User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    I took apart my wheel hubs today, so I could inspect and re-grease my wheel bearings and I'd like to hear your opinions on my bearings. They both have a discoloration on the inside of the bearing. The bearing on the left (inner bearing) has a brown discoloration on the inside. The other bearing (Outer) is similar markings, but only more pronounced. Is this what they call fretting? Otherwise the bearings look perfect, there isn't any pitting, scratches, mars, dents, they just seem perfect. The races and spindles also look fine, no scratches, no discoloration, no nothing.

Do I replace?

Thoughts?

Attachment 40596
    Just curious... do you have any vibration issues? I had fretted bearings and spindles on a previous trailer. I also had significant vibration issues... valve cores loosening and leaking, dump handles falling off/shattering, rear wall separating from the floor, and a lost tail light lens. I had the wheels balanced which solved the vibration issue. Like you, I replaced all bearings and races.

Mike
    Mike & Sonya
    Lake Huron Shoreline, SW Ontario
    2021 Imagine 2400BH (DeBunked), Blue Ox Swaypro
    2017 Silverado 1500 CC 5.3 Tow Pkg, RAS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Heck over a half of century ago I even used Jet fuel dripping from F-4 Fantom fighter jets to fill my Zippo lighter.
    You haven't lived until you've used jet fuel in the squad stove, Coleman lantern and tent heater. Never blew anything up. Oh and, we would use that days fuel sample to start the charcoal grill. With the charcoal, if you don't fan off the fumes first, you get the big woof!
    2020 Imagine 2450RL born 7/2019 Anderson hitch
    2007 Tundra 5.7 with tow package and RAS
    Both retired - still have our S&B
    US Army vet (Air Cav baby!) Gulf war combat veteran

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nopeeking View Post
    Just curious... do you have any vibration issues? I had fretted bearings and spindles on a previous trailer. I also had significant vibration issues... valve cores loosening and leaking, dump handles falling off/shattering, rear wall separating from the floor, and a lost tail light lens. I had the wheels balanced which solved the vibration issue. Like you, I replaced all bearings and races.

Mike
    We haven't any vibration issues issues since I installed Centramatic wheel balancers, but that was about 3 years ago and I've repacked the bearings at least twice since them. When we first got our trailer it had Westlake tires on it and they were not balanced at all. Every time we stopped, the cabinets were a mess and we had to push the furniture back into place. Since I knew I was ultimately going to replace the tires with Goodyears I installed Centramatic wheel balancers in leu of taking them to a tire shop and wasting the money to have them balanced.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can see in the picture, I would not hesitate to grease them up and continue to use them.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took apart my wheel hubs today, so I could inspect and re-grease my wheel bearings and I'd like to hear your opinions on my bearings. They both have a discoloration on the inside of the bearing. The bearing on the left (inner bearing) has a brown discoloration on the inside. The other bearing (Outer) is similar markings, but only more pronounced. Is this what they call fretting? Otherwise the bearings look perfect, there isn't any pitting, scratches, mars, dents, they just seem perfect. The races and spindles also look fine, no scratches, no discoloration, no nothing.

Do I replace?

Thoughts?

Attachment 40596
    You will want to check the rollers of the bearings for pitting as well as the races the bearing ride in. In my 30+ years of being an ASE certified tech I have seen pitted bearing not make any noise at all and smooth good looking bearing make crazy noise. However it is rare. Check the pattern on the race (installed inside the hub) for even pattern from the bearings. Clean everything very good. If you use air to blow out the bearings do not let them spin!!!!!’ When you blow them out. You can pack them by hand(easy to do) I recommend wearing a rubber glove. Use a quality bearing grease. From what I see in your photos I don’t see any abnormal wear. You will need to rotate bearing drums to inspect the whole surfaces for pitting.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I went to three auto parts stores in my area and only one store had anything in stock. Believe it or not they only had one set of "Duralast" bearings in stock and I would have liked at least two sets. I never heard of Duralast bearings, but they claim to have a life time warranty. I am going to order some Timken bearings online. But in the mean time I picked out what I thought were the best bearings and used them on the last axle. I didn't want to leave my trailer on jack stands, while I waited for parts. If the new ones come in time, and I have time I'll replace them.

I seriously doubt that my old bearings have stress fractures. To me it looks like the little grease that was between the spindle and bearing got heated up and may have burned a bit, but I'm no expert. The bearings them selves and the races show no sign of wear at all. When I took the pic, the bearings were still a tad dirty, I was more concerned about the discoloration.
    You can't just swap bearings around without swapping the races also.
    Mal & Helen
    With Mitzi our Yorkie
    2021 Solitude 310GK-R
    2020 Reflection 303RLS Sold
    2020 Ford F250 Lariat Super Duty 4WD 6.7 Diesel Short Bed
    B&W Companion Slider
    Amateur Radio Call sign WA2TWA

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do yourself a favor and by the Timken bearings. The ones you have are most likely chinese and they will let you down.
    I also cannot tell from the pics, but any markings you can see are not a good thing in my opinion.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bearings and races will have a number on them. Search that number and you will get the correct parts. I would choose timken brand myself

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I can see, I ditto the responses that recommend repacking these bearing. I also would not "wash and dry" them, just wipe them down and repack with new grease.
    As a side note, I read somewhere that Timken bearings are now made in China (like everything else that we buy in this country).

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1carguy View Post
    As a side note, I read somewhere that Timken bearings are now made in China (like everything else that we buy in this country).
    Timken has factories in many countries like most other large companies. One would hope they are made to the same standards.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast