User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are these bearings bad?

I took apart my wheel hubs today, so I could inspect and re-grease my wheel bearings and I'd like to hear your opinions on my bearings. They both have a discoloration on the inside of the bearing. The bearing on the left (inner bearing) has a brown discoloration on the inside. The other bearing (Outer) is similar markings, but only more pronounced. Is this what they call fretting? Otherwise the bearings look perfect, there isn't any pitting, scratches, mars, dents, they just seem perfect. The races and spindles also look fine, no scratches, no discoloration, no nothing.

Do I replace?

Thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearing.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	40596
    Last edited by BeerBrewer; 05-12-2022 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT:

Now that I've had time to think about it, in my experience....once I've "washed a bearing out" they won't last for crap. Not sure if I don't keep them clean enough or not pack them correctly or what. I've never had much luck with re-using them if I wash them clean. I typically just take them out and pack more grease in them and re-install. Not sure if that helps ya much.
    Last edited by 4x4dually; 05-12-2022 at 01:35 PM.
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The photo is too small for me to see if there is any pitting or discoloration from overheating. That said, I serviced bearings for 50 years by cleaning them thoroughly with a solvent to remove old grease, moisture and debris. I then blew them out with a compressor and "sun-dried" them for several hours. I then repacked them with a packing attachment on a grease gun (when I was young, I used the palm of the hand method my dad taught me). After reinstalling the bearings and hubs (with new grease seals every time), I made sure the castle nut was torqued and backed off properly. I never had any issues with bearings not lasting - even on boat trailers that were submerged. I now have our favorite mobile tech do bearing service. He takes the bearings and hubs to his shop where he has a parts washer, but he follows the same procedure I outlined above. No problems with his bearing services, either.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Rob said, I have thoroughly cleaned out bearings using a parts washer with filled with mineral spirits, blowing them out with compressed air and letting them sun dry. Then I still repack by hand using the palm of the hand method with 3 pairs of nytril gloves on each hand. New seals and reassembled.

I've occasionally in the past even used a coffee can filled with gasoline to get them really clean. That was when I was young and dumb.

Heck over a half of century ago I even used Jet fuel dripping from F-4 Fantom fighter jets to fill my Zippo lighter.
    Last edited by Jerryr; 05-12-2022 at 03:26 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is partly my feelings after many years working with bearings and such, but I'm totally against completely degreasing bearings. High carbon steel can rust extremely quickly. Mineral spirits will completely remove grease film and expose the steel to any atmospheric moisture. And it serves no purpose, the longer the bearing is exposed, the more likely it is to be contaminated. There's a reason they come packed in greased paper. Like I said, just my feelings about the subject.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At $20-30/pair, I'm more inclined to just replace them, rather than try cleaning & inspecting.

Is there a downside to doing that?
    signature

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The photo is too small for me to see if there is any pitting or discoloration from overheating. That said, I serviced bearings for 50 years by cleaning them thoroughly with a solvent to remove old grease, moisture and debris. I then blew them out with a compressor and "sun-dried" them for several hours. I then repacked them with a packing attachment on a grease gun (when I was young, I used the palm of the hand method my dad taught me). After reinstalling the bearings and hubs (with new grease seals every time), I made sure the castle nut was torqued and backed off properly. I never had any issues with bearings not lasting - even on boat trailers that were submerged. I now have our favorite mobile tech do bearing service. He takes the bearings and hubs to his shop where he has a parts washer, but he follows the same procedure I outlined above. No problems with his bearing services, either.

Rob

I'm not sure why the pic is so small, but if you tap on it, it enlarges a bit.

I hope that helps.

Bob

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    At $20-30/pair, I'm more inclined to just replace them, rather than try cleaning & inspecting.

Is there a downside to doing that?
    Bingo. Might be stress fractures you can't see. Just start over since you've got them completely apart. $.02
    2021 Reflection 367BHS
    2009 Dodge 3500 4x4 Longbed MegaCab
    Electrical Engineer/Musician/Rancher
    Habbitial facebook jail inmate and soon to be banned from here

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, I went to three auto parts stores in my area and only one store had anything in stock. Believe it or not they only had one set of "Duralast" bearings in stock and I would have liked at least two sets. I never heard of Duralast bearings, but they claim to have a life time warranty. I am going to order some Timken bearings online. But in the mean time I picked out what I thought were the best bearings and used them on the last axle. I didn't want to leave my trailer on jack stands, while I waited for parts. If the new ones come in time, and I have time I'll replace them.

I seriously doubt that my old bearings have stress fractures. To me it looks like the little grease that was between the spindle and bearing got heated up and may have burned a bit, but I'm no expert. The bearings them selves and the races show no sign of wear at all. When I took the pic, the bearings were still a tad dirty, I was more concerned about the discoloration.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd bypass any auto parts stores, and head to a bearing warehouse/supplier, like Grainger, MSC, or Fastenal.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast