User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2022 310 GK Solar package & Microwave

I had read other members re wiring the factory microwave to the factory solar.....awesome idea & thankyou

The sub panel & main are S x S in this rig, I wondered how difficult would this be. Local electrician that works with houseboat's & solar systems I thought I would give him a ring. He stopped by & in less than 1 hour this modification was completed.

Removing the two drawers above the panels & the covers wiring was easily accessible. A dual breaker was added in the sub panel for separate switching of the fridge & microwave.

The convection microwave has a light & dual speed range fan. Nice features you would not be able to use with the factory inverter wiring.......usable now.

As a side note I asked the dealer about doing this, they quoted 4.5 hours. They were going to pull another wire from the micrwave to the sub panel. Thanks to the members who have posted I new the dealer over complicating, that really means they did not understand what to do.
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a reason the microwaves aren't on the battery/inverter side of the system. At 1,500 watts, the microwave will draw about 130 amps at 12VDC. You would need a very hefty battery bank (lithium iron phosphate would be best) and a lot more than the stock solar panel to recharge the batteries for this idea to work well. I don't know how your houseboat was set up, but I'll wager your Solitude is quite a bit different.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    There's a reason the microwaves aren't on the battery/inverter side of the system. At 1,500 watts, the microwave will draw about 130 amps at 12VDC. You would need a very hefty battery bank (lithium iron phosphate would be best) and a lot more than the stock solar panel to recharge the batteries for this idea to work well. I don't know how your houseboat was set up, but I'll wager your Solitude is quite a bit different.

Rob
    Why would the manufacturer install a 2000w inverter? I'm not disputing your point regarding the battery bank.

How long would you run a microwave @ full load, minutes?

BTW I do not have a house boat, I only mentioned the electrician's experience. That would suggest he understands solar, chargers, inverters, transfer switches etc.
    2022 Solitude 310GK, Factory option Include, Dual Pane Winders, Slide Toppers, Solar pacakge, Gen Prep, Pull Out Kitchen & Heat Pump
    Cheaters list so far Includes, Snap Pads, 2ea 200ah Smart Heated Lithium Batteries
    2014 Sierra 3500HD Duramax LWB SRW

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale B View Post
    Why would the manufacturer install a 2000w inverter? I'm not disputing your point regarding the battery bank.

How long would you run a microwave @ full load, minutes?

BTW I do not have a house boat, I only mentioned the electrician's experience. That would suggest he understands solar, chargers, inverters, transfer switches etc.
    GD installs a 2,000 watt inverter to run the residential fridge and a few outlets. @SolarPoweredRV has a really good background in this and can give you a lot of good info.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a reason the microwaves aren't on the battery/inverter side of the system. At 1,500 watts, the microwave will draw about 130 amps at 12VDC. You would need a very hefty battery bank (lithium iron phosphate would be best) and a lot more than the stock solar panel to recharge the batteries for this idea to work well.
    On our 2022 260RD the microwave is powered by the stock inverter feed. I didn't need to do any rewiring to get the microwave to work. That being said, I totally agree that you'll need plenty of battery and solar capacity if you're going to use it for much. I like having the light over the stove, the clock, and the timer working. Probably won't be cooking much with it until we beef up our solar capacity, batteries are good but still haven't gotten to adding the panels.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob

The longest I have microwaved anything is 5 minutes. 5 minutes at 130 amps is less than 11 amp hours of battery used. You can't be afraid of the large power usage if it is for a short period of time.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)