is from Grand Junction to Colorado Springs. As mentioned taking 24 instead, I planned an alternative route off I70 at Minturn taking 24 passing through Buena Vista then Hartsel, Lake George, Woodland Park and into Colorado Springs. Looks like I can plan a fuel stop at the Love's Country Store in Buena Vista. Looks like this route is a lot of 2 lane road though, but maybe worth it. East bound our destination for over night this leg is the KOA at Colorado Springs.

Tami, the Wife, has a touch of asthma and uses her inhaler when needed. Jokingly I told her I would announce to the passengers when we go over 10,000 feet to go on oxygen like they do on airplane movies. So maybe we should think about an alternative route. We'll keep it in mind when we start the Eastbound leg of our journey.

Thanks Everyone.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes 24 is mostly 2 lane, but there are passing lanes built all along it. Its beautiful country
    Safe travels
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To resurrect my old thread, we made it from Grand Junction CO To Colorado Springs yesterday and we took a bypass around Denver and left Interstate 70 at Minturn and took highway 24 south, then turning East on 24 at Buena Vista ,,,OMG! The first few miles off I 70 onto 24 at Minturn I thought I had made a grave mistake with our 37 foot, 16,000# 5th wheel, switchback turns, steep grades, climbing mountains, kind of narrow roads, manually shifting and using the exhaust brake a lot. Semi's using the same road/highway. But the further we went the better it got and yes the scenery was nice when I got a chance to look at it instead of concentrating on the highway.

Turning East on 24 between Buena Vista and Hartsel I almost witnessed two separate head on collisions by idiots driving way to fast passing traffic on a two lane highway. Crazy stupid drivers! This section gets kind of humpy with dips and heaving.
    Anyway it was probably faster than going through Denver but we'll never know. By the time we got into Colorado Springs it was raining hard, Interstate 25 around Fountain to the campground was a mess and very hard to see in the rain, then had to partially set up in the rain.

What is it with Interstate 70 anyway? Terrible in almost every state we have visited along the way. Like I said we bypassed Denver so I can't give you a report on I70 through there. When we left on our Western trip and went through Illinois and Indiana its the worst, Ohio isn't much better around Dayton to Indianapolis. We'll see what I70 is like in Kansas and Missouri. I guess that its just the volume of traffic, one of the busiest Interstates in the nation.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 08-16-2022 at 12:13 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast