User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I 70 Thru Denver then South I 25

We will be traveling I70 through Colorado (July/August) coming into Denver from the west and then south on I25, according to Trip Wizard near Silverthorne the pass is 11,070 feet ---- Really? I have a fuel stop at a Sinclair in that area.
    Just wanted to ask others that have traveled I70 in this area their experience with the road and elevation into Denver then south on I25?
    Hopefully I70 isn't as bad as Arkansas interstates. Don't know if the elevation will play havoc with our tow vehicle (fuel mileage) or not.

TKks
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-10-2022 at 06:49 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We will be traveling I70 through Colorado (July/August) coming into Denver from the west and then south on I25, according to Trip Wizard near Silverthorne the pass is 11,070 feet ---- Really? I have a fuel stop at a Sinclair in that area.
    Just wanted to ask others that have traveled I70 in this area their experience with the road and elevation into Denver then south on I25?
    Hopefully I70 isn't as bad as Arkansas interstates. Don't know if the elevation will play havoc with our tow vehicle (fuel mileage) or not.

TKks
    The elevation is correct. I-70 is the highest interstate in the nation. There are some rough patches on both I -70 and I -25. Just like any other state. No money for maintaining the Interstates outside of the major metropolitan areas.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TKks
    Oh, another thing, if your tow vehicle is a newer vehicle (advanced computer controlled), it should (emphasize should) automatically adjust. At least, that is what I've been told.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The entrance to the Eisenhower tunnel is 11,000 feet, so yeah, that is correct. Also Vail pass is over 10,500 feet, which you'll go over before you approach the tunnel. The grade out of the Eisenhower tunnel is also to be watched, as it is pretty steep. But AFATG, it's pretty much all either up or down.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you staying in Denver area or if not, what is your destination? I go to Colorado Springs, so cut over on US24 from Limon.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Are you staying in Denver area or if not, what is your destination? I go to Colorado Springs, so cut over on US24 from Limon.
    He is coming into Denver from the west not the east.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 05-10-2022 at 07:47 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TKks
    With your truck you should not have a problem with the pass or the down hill to Denver. Gear down, go slow and use exhaust brake. From Silverthorne to the tunnel is a climb but not too bad, from the tunnel to Denver is down and down and down some more. The problem is there can be lots of traffic with both cars and semi trucks and everyone is in a hurry. Avoid Sunday travel or Monday after a long weekend when everyone is trying to get back to Denver from the mountains. Unless you need to go into Denver get off of 70 at Morrison and take 470 to 25 south. The scenery along 70 in the high country is great and worth seeing if you have never seen it. The drop from the tunnel to Denver on 70 and the Denver traffic is not fun but you should not have any problems. Personally I try to avoid that drive because of the drop into Denver and all the traffic.
    Last edited by Always Learning; 05-10-2022 at 08:25 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody. Yes we are routing on 470 around Denver. We were relating our western trip to someone and mentioned going thru Colorado and they asked what was the highest elevation we would encounter, So I looked it up. I knew we were going to be at high elevation,(Denver Mile High). The Eisenhower Tunnel should be a hoot!!
    Most of the time they try to keep grades to 6% on major highways but there are some that are 7%. Looks like I 70 is 7% for 7 miles or so. Should be interesting!?

Yeah I don't know how our truck will do on the grades with elevation (air) turbo charger and fuel mpg then towing 15500#, sounds worse when you say 7.75 tons!!!. Yup the computers are supposed to compensate but a person really doesn't know till they actually drive it! The exhaust brake will come in real handy, keep off the brakes! We have driven 7% grade for a mile or two in the Smoky's, but 7 miles at 7% is a long way. I have also driven the I 5 Grapevine but not with a rig.

Should really be a lot of fun, we'll stay flexible taking fuel stops. I'll have to set the GoPro up on the dash to record the trek!!
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eisenhower tunnel summit shouldn't be a problem. Like everyone said take it easy going down.

There will be more grades downhill too (it's just about all downhill going into Denver from the West). Just past Idaho Springs there is some uphill but it isn't long; then you hit Genesee Hill and glide (carefully) down into Denver.

I'll guess the Denver and Colorado Springs traffic will be more of a test for you then the mountains.

Safe Travels. It is a nice, scenic drive.

oh - here is a grade elevation for that Silverthorne to Denver stretch.....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 10.59.12 AM.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	381.6 KB 
ID:	40528
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eisenhower tunnel summit shouldn't be a problem. Like everyone said take it easy going down.

There will be more grades downhill too (it's just about all downhill going into Denver from the West. Just past Idaho Springs there is some uphill but it isn't long; then you hit Genesee Hill and glide (carefully) down into Denver.

I'll guess the Denver and Colorado Springs traffic will be more of a test for you then the mountains.

Safe Travels. It is a nice, scenic drive.

oh - here is a grade elevation for that Silverthorne to Denver stretch. That 12,000' + elevation is misleading as it is the very top of Loveland Pass; Google Earth doesn't take into account that the road goes through that mountain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 10.59.12 AM.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	381.6 KB 
ID:	40528
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast