User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dinette bench seat storage converted to full depth sliding drawer

In a few weeks, I’m looking forward to a multi-week trip down the Oregon coast with my Imagine 2400BH and wanted to get better access to the storage area under the dinette seating without requiring friends and family to leave their seats at the table. So far we've been using long plastic bins with 5" tall sides but these aren't full height to utilize the storage space well enough for our needs.

I looked around many forums and only saw one other example (not MyGrandRV.com) where the installation did not use locking slides and left much to be desired. If I’m going to build this, the design needs to be carefully planned; I’m not doing it twice!

Initially these storage drawers will be for my kids clothing but I made them beefy enough to handle a full drawer of canned goods. I decided on 3/4” birch plywood since I could cut a 3/8” groove and a 3/8” rabbet to fit together in a lock-rabbet drawer design with enough strength remaining in the sheet once the grooves were cut into the drawer sides. Using the opticutter website to calculate the layout of my cuts, I could visualize the various panels and sheet size needed for this project.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Opticutter.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	40563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lock-Rabbet Drawer.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	40564
    Overall depth inside the existing storage area was exactly 44” from wall to inside edge of factory framed seat face, so I made the drawer 42.5” deep and left enough space at the front of the drawer for the slide lock release which stick out 1-1/4”.

Locking slides are not very easy to find in a 36” length. I considered a 40” slide but couldn’t source locking rails with a tensioned release. Some heavy duty slides rely on the latch's own gravity position to keep it locked - don't install it upside-down or it'll never lock!.
    I ended up purchasing the Vevor 36 dual locks - which lock in both the fully extended and fully retracted positions.
    https://www.amazon.ca/VEVOR-Drawer-S...%2C134&sr=8-12

With these 500lb rated slides, I could easily stand in the drawer holding a generator while someone else moves it and the slides will still be able to handle the weight - slightly overkill for my purpose, but I didn’t want a sub 100lb rating since it would twist the rail and damage bearings if these drawers were ever filled with canned goods / heavy items. On a 3ft long slide, there’s a lot of mechanical advantage acting on the moment-arm of the slide rails: bearings, mounting hardware and anchor supports when fully extended.

Empty under-bench storage area:

Name:	Empty Storage Area.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	40565

Fitting drawers into position to measure and determine proper slide mount spacing and location. Left side lower trim board removed to gain full height of drawer, right side still in place.:

Name:	Slide 1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	40566

One drawer with locking slides completed:

Name:	Slide 2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	96.9 KB 
ID:	40567

...Continued in Part 2 (limit of 5 attachments per post)
    Last edited by EsquireRV; 05-11-2022 at 11:18 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2400BH w/ Blue Ox Sway Pro 1000# WDH
    Modifications: Goodyear Endurance 225/75R16 LRE, Road Armor w/ HD Wet Bolts, Dual 6V Trojan T105+
    2015 F150 Lariat 5.0L V8 SCrew 6.5' 3.55

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continued from above:

Name:	Slide 3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	40568

Name:	Slide 4.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	40569

Rinse & repeat to complete both sides.

Name:	Slide 5.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	40570

Enjoy!
    Modifications: Goodyear Endurance 225/75R16 LRE, Road Armor w/ HD Wet Bolts, Dual 6V Trojan T105+

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thought out and nicely done.
    Has the price of wood come down in your area?
    I cancelled a few 'Honey Do' projects last year due to the price of sheet goods here in Central CA.
    It's fun to watch when woodworkers tackle modifications in RV's. I think we look at things differently than most.
    Thank for sharing your progress.

Safe travels
    2020 Reflection 29RS 5th Wheel
    2019 GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivecodys View Post
    Well thought out and nicely done.
    Has the price of wood come down in your area?
    I cancelled a few 'Honey Do' projects last year due to the price of sheet goods here in Central CA.
    It's fun to watch when woodworkers tackle modifications in RV's. I think we look at things differently than most.
    Thank for sharing your progress.

Safe travels
    Thanks @Fivecodys

Birch Plywood at big box stores (HD, Lowes, Rona) is well north of $120 CAD\sheet right now - so it's still high. I bought from a local woodworking supply store and saved about $30.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great job! Is there a reason why you didn’t get rid of the hinges and make the door the face of the drawer?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    La Porte, TX

2013 Ford F-250 SD SRW 4x4 6.7
    ARE Z Series Truck Cap w/Yakima Roof Rack
    CargoGlide 1500XL Full Extension Bed Slide
    Firestone 2535 Ride Rite Air Helper Spring
    2017 Reflection 297RSTS
    EasyStart 366 x05 Soft Start Kit (on both A/C's)
    Honda EU2000i w/tri-fuel kit
    Honda EU2000i Companion w/tri-fuel kit

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great question, @lptxtandem,

I left the drawer hinges and doors on just to keep the look stock. I did consider that option, but with RV parts shortages what they currently are, I didn't bother looking into ordering a cupboard door to use as a front drawer/panel cover.

If the hinges or door panels prohibited the drawer or slides from operating, I would have modified it and removed the factory doors & hinges. This would have also caused me to redesign or reselect locking slides since the slide lock release mechanism (yellow lift tabs in photos above) must stick out in front of the panel face to operate the release.

Without a means to operate the slide lock release, you'd get the drawer closed once... and never operate it again, except through the top of the storage area... which essentially renders the whole design a moot point.
    Last edited by EsquireRV; 05-11-2022 at 01:32 PM.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great! I'm waiting to see the picture of you holding the generator standing in the drawer. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm very interested in doing this to our 261BH. How did you remove the lower trim piece?
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
    I'm very interested in doing this to our 261BH. How did you remove the lower trim piece?
    Super simple. Made easy because Grand Design used pocket screws to attach (no glue).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lower trim - Copy.jpg  

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping that was the answer! Thanks!
    bill

TT: 2021 261BH Transcend Xplor
    TV: 2017 F250 FX4 6.2l

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast