User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solitude owners, Important FYI, Spare tire crank too short

At least on my 310 the spare tire crank handle is to short. Had occasion to mount spare while camped yesterday. Upon attempting to lower the tire with my slide out I discovered that the crank barely reaches the winch socket and rubs on the side of the trailer as I lower the tire. I put the slide in before I changed the tire and when I tried to raise the tire up I discovered that the handle will not rotate and engage the winch because the slide wall flange interferes with it’s rotation because the crank is too short. Since the Solitude is a wide body it appears to me that I have a crank designed for one of the other models that are narrower. I suggest checking your crank now before you need to mount your spare tire on the side of the interstate and discover you have to open up the slides before you can lower your spare. My handle measures 12” from the end of the socket to the crank section. Let me know if yours is longer so I can determine that GD just gave me the wrong one. If yours is 12” and clears the slid wall flange then I have some other problem.

Thanks, Steve
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Andersen Ultimate TBX Morryde HD skid plate
    2016 Chevrolet 2500 SB Duramax

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just measured my crank handle. It is 14.5 inches from the end of the socket to the first 90° bend of the crank handle. We're currently using our camper so I can't check do see if it engaged with the slide closed.
    2014 Ford F350 Supercab DRW
    2021 Solitude 378 MBS-R FBP, Dual pane windows

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While you’re at it, check to make sure the spare tire isn’t loose. I’ve had to cinch mine up a few times.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparkybeau1 View Post
    I just measured my crank handle. It is 14.5 inches from the end of the socket to the first 90° bend of the crank handle. We're currently using our camper so I can't check do see if it engaged with the slide closed.
    I think you’ll be ok. Looks like they put the wrong one in my Solitude.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Andersen Ultimate TBX Morryde HD skid plate
    2016 Chevrolet 2500 SB Duramax