User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Protection for Shore Power Electrical Faults

We had a scary experience with faulty electrical power at our campsite. I've never had a serious issue with electrical hook-up at a campsite for the 10 years we've camped with a travel trailer....up until now. We discovered we had an issue the hard way; when our dogs got shocked as they climbed up the metal stairs into the trailer. I had no idea why they were yelping (LOUDLY) when they touched the stairs, so I put my hand on it to see if there was glass or something that I didn't see. That's when I got shocked. Incredibly, the entire frame of the trailer was hot, measuring 112 vac to ground! After some troubleshooting, I discovered that somehow the shore power pedestal equipment ground/casing was hot. Long story short, when they were upgrading the TV cable system, the installer screwed the plastic cable box to the electrical panel and punctured one of the hot legs inside the pedestal. The problem was fixed quickly, but I've decided that a portable surge protector/power diagnostic/monitor would be a good investment for future protection. I want something that will alert power faults, preferably disconnecting the supply side to the trailer. Thoughts??
    2022 GD Imagine 2970RL
    2012 Toyota Tundra - 5.7L Crew Cab

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! That story makes me feel good about the investment I made for our new camper. I hadn't used one in all the years we RV'd in the past but decided to spend the money on one last summer. I wondered how worthwhile it would be. Now I know, one never knows when it might just come in handy. Glad to hear nobody (furry or other) got hurt!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Progressive EMS is a good choice, comes in 30 or 50 A and hardwired or portable options. Search the forum and you can see plenty of discussion on the units.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good idea....Take a look at the Hughes Power Watchdog available in 30 or 50 amp, hard wired or portable. Hard wired will mean having to do some electrical modifications. The Hughes has a power shut off feature, they don't all have that feature. Research the Hughes for yourself, many on here own them. You'll get votes for the Progressive Industries as well.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    Very good idea....Take a look at the Hughes Power Watchdog available in 30 or 50 amp, hard wired or portable. Hard wired will mean having to do some electrical modifications. The Hughes has a power shut off feature, they don't all have that feature. Research the Hughes for yourself, many on here own them. You'll get votes for the Progressive Industries as well.
    I too use the Hughes Watchdog
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most power protection devices, if not all, that you can get for your RV (including my Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C) will not protect you from a Bootleg Ground. That is what you and your dogs experienced.

To learn more about this and to be sure you don't get electrocuted by some dummy who thinks they know how to wire campground pedestals Google and research Bootleg Ground. I think Mike Holt use to host a web site called noshockzone.org but I think he has moved on (or got commercialized).

Then go buy a non-contact circuit tester and use it every time you connect your RV to shore power (or work on anything AC electrical).

Stay safe.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Most power protection devices, if not all, that you can get for your RV (including my Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C) will not protect you from a Bootleg Ground. That is what you and your dogs experienced.

To learn more about this and to be sure you don't get electrocuted by some dummy who thinks they know how to wire campground pedestals Google and research Bootleg Ground. I think Mike Holt use to host a web site called noshockzone.org but I think he has moved on (or got commercialized).

Then go buy a non-contact circuit tester and use it every time you connect your RV to shore power (or work on anything AC electrical).
    That's interesting, I bet not many people would even think of using a voltage tester pen in such a way!
    Last edited by traveldawg; 05-11-2022 at 07:45 PM. Reason: fixed the quoting html tags
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always check the pedestal first, before I do anything else, with my non-contact voltage tester. Very cheap insurance and would have notified you, immediately, of the issue that you encountered. After it test okay, then I plug in my EMS to check for any other potential issues.
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richter View Post
    I always check the pedestal first, before I do anything else, with my non-contact voltage tester. Very cheap insurance and would have notified you, immediately, of the issue that you encountered. After it test okay, then I plug in my EMS to check for any other potential issues.
    Interesting. So you just check anywhere on the pedestal itself to see if it is hot, then continue with the standard checks? Never occurred to me. Think I'll throw my non-contact tester in the camper...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Interesting. So you just check anywhere on the pedestal itself to see if it is hot, then continue with the standard checks? Never occurred to me. Think I'll throw my non-contact tester in the camper...
    Just turn it on and touch it to any metallic surface such as a pedestal's electrical box and your rig's frame. You can always test it to be sure it is working and the batteries are OK by touching the shorter of the 2 slots on an electrical outlet.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast