Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Extension cords

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Extension cords

We are getting a 30 amp receptacle set up at the house. We have a few acres. How long is too long for a 30 amp extension cord? We would need about 200 ft to reach the trailer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put the receptacle on a post next to the RV. You aren’t going to find a cord that will handle the load at that length, and the wire to make one would probably be as expensive as running the line and would give an unwieldy and unsafe cord.

Make it a standard 50A pedestal with a 30A and 15 or 20A outlet too. You’ll appreciate it one day.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Put the receptacle on a post next to the RV. You aren’t going to find a cord that will handle the load at that length, and the wire to make one would probably be as expensive as running the line and would give an unwieldy and unsafe cord.

Make it a standard 50A pedestal with a 30A and 15 or 20A outlet too. You’ll appreciate it one day.
    Unfortunately that is not an option.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by docque View Post
    We are getting a 30 amp receptacle set up at the house. We have a few acres. How long is too long for a 30 amp extension cord? We would need about 200 ft to reach the trailer.
    For a 200', 30 amp, extension cord, you will need a 4 AWG copper size, which they don't make. You can have one custom made for more than you would spend running a circuit to a pole close to the RV. In reality, it's not really feasible for that long of a distance.
    Mark & Mary. Full-timing across the USA (and Canada)!
    Current Coach: 2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    Current Rig: 2019 Ford F350 SD Crew Cab, w/8' box, Lariat, SRW, 6.7l Diesel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just get eight 25' extensions and two fire extinguishers.
    2021 Imagine 2250rk
    2021 F150 Powerboost

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then I asked two questions. 200ft is too much what would be the max? I could park in driveway if need be.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then I asked two questions. 200ft is too much what would be the max? I could park in driveway if need be.
    The best way to answer your question is to determine your minimum distance between the point of service and your trailer. Then use this to calc your wire size.

https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop
    This is their updated calculator.

Lastly, search for a pre-made extension cord online (of the correct wire size) or DIY (copper wire is stupid expensive like everything else).

100' run of 30amp will need a 6AWG wire size to overcome the voltage drop.
    Last edited by Capt Bob; 05-12-2022 at 11:50 AM.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    The best way to answer your question is to determine your minimum distance between the point of service and your trailer. Then use this to calc your wire size.

https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop
    This is their updated calculator.

Lastly, search for a pre-made extension cord online (of the correct wire size) or DIY (copper wire is stupid expensive like everything else).

100' run of 30amp will need a 6AWG wire size to overcome the voltage drop.
    Thank you very much for that. Sorry, I have been writing software forever. I need numbers. "Don't do it because you will burn your house down" does not answer the question.

Based on what I see most of the extension cords are 10 gauge. I can safely go 50 ft with that.

What are the items that we would run that require the 30 amp? Just wanted to know because if we are packing it up and just running fridge would the standard 15 amp cord work?

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for that. Sorry, I have been writing software forever. I need numbers. "Don't do it because you will burn your house down" does not answer the question.

Based on what I see most of the extension cords are 10 gauge. I can safely go 50 ft with that.

What are the items that we would run that require the 30 amp? Just wanted to know because if we are packing it up and just running fridge would the standard 15 amp cord work?
    On 15 amps, you would be able to run the converter/charger (1 - 8 amps for charging battery and running lights and other 12VDC needs). Most microwaves are 1,400 - 1,500 watts (12 - 13 amps). You don't say what model RV or refrigerator you have, but the Norcold absorption refrigerators draw 1.2 - 2 amps when on AC (much less when operating on propane). The 6-gallon water heaters draw 8 - 13 amps on electric. RV ACs draw 16 - 18 amps on startup and 13 - 16 amps running. In other words, you won't get much with 15 amps - but it will run the lights, appliances on propane, and keep the battery charged.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a good reference chart for distance, amps, and gauge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-05-12 at 2.42.31 PM.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	40598

200' is possible.

From what I can tell you probably need at least 4AWG if not 2AGW for 30amps at that distance.

I'd guess there isn't an "extension cord" that long but you could buy some service entrance cable or something similar. I doubt you would like that price tho.

I'm not sure I'd make it and "extension cord". I think I'd be considering a new circuit tapped directly into yoiur house's breaker box (assuming there is space).

Maybe consider an alternative for a 15 amp run of 200'. That should reduce the cable size down to 6AWG.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast