User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not from personal experience, but I've heard from recent purchasers that figuring out payload on Ford HD trucks is challenging. Apparently the documentation is difficult to navigate.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Wow, this makes my Ram's 5930 lbs. Cargo Capacity, and 14,000 lbs. GVWR look even better.
    My 2018 Dodge Cummins SRW 4x4 only has 3780lb payload. Two extra wheels make a big difference.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Wow, this makes my Ram's 5930 lbs. Cargo Capacity, and 14,000 lbs. GVWR look even better.
    That is certainly a good/high payload number. All three of the big manufacturers will offer similar numbers, you just have to be able to get one that is a lot more basic than the truck that many people want. The less equipment and lower trim packages (less total weight for the truck) will obviously cause the payload number to go up, providing that the GVWR is the same between the two trucks....a loaded up high trim package..vs...a more basic truck without a lot of amenities.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    My 2018 Dodge Cummins SRW 4x4 only has 3780lb payload. Two extra wheels make a big difference.
    There are many factors that affect the final payload numbers....2WD vs 4WD, trim levels and optional equipment....standard transmission vs manual, engine choice, etc, etc.

Lots of folks want the trucks that have all (most) of the optional equipment....power everything, moon/sun roof, 4WD....and the list goes on. My Ford Dually King Ranch has a payload number 5270 lbs and is 4WD, and CrewCab. That same model truck with 2WD CrewCab, and an XL trim or maybe even an XLT trim would probably push the payload up into the 5700 to 5800 lb range.

That manufacturers know that the majority of trucks sold for personal use, need to be loaded up with options and trim levels....and so that's what they make the most of. On the flip side of the coin, business use trucks....contractors, hotshoters, utility companies, etc, often buy the XL trim with a lot less equipment (lower cost, more payload capacity) because that type of truck fits their needs perfectly....a work truck.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not from personal experience, but I've heard from recent purchasers that figuring out payload on Ford HD trucks is challenging. Apparently the documentation is difficult to navigate.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "difficult to navigate". Maybe you are talking about wading through the numbers before you order a certain vehicle??
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "difficult to navigate". Maybe you are talking about wading through the numbers before you order a certain vehicle??
    Yes, to know exactly what you are getting capability wise before you order. And at least in this city...salesmen are not super knowledgable.

Might be the same with the others, my friends were buying Fords so that's what I heard about.
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, to know exactly what you are getting capability wise before you order. And at least in this city...salesmen are not super knowledgable.

Might be the same with the others, my friends were buying Fords so that's what I heard about.
    OK, gotcha. Back in "the old days", before Covid and the current shortage situation, a fellow could go truck shopping at a fairly large dealer, and look at trucks.....say for example a F350 SRW and take note of the equipment on it....4x4, CrewCab, trim level, etc. and get a pretty good idea what the payload would be on a truck that was similar to the one on the lot. Then, you kind of knew, or had a pretty good idea that if you added more "stuff" to the truck you ordered, the payload number was going to come down....maybe 100 lbs or 200 lbs depending on what all else you added. But now, like you said it is almost impossible to find in stock stuff and you are right....most of the salesmen/women don't have a clue about any of the towing parameters and will simply state, "Yea, that baby will tow anything you put behind it.....it's a beast" Sad, but true in many instances.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "difficult to navigatte". Maybe you are talking about wading through the numbers before you order a certain vehicle??
    I'd tend to agree with @Scott'n'Wendy . One can wade all they want and still be left guessing.

Take a look a this table and tell me exactly what my GVWR will be for an F350, SRW, 4X4, 176"WB. Kind of hard to pick one I think.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 2.12.21 PM.png 
Views:	33 
Size:	310.2 KB 
ID:	40597
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Larry,

A 2022 King Ranch Long Bed 6.7L default GVWR is 12,400 lbs. Here’s a window sticker of one attached.

If you selected an optional GVWR then you would reduce the payload on paper. I believe the only optional GVWR is 11,400#.

The good news is, if you don’t yet have a VIN number assigned or production date yet, and an optional GVWR was ordered on the DORA, you can have the dealer remove that option. You will still be price protected and that option is a no-cost option.

My educated guess is that you LB Will have a payload of at least 4,100- 4,200 lbs if the GVWR is 12,400#. Your truck weight will be about 8200-8300 lbs.

If the optional 11,400 lbs GVWR is selected then payload will be in the 3200 range on the yellow tire sticker.

Call the dealer tomorrow and request they remove the optional GVWR selection.

Long bed sticker below
    @Jerryr
    Thanks, Jerry. I did omit 11,500 GVWR "option". I learned the hard way on my current truck that selecting that option actually lowers the GVWR rather than raise it. Thanks for the window sticker too. It reminded me that the dealer did show me the details of the order and, as best as I can remember, it did indicated a GVWR of 12,400; I forgot about that.

I already have a VIN (since January). Now I'm just waiting.

I think the same as you about what my cargo weight will be.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 05-12-2022 at 12:27 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is certainly a good/high payload number. All three of the big manufacturers will offer similar numbers, you just have to be able to get one that is a lot more basic than the truck that many people want. The less equipment and lower trim packages (less total weight for the truck) will obviously cause the payload number to go up, providing that the GVWR is the same between the two trucks....a loaded up high trim package..vs...a more basic truck without a lot of amenities.
    Very true, which is why I searched out a Tradesman crew cab. Pretty basic with the 5th wheel tow package, and a few extras. But we wanted a tow vehicle, not a Sunday driver. That's basically all we use the truck for, so no 4WD, no sunroof, no power-this, and power-that, but AC, cruise, tow-haul mode, exhaust brake, power towing mirrors. So far it seems to be exactly what we wanted. And soooooooo quiet compared to that 2001 Cummins 24-valve. You can barely hear the engine running.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast