User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Navigation, google maps, my maps and other route planning and driving navigation.

Took my first trip with the new RV last week. Found out real quick that google maps is not for me when towing. It took me the shortest route which in western Kentucky is not a good thing. Found every cow path between here and there (not good towing a Momentum 353G 5th wheel). Decided I was not going to let that happen again for the return trip. I applied some routing knowledge and skills from planning motorcycle trips to my RV routing. I used My Maps in google to plan the route and then exported it to Gaia GPS (phone app) to convert from a KML file to a GPX file. Final step was to open it in Maps.me (Phone app) for navigation in my truck through Apple car play. Sounds like a lot of work, but I had a much better route for towing on the way home. I found out that I could access both Maps.Me and Gaia GPS in apple car play for navigation. It sounds like a lot of work exporting and converting the file, but it didn’t take that long due to my past experience. Benefits of .KML and .GPX files are they are shareable, savable and I can reference past routes or share current route which can be loaded into a GPS unit or phone app.

Does anyone do this for navigation? What tips or tricks can you share route planning? What recommendations do you have for route planning and en route navigation?

Thanks!

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always used BaseCamp, used to be Mapsource, and Garmin GPS. I do all the route planning in BaseCamp and then upload it to the Garmin Nuvi 2359. Same for motorcycle trips and side trips. Works a treat.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I've always used BaseCamp, used to be Mapsource, and Garmin GPS. I do all the route planning in BaseCamp and then upload it to the Garmin Nuvi 2359. Same for motorcycle trips and side trips. Works a treat.
    Thanks, I use basecamp also, just didn't have my computer with me.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For single days, I use a Garmin RV specific GPS. It knows truck routes, height restrictions, propane restrictions, etc. and overall does a pretty good job for towing an RV and avoiding problems. Can put it in "car" mode for those non-towing times.
    For overall route planning, RV Trip Wizard, which again is "aware" of potential problematic areas for RV's. Haven't tried the export function for a while, but at the time it essentially exported just the stops, and let the Garmin determine the route between each one. It does now have a companion GPS app, but I haven't tested for how well it duplicates planned routes.
    I'm very techie, but BaseCamp just never was very intuitive for me.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JetlifeA320 View Post
    Took my first trip with the new RV last week. Found out real quick that google maps is not for me when towing. It took me the shortest route which in western Kentucky is not a good thing. Found every cow path between here and there (not good towing a Momentum 353G 5th wheel). Decided I was not going to let that happen again for the return trip. I applied some routing knowledge and skills from planning motorcycle trips to my RV routing. I used My Maps in google to plan the route and then exported it to Gaia GPS (phone app) to convert from a KML file to a GPX file. Final step was to open it in Maps.me (Phone app) for navigation in my truck through Apple car play. Sounds like a lot of work, but I had a much better route for towing on the way home. I found out that I could access both Maps.Me and Gaia GPS in apple car play for navigation. It sounds like a lot of work exporting and converting the file, but it didn’t take that long due to my past experience. Benefits of .KML and .GPX files are they are shareable, savable and I can reference past routes or share current route which can be loaded into a GPS unit or phone app.

Does anyone do this for navigation? What tips or tricks can you share route planning? What recommendations do you have for route planning and en route navigation?

Thanks!
    I use Sygic. It's a truck routing program, recently including trailers/fifth wheels. You put in how tall you are, how wide you are, how far you want to tow in a day, and it routes you.

We tested it on our trip last year when there was one road we would have been routed on by Google from point A to B that had an 11'2" overpass. Sygic routed us 2 streets to the south of that overpass to get around it. It's works really well. It's a smart phone app.

Now, I also cross reference with Google to check for traffic/backups. Although for extra cost Sygic does have live traffic add-on.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've do google maps routing on the computer and then send them to my phone and then ignore rerouting when the phone prompts for alternate routes. This also allows me to find places to stop for fuel approx every two hours before getting on the road. Due to using gasoline, I like to use the aerial to recon truck stops, etc. I'm interested in better options, but like using android auto and google maps without having to buy more hardware.
    Last edited by UGADawgs; 05-12-2022 at 07:59 AM.
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UGADawgs View Post
    I've do google maps routing on the computer and then send them to my phone and then ignore rerouting when the phone prompts for alternate routes. This also allows me to find places to stop for fuel approx every two hours before getting on the road. Due to using gasoline, I like to use the aerial to recon truck stops, etc. I'm interested in better options, but like using android auto and google maps without having to buy more hardware.
    I've never been able to get this to stick. When I create a custom route, and send it to my phone, it just reverts to what Google Maps wants as "the quickest" route and ignores my input.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like my Garmin RV890. I still double check the directions and I still our Trip Wizard to plan my trips, but my go-to while driving is the RV890.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I started with RV Trip Wizard, exported the GPX to my PC, imported into BaseCamp, then loaded it into the Garmin RV890 via USB not Garmin Drive. However, I've verified with individual campsites whether there are preferred routes or ones to stay away from (most are overnight travel stops - trying to stay close to interstates this trip). Received several corrections and guidance from individual campsites and Harvest Host locations and keep that all in my logbook. For next trip, I have also loaded in fuel stops. 16 Campsites - 41 stops with fuel included. A little tweaking in BaseCamp and entire route is in the Garmin as a single trip. BaseCamp was a little overwhelming until I watched a number of EZ Moto Tim's YT videos.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds a LOT more complicated than our older Garmin RV GPS (which has not let us down). I now do whole-trip planning with RV Trip Wizard. It also allows you to enter all the specs/parameters for your rig so you get appropriate routing. The combination of the two has been flawless so far on the 3,649 mile trip we're in the middle of.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast