User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oxidation Remover

I am about to start a shine-up project on my 8 year old Solitude and need some advice. First of all there seem to be a lot of de-oxidation products on the market. Anyone have advice on which one is best? Second, some of the decals have cracked so I was thinking of just removing the cracked ones. Anyone have experience with techniques for that? Finally, what roof maintenance product and procedure would you all recommend. All assistance is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by droundtree View Post
    I am about to start a shine-up project on my 8 year old Solitude and need some advice. First of all there seem to be a lot of de-oxidation products on the market. Anyone have advice on which one is best? Second, some of the decals have cracked so I was thinking of just removing the cracked ones. Anyone have experience with techniques for that? Finally, what roof maintenance product and procedure would you all recommend. All assistance is appreciated

My husband has removed the top decal on the nose of our fifth wheel due to fading and damage. It took a long time. He used various products - alcohol, WD40, GooGone, soap & water. For scraping he used fingernails, plastic putty knife. He worked on it about 8 hours all together (one hour at a time, over a period of about a month). Patience is the key, you don't want to damage underneath the decal during the process. At the time the decal was 4 years old.

We heard later that a carefully used heat gun/hair dryer is pretty effective.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that oxidation is not a coating. Oxidation is sun damage to the gel coat of the camper and any product that actually removes oxidation needs to be abrasive to grind off a layer of the surface. Then it needs to polish what is left so it looks good again. There is no magic wipe-on product to fix it, though some products can hide minor oxidation to a degree.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For decal removal I used these plastic razor blades and Rapid remover.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0818WBNVD
    https://www.amazon.com/Remover-Spray.../dp/B01MSFD50H

Work slowly. It takes time.

I use the plastic razor blades to get dried on bugs off my windshield. I use them after wetting the windshield with car wash soap.

Another product I used after some low life kids painted graffiti all over my Reflection was https://www.homedepot.com/p/Krud-Kut...R226/205552884 that didn't harm the gelcoat
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "chalking" you see is indeed the gelcoat aging. It now has a surface that defuses light rather than reflects it giving that dull appearance. "Wipe on" products fill in the pits in the gelcoat giving it a shiny appearance but it's often short lived so....

Use this product to first level the gelcoat.
    https://www.amazon.com/Presta-Ultra-...697642922&th=1

Use this and your drill to remove the vinyl decals.
    https://www.amazon.com/Adhesive-Remo...21021261&psc=1

Both are products I have used on my boats with good results.
    Last edited by Capt Bob; 05-14-2022 at 10:26 AM.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plan is to use a buffer and remove the oxidation not just gloss over it. I’m just curious which product gets the best results. I know I am going to be expending some elbow grease!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PoliGlow works very well to restore the gloss. You buy it with a cleaner/prep and the poliglow
    https://poliglow.com
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used Bar Keepers Friend to remove oxidation. You will need to use a good wax after.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My previous SOB 5th wheel had that chocolate brown color front cap that so many brands used back in the early 2010's. I used Presta Gel Coat Compound and a cheap Harbor Freight RO polisher with 3 different pads. I followed that with some 3M Finesse it 2 IIRC. Then your wax/polish of choice. Came out looking gorgeous.
    Only problem was after all that work the brown cap oxidation returned every 4-5 months. I gave up on the cap and had it painted a light creamy tan/white color to match the exterior of the 5th wheel.
    Ironically a couple years after we bought our chocolate brown capped 5er, that same company along with others went to much lighter front caps.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah mine has the dark front cap and it was painted after some damage, and the paint is peeling near the top. I like your idea of repainting it light brown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast