User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    I'd tend to agree with @Scott'n'Wendy . One can wade all they want and still be left guessing.

Take a look a this table and tell me exactly what my GVWR will be for an F350, SRW, 4X4, 176"WB. Kind of hard to pick one I think.

Attachment 40597
    I don't see much, if any difference between that chart and how they've been for quite some time. When you see the print at the bottom that says.."When properly equipped and base model", you know it is numbers that are made to look like the payload capacity is really high. What happens is that a lot of folks see those numbers and read no further, then come onto a forum and brag/share their payload number for "their" truck.....and then swear that you are wrong if you tell them that their CrewCab diesel, 4x4, short wheelbase, Platinum doesn't come anywhere close to those numbers. Those numbers are for a basic work truck, stripped down as far as it can go so that it shows an impressive payload number. And....they are not lying about those numbers, but....don't ever be fooled into thinking that the truck I just describe above is going to be anywhere close to that kind of payload.

That's why I stated earlier about truck shopping in the good ole day when dealers had inventory and you could find a truck very similar to what you wanted to order....and maybe change the color....or add some factory spray in bedliner.....little things that are not going to affect the payload numbers very much. Then when you order the new truck that is your favorite color and a couple of small changes from the one you looked at on the dealer's lot, and that one had a payload capacity of say 3653 lbs.....your new one will come in pretty close to those numbers for payload also....plus/minus maybe a 100 or 200 lbs, and again, depending on what else you added that was different from the dealer lot truck.

My Dually, which is a King Ranch and has 5270 lbs of payload would probably be around 5700/5800 lbs of payload if it were an XL instead of a KR.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Here are the numbers off my door stickers....

Vehicle Sticker:
    Front GAWR: 5200 lb; Rear GAWR: 7230 lb; GVWR 11,500

Cargo Sticker:
    Combined Weight: 3392 lbs

The biggest question is: since my GAWRs add up to 12,430 lbs then is that my limit or is it 11,500 lbs as the GVWR sticker says?

Notes:
    1) I ordered the 11,500 option when I ordered the truck. It was a big mistake. I thought it would increase the GVWR, not decrease it. So now I think it is just sticker so the DOT and insurance company doesn't charge me even more money for registration and insurance.

2) I assume my truck's weight was 9,038 lbs (12,430 - 3393) when the cargo sticker was made. I've weighed it empty and it was 9,160 lbs; so, pretty close to what the factory said.
    So after reading all of this, because he selected the 11,500 GVWR option, he actually lowered his payload capacity? So the exact same truck without that option would be (let's say) 12,500 GVWR , the exact same truck would have an extra 1,000 payload?

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    So after reading all of this, because he selected the 11,500 GVWR option, he actually lowered his payload capacity? So the exact same truck without that option would be (let's say) 12,500 GVWR , the exact same truck would have an extra 1,000 payload?

YES. That is correct. The same truck and the same true capacity but the labels are different.

The option is a has real value for someone who lives in a State where GVWR is used to compute license fees or used to calculate insurance premiums.

It fools some people thinking that they should select a GVWR option when if they didn't select the option they would receive a truck with greater GVWR by default. Ignorant sales reps don't understand it either.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    YES. That is correct. The same truck and the same true capacity but the labels are different.

The option is a has real value for someone who lives in a State where GVWR is used to compute license fees or used to calculate insurance premiums.

It fools some people thinking that they should select a GVWR option when if they didn't select the option they would receive a truck with greater GVWR by default. Ignorant sales reps don't understand it either.
    So, going back to my original question: "...since my GAWRs add up to 12,430 lbs then is that my limit or is it 11,500 lbs as the GVWR sticker says?..." My conclusions are:

1) I'm good for 12,430 lbs GVWR in reality, but 11,500 legally.

2) My cargo capacity is what the sticker says since it was calculated from the total axel weights.

Not to muddy the water further, but.... there is no 12,400 lb GVWR listed for a SRW in the 2018 brochure; the SRW SB max cargo capacity listed is 3940, the SRW LB is listed as 4440.

So moving up to a LB from a SB yields an increase cargo capacity of 500 lbs - exactly the reason I have a LB SRW on order without the 11,500 GVWR option.
    Last edited by traveldawg; 05-12-2022 at 07:43 PM.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post

That is correct. Some trucks are "class limited", the number for GVWR is set at the "max" to be in a particular class. The F250 (9,900), and the F450 (14,000) are two often used examples. A F250 and F350 can be built to be identical in the things that matter for towing (axle, wheels, suspension), one will have a lot more "capacity" because it's not class limited. The F450 can, despite bigger brakes and heavier/higher capacity tires, have a lower payload than a F350 DRW. That makes no sense at all until you realize that there's a class limit at 14K.

The numbers I would be concerned about is axle weight ratings. That's much closer to mechanical capacity of the equipment underneath you vs the GCWR which is often not "engineered" at all, it's just a chosen number. That, incidentally, is why you can order a bunch of different GCWRs on some trucks, it changes nothing underneath you, just changes the sticker.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post

There are only a few states like that. I happen to live in one (SC) and the difference between <10K and >10K is huge. For me, going from an F250 (9,900 GVWR) to F450 (14K) costs close to 2K/yr in personal vehicle tax.

The thing I don't understand, sure, in SC, I get why people would want to de-rate. But, why on earth would any dealer order a derated truck in a state that doesn't have that type of taxation (which is every other state I've ever lived in)?! These trucks should be very rare, only sold in specific states that have these silly taxation laws; instead, I see them all the time in places like FL; where tax on a truck is laughably low, and I'm not even sure they care about GVWR?!

Head scratching aside, you're right, in SC, over the first 5 years of ownership, that de-rate could save you 5-10,000 dollars. It's laughably silly, and it should be illegal (they should have to rate trucks by mechanical capacity vs making up a number to hit a "class"), but, is what it is. The really silly thing, you might be fined for being "overweight" based on a sticker that's there only to skirt taxes. That makes 0 sense.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a good YouTube video that explains the numbers and capacity.
    https://youtu.be/87runDszXLQ

Tony

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    Yes, to know exactly what you are getting capability wise before you order. And at least in this city...salesmen are not super knowledgable.

Might be the same with the others, my friends were buying Fords so that's what I heard about.
    Not to hijack the thread, but I heard that 2023 Ford Super duties will not have the availability of 5th wheel tow packages. If you didn't order a 2022 Ford you might be out of luck.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Malco1 View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I heard that 2023 Ford Super duties will not have the availability of 5th wheel tow packages. If you didn't order a 2022 Ford you might be out of luck.
    That would be odd. Maybe not many people ordered the 5th wheel tow pkg?
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    That would be odd. Maybe not many people ordered the 5th wheel tow pkg?
    So.... Ford stopped allowing the orders of Super Dutys with the 5th wheel prep a while back; along with a lot of other options. And now they have totally cut off orders for Super Dutys (since the beginning of April).

For those of us who live in 'fifth wheel land' this would have been pretty much nixed any thought of even ordering a truck, at least it would have been for me.

Some folks might have ordered anyway thinking they could add the baseplate, cut holes in the bed, etc. But the controller and stuff like that would not be built into the truck. All that would have to added too.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast