User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friction hinge door wind block?

I thought having a friction hinge door would be fantastic. I was wrong. I'm FT stationary and live in the high desert in southern Nevada. We get significant wind gusts occasionally and sustained wind of about 40 mph during spring and fall. Just in the 2 months I've had my Imagine 2250RK my door has slammed shut 3x. The screws that hold the door to the frame at the bottom broke. It's still securely attached to the frame but the heads of the screws are gone.

I now have to somehow extract the screws and replace them.

I want to make a modification to the RV to somehow give me the ability to have my door open and it be protected from the wind gusts catching it and slamming it shut. The only thing I can think of is to create a kind of flap that goes along the edge of the door and lies flush with the side of the RV where it prevents the wind from going between the side of the RV and the edge of the door.

But... I have a window the door partially covers when the door is fully open.

If I added a few of the standard door holder-backer clasps the wind would rip the screws out of the fiberglass siding... So that's not going to work. I tried it with my bedroom door which has one of those clasps. It ripped the screws out of the fiberglass.

Do you have any ideas how I can accomplish this goal?

Sent from my motorola one 5G ace using Tapatalk
    2018 Imagine 2250RK: Floorplan Pic
    Theater dinette instead of standard dinette.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some have used magnetic door to trailer side holders. We have them on our 295RL and haven't had any issues with wind catching and slaming the door shut. They work like cargo door magnets and are easy to install too. If interested, checkout Amazon.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same problem. I was lucky to come up with a simple fix. I screwed a d-ring on the inside bottom right corner of the door and hook a bungee cord from the ring to my x-chock handle between the wheels. Since I already had many bungees, it only cost me $1.25 for the d-ring. It's amazing that sometimes the best fixes are the cheapest.
    Mike & (RIP Karen)
    2021 Imagine 2600RB
    2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 RW, Tow Package
    Husky Centerline WDH
    Champion 2500DF, Prodigy P2

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't put my x-chocks on yet. Mine appear to be too narrow for these wide-set wheels. I just need to find a little wrench to widen them. Then I'm sure I could find bungees. Thanks for the idea!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMike View Post
    I had the same problem. I was lucky to come up with a simple fix. I screwed a d-ring on the inside bottom right corner of the door and hook a bungee cord from the ring to my x-chock handle between the wheels. Since I already had many bungees, it only cost me $1.25 for the d-ring. It's amazing that sometimes the best fixes are the cheapest.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Some have used magnetic door to trailer side holders. We have them on our 295RL and haven't had any issues with wind catching and slaming the door shut. They work like cargo door magnets and are easy to install too. If interested, checkout Amazon.
    If you're referencing the baggage door magnetic holdbacks, that won't be strong enough. My door has a magnet holdback and the wind causes it to fail regularly. I haven't attempted buying a super strong magnet to replace it though. Thanks!