User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used this for years (digital version for PC) and found it extremely useful:

https://mountaindirectory.com/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We will be traveling I70 through Colorado (July/August) coming into Denver from the west and then south on I25, according to Trip Wizard near Silverthorne the pass is 11,070 feet ---- Really? I have a fuel stop at a Sinclair in that area.
    Just wanted to ask others that have traveled I70 in this area their experience with the road and elevation into Denver then south on I25?
    Hopefully I70 isn't as bad as Arkansas interstates. Don't know if the elevation will play havoc with our tow vehicle (fuel mileage) or not.

TKks
    Steve - do you really need to go to Denver??? And where are you headed after that. Stay out of Denver from 7 to 10 AM and 4 to 7PM and absolutely don't drive into town at sunrise and it gets dicey seeing.

I 70 is easy (just watch the down hill speeds), but if any of you have breathing issues consider another route. I have seen a lot of older folks at the Vail pass rest area wheezing

Now if you don't haft to go to Denver and want and easy scenic bypass, grab US24 south at Minturn and stay on it to Colorado Springs. It can actually be faster depending on traffic and has a lot more things to see (and great fishing spots).

You can also cut south at Grand Junction on US550 to Durango and then east on US 160. The best way if towing is cut west at Ridgeway on US 62 to US 145 over Lizerhead (10,222 elevation) pass to Cortrz and then to Durango, on US 160 but stop at Mesa Verde NP. You will see the best scenery Colorado has to offer.

However if you a competent driver you can tow on US50 over Red Mountain. Molas, and Coal Bank passes. Some of that road is quite narrow and slow but the beauty is worth it. Semis drive it daily with no issue. It quite stunning. I have gone that way several times with my older 5th wheel.

I just avoid Denver and the front Range - nothing there but traffic and rude drivers.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post

I'll guess the Denver and Colorado Springs traffic will be more of a test for you then the mountains......
    I second that! The drivers in and around CO Springs area especially on I25 are definitely challenging at best.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve driven it a couple of times with virtually the same truck and same weight RV. The long downgrades will help make up for the fuel consumption on the way up. I70 is rough in spots , but getting to drive thru Glenwood Canyon makes it worthwhile. Possibly the most scenic interstate in the US.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They just finished redoing I-25 between Castlerock and Monument, nice and smooth. Drivers not so much, if your not going 80+ expect to be passed a lot. Take the 470 around Denver, it goes around the west and south side and avoids taking you through the city.
    2021 Reflection 337RLS
    2018 RAM Laramie 3500 DRW
    Retired Navy

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ItchinToGo! View Post
    They just finished redoing I-25 between Castlerock and Monument, nice and smooth. Drivers not so much, if your not going 80+ expect to be passed a lot. Take the 470 around Denver, it goes around the west and south side and avoids taking you through the city.
    Yea...i didn't find any place in the Denver or CO Springs area that drivers werent doing less than 25 over the speed limit when there 2yrs ago.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My home in Breckenridge is at 11,004 ft. I'm about 25 miles from the Eisenhower tunnel. Needless to say, I have to deal with a mountain pass in every direction I tow, so have dealt with them all...Vail Pass, Rabbit Ears, Hoosier and Eisenhower Tunnel. Just as an FYI, tunnel clearance is 13'11". Never experienced a problem with the Reflection which scales at around 11,000 lbs. Haven't had to use the exhaust brake, just geared down and gone slow so as not to overrev. Agree about I-70 to 470 to I-25. Been there, done that. Check with Colorado Road Conditions as there's usually road construction during summer months on I-70. Also, be aware that due to wildfire damage in Glenwood Canyon, should the weather forecast major rain they will detour traffic from Rifle to Craig then over Rabbit Ears pass to Silverthorne as rain may cause mud slides over the road in the canyon. I've had to do this twice. Other than that, enjoy Colorado!
    Last edited by coastn; 05-10-2022 at 08:55 PM.
    2021 Reflection 31MB
    2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
    2023 RAM Laramie 2500 Crew Cab CTD 4X4
    Demco Slider Hitch, MorRyde Pin Box

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went fishing this afternoon, then a nap, got around to honey do's, then dinner, then setting by the firebowl campfire. Life is really tough! Checked in with the forum. Thanks for all the great advice, I looked at alternative routes like 24, we can change our route as it will be awhile before we get there.

Really guys, can Denver be any worse than Houston or Dallas? Been through them many times. Orlando and Disney was no piece of cake either. Or god forbid Indianapolis I 465, such a small, big city with terrible traffic flow, everybody is an Indy 500 driver, drafting and cutting in!! Just can't please us RVers can you? Just give me the slow lane and I'll peter along until I get the heck out of town! LOL's

Oh by the way, speaking of roads in Indiana, My Son lives near Kokomo IN, he was telling me they are making US 31 from Indianapolis north all the way up to South Bend a limited access 4 lane divided highway with bypasses around cities. For anyone going up to the GD factories in Middlebury or Elkhart, eventually might be a better route to get up there. Watch out for the horse and buggies.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 05-10-2022 at 09:33 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Went fishing this afternoon, then a nap, got around to honey do's, then dinner, then setting by the firebowl campfire. Life is really tough! Checked in with the forum. Thanks for all the great advice, I looked at alternative routes like 24, we can change our route as it will be awhile before we get there.

Really guys, can Denver be any worse than Houston or Dallas? Been through them many times. Orlando and Disney was no piece of cake either. Or god forbid Indianapolis I 465, such a small, big city with terrible traffic flow, everybody is an Indy 500 driver, drafting and cutting in!! Just can't please us RVers can you? Just give me the slow lane and I'll peter along until I get the heck out of town! LOL's

Oh by the way, speaking of roads in Indiana, My Son lives near Kokomo IN, he was telling me they are making US 31 from Indianapolis north all the way up to South Bend a limited access 4 lane divided highway with bypasses around cities. For anyone going up to the GD factories in Middlebury or Elkhart, eventually might be a better route to get up there. Watch out for the horse and buggies.
    Yes It can be much worse than Dallas. I bypass Dallas now too on trips to my FIL house in Mississippi from CO. I used to drive straight through using the north loop from I 35 to I20, but after dodging so many accidents and driving 35 mph in 6 lanes of Bumper to bumper traffic I started bypassing. I used to take 380 east at Denton from I 35 and drop down on 69, but 380 is now just miles of stop lights, Now I cut over on 82 from I35 at Henrietta and again get on 69 to I 20. I may start looking at my old I 40 route through Little Rock and then south to I 20. You mentioned fishing - if you take 24 you will be driving beside gold medal trout waters and there are a few nice RV parks that you can fish from your camp site.

Safe travels.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Yes It can be much worse than Dallas. I bypass Dallas now too on trips to my FIL house in Mississippi from CO. I used to drive straight through using the north loop from I 35 to I20, but after dodging so many accidents and driving 35 mph in 6 lanes of Bumper to bumper traffic I started bypassing. I used to take 380 east at Denton from I 35 and drop down on 69, but 380 is now just miles of stop lights, Now I cut over on 82 from I35 at Henrietta and again get on 69 to I 20. I may start looking at my old I 40 route through Little Rock and then south to I 20. You mentioned fishing - if you take 24 you will be driving beside gold medal trout waters and there are a few nice RV parks that you can fish from your camp site.

Safe travels.

...Ft Worth, Austin, San Antonio.... all have been challenging with either maintenance, stalls, breakdowns, rubber necking etc. in my experience driving I35 thru Texas. But when we drove from Ft Carson to Denver on I25 didnt have all the maintenance, stalls, rubber necking, and breakdowns, and still could be worse than I35 IMO too.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast