User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn’t unusual. I think every camping trailer I’ve owned so far had GVWR greater than sum of the axle ratings. As others have said it accounts for the tongue weight being carried by the tow vehicle. The axles rightly only need to be rated for the wait they’re carrying.
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with jleonard, these trailers are marginal at best. I have a dump trailer and equipment trailer that are used on construction sites and are both 15 years old and have had no frame or axel issues. I know for a fact the dump trailer has been overloaded many times. My 303rls is only 2 years old and is very much babied and well maintained and is now showing stress cracks in front of the axels on the I beam. I am working with Grand Design and Lippert at this time to see what they intend to do. I would recommend everyone out there check their trailer frames often. I know there are several class action suits with Lippert on this very thing.
    2020 303RLS
    2018 Dodge 2500 Cummins
    BW Companion
    Retired and loving it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    As a mechanical engineer, I would consider that a huge design error.
    I would not be happy if it were my trailer.
    This will probably be one of those topics with strongly differing opinions. I'm not uncomfortable with the way the axles are rated. If the rating is "xxx", you should be able to run the load up to "xxx" safely. That is what the rating means. If you get into litigation, particularly in the lawyer, lawsuit loving US, and a product run at the stated design rating fails, the vendor has a liability problem. My Pullrite hitch is rated for 24K. I would have no reservation pulling a 23,990 lb. trailer with it. Industrial vendors and engineers will typically put in a safety margin when stating a rating.

However, that doesn't mean that some vendors or industries don't stretch the practice. As someone said, Lippert is currently having issues, but as far as I know, for frame problems, not for axle ratings. Are the frames given separate load ratings? I don't know. Also, many of the axles come from other vendors. We have Dexter axles. Are axle failures an issue with RVs?

Assuming a low end 15% on the hitch for phumpher, you will have about 6,500 lbs on axles rated at 7,000 lbs. I wouldn't worry about that. My worry box is too full of other stuff. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, but a limited amount, I would think about upgrading to EOH disc brakes before upgrading the axles.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is why it pays to shop around. But if you don't now then you won't know. The above placard is an all to familiar sight when RV manufactures cheap out. There are brands out there that have very generous cargo capacity because they put more than adequate suspension products under their trailers.
    This has been an ongoing problem with Grand Design for years. Mostly on their low cost entry units.
    Many other brands do the same thing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, thanks everyone for the quick education.
    I've learned quite a bit about what I want on(rather, under) our trailer.

And the question still, what would you do about it if it was your trailer?

I have an idea where I'm headed, but would like to read your ideas.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably not what you’re looking for, but I wouldn’t do anything because there’s nothing wrong with this setup. The tongue weight is part of the load on the truck axles.

Here’s the sticker on my fifth wheel. Trailer GVWR is greater than the sum of the trailer axle ratings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53D07A0C-8B73-4605-BC5A-426B7B12B12B.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	40663
    2022 Reflection 150 278BH
    2023 Silverado 2500HD Gas
    “If you like how it tows, don’t change anything.”

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same for me. I've got two 8,000 lb axles on a 18,000 GVWR trailer. I expect about 3,500 on the pin. No worries here.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe the real question is what does "rated at" mean? Who "rated" it? By what standard?

There are MANY examples of products with the same rating but one manufacturer makes a heavier stronger product than another. One of my favorite examples is the storage shelf system that one might buy at Walmart or some other cheap store. The shelves are rated at 200 lbs but I would never sit on one. Another brand might be totally different.

Back to trailers... I have long thought that Dexter was the standard in high quality trailer suspension parts, but in the last ten years or so, the quality has declined. A quick search shows that Dexter is no longer Dexter. It is owned by some global company. And in my experience the quality shows it. In fact, Grand Design is no longer itself.

Back to the point. A "rating" is only as good as the "engineer" that calculated it. The is no standard for most of these things. It is sad, but the truth is that "load ratings" are driven more by management and bean counters than by engineers. "The market will tolerate an x% failure rate and x% warranty claims so we'll set the rating at Y."

To the OP, don't get too wrapped up in the "ratings". Most RV's are overrated and underbuilt.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    As a mechanical engineer, I would consider that a huge design error.
    I would not be happy if it were my trailer.
    That is why they offer an axle upgrade on many campers, also the Disc Brake option.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phumpher View Post
    Greetings,

So, while reading the label on the new to us trailer;

I notice that the GVWR is greater than axle rating.

Attachment 40604

Is this okay?

Seems to me that it would be very easy to overload the axles.
    And still be under the GVWR for the trailer, and within the towing and payload ratings for the TV.
    How can this not be a liability?

And, what would you do about it if it was your trailer?
    If you like everything else about it, a axle/tire upgrade is usually doable. I have done this on a couple of my past TTs. Cheap? no. Effective? YES! If you are interested in doing what I did, I can expand on it later.
    GD is the only manufacterer I know of that offers an optional axle/tire upgrade. I chose this on my 398M Momentum.
    Three 8,000 lbs axles and 17.5 LRH tires. It wasn't cheap, but I will not have any capacity problems with them.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast