User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    That sounds a LOT more complicated than our older Garmin RV GPS (which has not let us down). I now do whole-trip planning with RV Trip Wizard. It also allows you to enter all the specs/parameters for your rig so you get appropriate routing. The combination of the two has been flawless so far on the 3,649 mile trip we're in the middle of.

Rob
    I wish RVTW would come out with a "Android Auto" compatible map. With Google Maps, everything is displayed on the head unit, but as mentioned above, anytime a map is sent to the phone, GM changes the route to the route it wants.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds a LOT more complicated than our older Garmin RV GPS (which has not let us down). I now do whole-trip planning with RV Trip Wizard. It also allows you to enter all the specs/parameters for your rig so you get appropriate routing. The combination of the two has been flawless so far on the 3,649 mile trip we're in the middle of.

Rob
    How do you get RVTW (which I also really like) onto your GPS? I actually wanted one of the older model Garmins - just not available. I wasn't thrilled with the RV890 when I received it. Next trip will tell.

It's not bad once I understood the Garmin max 29 waypoint limit/route and how to get around that in BaseCamp (minor editing of route and setting one upload option) and the fact the Garmin hangs when loading from PC (per Garmin, just recycle power on the Garmin -they know about it).

This garmin isn't perfect - does the same as google trying to route me through Worcester then north over 15mph (yup 15) back roads with tight turns, one way streets, etc. rather than staying on interstates (which is faster no matter what either google or garmin thinks).

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    How do you get RVTW (which I also really like) onto your GPS? I actually wanted one of the older model Garmins - just not available. I wasn't thrilled with the RV890 when I received it. Next trip will tell.

It's not bad once I understood the Garmin max 29 waypoint limit/route and how to get around that in BaseCamp (minor editing of route and setting one upload option) and the fact the Garmin hangs when loading from PC (per Garmin, just recycle power on the Garmin -they know about it).

This garmin isn't perfect - does the same as google trying to route me through Worcester then north over 15mph (yup 15) back roads with tight turns, one way streets, etc. rather than staying on interstates (which is faster no matter what either google or garmin thinks).
    I don't. I use RV Trip Wizard for the long-range planning, finding campgrounds and RV parks, and recording reservation information. RVTW selects an RV-appropriate route overall and I select places to stay along that route. I then just find the next campground in the Garmin as we start out each day. I know from RVTW which road(s) we're supposed to be on just in case the GPS offers me more than one choice. When traveling in mountainous areas, I also refer to The Mountain Directory.

I did all of my flying, off-roading, and Army navigation stuff - and most of my sailing - before GPSs were available to civilians and the internet didn't exist. Low-level en route charts, marine charts, and USGS topo maps were my only tools for dead-reckoning navigation. These new bells and whistles are nice, but all technology needs a common sense backup.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't. I use RV Trip Wizard for the long-range planning, finding campgrounds and RV parks, and recording reservation information. RVTW selects an RV-appropriate route overall and I select places to stay along that route.

Rob
    I think we have close to the same drill except I have the entire route from RVTW in the Garmin and select the next stop each morning without having to load anything. Maybe an extra step using BaseCamp.

I did run the first overnight stop on RVTW, Garmin, Google for the trip next week and none of them gave me the directions getting off the thruway that the campground manager did. When I looked at Google Maps and saw the exit that all had planned, it was not going to work.

Just curious, do you allow RVLife to alter your route or keep it as originally intended - got that pop-up and decided to keep the planned route as I don't know what events would drive RVLife to change.

Also, in the Garmin, it asks me for RV specs, but nowhere that I could find for the TV. When it came to weight, it's in the RV spec section but seems like the total for both should be accounted for.

Thanks,
    John

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    I think we have close to the same drill except I have the entire route from RVTW in the Garmin and select the next stop each morning without having to load anything. Maybe an extra step using BaseCamp.

I did run the first overnight stop on RVTW, Garmin, Google for the trip next week and none of them gave me the directions getting off the thruway that the campground manager did. When I looked at Google Maps and saw the exit that all had planned, it was not going to work.

Just curious, do you allow RVLife to alter your route or keep it as originally intended - got that pop-up and decided to keep the planned route as I don't know what events would drive RVLife to change.

Also, in the Garmin, it asks me for RV specs, but nowhere that I could find for the TV. When it came to weight, it's in the RV spec section but seems like the total for both should be accounted for.

Thanks,
    John
    If I read Second Chance's post correctly, I do exactly the same: plan and takes notes with RVTW and use my Garmin for day-to-day travel to sites I've selected using RVTW.

I tried the RVLife app for navigation. To me it was a wast of time and caused more confusion than not. It didn't even agree with RVTW.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody has their own system they like. We use RVTW and print out the turn-by-turn, then use a Garmin 660 for up to date road conditions. We have also used RVTW GPS Iphone app. They usually always agree on the routes. I tried Base Camp - didn't like it.
    We never, ever use Google Maps, or MapQuest or our truck GPS or any other app that doesn't know we are towing 53 feet x 13.6 height x 16800#. Not towing ok we'll use them.

I just wish I could find a better fuel app for truck stops that has more than just the usual Pilot/FlyingJ, TA, Loves and such. Searching the generic fuel stop icons in RVTW then going to sat view to check them out to see if we can our rig in there gets tiring, but now it has a bug in the RVTW that cuts the little windows in half or just comes up blank. It didn't used to do that but it does it all the time now using Chrome or Edge. I sent RVTW a message but They say its normal. No it aint!
    I would like to find out about the truck stops that are local or state specific like Gunsmoke, Buc-ee's, RoadRunner and such. I've looked at a couple trucker apps but didn't like them and I don't need another GPS, trucker or otherwise.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    I wish RVTW would come out with a "Android Auto" compatible map. With Google Maps, everything is displayed on the head unit, but as mentioned above, anytime a map is sent to the phone, GM changes the route to the route it wants.
    In my quest for learning to route plan I had the same problem. What I learned is that you can customize your route by adding destinations along the way. Not addresses or stores, but points. You can zoom in on google maps and right click on the road you want to be on. It will give you the option to add that spot as a destination. Once you've done that, you can drag to reorder the destinations in the direction of your route you want. I find it easiest to start at one end and add these shaping points from start to finish. Once you're done send the directions to your phone and it should keep the route you've built because you defined the route with these points.
    Last edited by JetlifeA320; 05-12-2022 at 08:17 PM.
    2020 Momentum 353G
    2021 GMC 3500 Denali

2019 BMW R1250GSA

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Everybody has their own system they like. We use RVTW and print out the turn-by-turn, then use a Garmin 660 for up to date road conditions. We have also used RVTW GPS Iphone app. They usually always agree on the routes. I tried Base Camp - didn't like it.
    We never, ever use Google Maps, or MapQuest or our truck GPS or any other app that doesn't know we are towing 53 feet x 13.6 height x 16800#. Not towing ok we'll use them.

I just wish I could find a better fuel app for truck stops that has more than just the usual Pilot/FlyingJ, TA, Loves and such. Searching the generic fuel stop icons in RVTW then going to sat view to check them out to see if we can our rig in there gets tiring, but now it has a bug in the RVTW that cuts the little windows in half or just comes up blank. It didn't used to do that but it does it all the time now using Chrome or Edge. I sent RVTW a message but They say its normal. No it aint!
    I would like to find out about the truck stops that are local or state specific like Gunsmoke, Buc-ee's, RoadRunner and such. I've looked at a couple trucker apps but didn't like them and I don't need another GPS, trucker or otherwise.
    Can you just use the Gas Buddy app and search in the vicinity you think you will want to get fuel from and then just look at the diesel selections? It is pretty indiscriminate as far as fueling stations and lists all of them. I use it all the time when there are no good stops that offer the TSD discounts (their Open Road app).
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by traveldawg View Post
    Can you just use the Gas Buddy app and search in the vicinity you think you will want to get fuel from and then just look at the diesel selections? It is pretty indiscriminate as far as fueling stations and lists all of them. I use it all the time when there are no good stops that offer the TSD discounts (their Open Road app).
    Yeah, I suppose. I've got Gas Buddy on my Iphone, so does the wife, but I don't know if its their open road app, I look at it. Its just that I like to have an idea what the place looks like before I get there, nothing worse than getting to somewhere and find there is no way I can get the rig in there.

I got to looking at RVTW, the little window that opens when you select a fuel stop, the window cuts the words in half, but there is a little doodle bug slider dot on the right that lets you scroll to read the whole window.
    On our trip West we'll carry at least 5 gallons extra diesel, just in case. Read a news article where diesel maybe in short supply this summer and go up to $10 / gallon. One reason was US shipping diesel over to Europe and refineries not keeping up with international and domestic demand.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are similar to most here. RVTW is the bulk of the trip planning to get an overall plan. Each day, I plug in the destination for that day to the vehicle GPS and verify. I like to have the larger screen and easy zoom capability while driving. We will use Google maps to find fuel on the way and sat view to verify we can get in and out successfully.
    We just completed a trip from WI to TX and back. The only reservation was at the destination in TX. There were three overnights each way and no problems getting a site. We called mid morning to get a site [FHU] for that night and had no 'we are full' responses. I would say the parks were relatively full, but not completely.
    Rob
    Rob & Kathy
    2019 F350 CCSB SRW, w/Demco Autoslide.
    2019 Solitude 310GK.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast