User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question What's your hitch specifically with RAM 6.4 bed Grand Design 150 series 5th wheel?

Just bought a RAM 2500 HEMI crew cab 6.4 bed with OEM 5th wheel prep pkg now looking to buy the Grand Design 295RL 5th wheel. The Grand Design has the turning point pin box. Looking at Andersen Ultimate or PullRite Superlite or possibly the B&W companion. Really wanting a lighter hitch because will be taking it out often possibly. I understand that with these type hitches we would need to lock out the turning point pin box. The 5th wheel is 8500lbs dry or loaded about 10k lbs. Hitch weight dry is about 1400lbs. So don't really need the big heavy hitches.

Tell me what you have and how you like it? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Oklatraveler; 05-14-2022 at 08:04 AM.
    RAM 2500/crew cab/4x4/Big Horn/reg bed/HEMI
    Looking for used 2020-2021 Grand Design 295RL

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing to remember is no one travels at the UVW that is usually posted. Most Grand Design 5th wheels will be much closer to GVWR than UVW when loaded up to travel. So your hitch weight is going to be closer to 2,000 lbs. than 1,400 lbs.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I'm aware of that. Our loads will never be max because we just don't take that much stuff but I do understand it will be somewhere between UVW and GVWR.

Thank you.
    RAM 2500/crew cab/4x4/Big Horn/reg bed/HEMI
    Looking for used 2020-2021 Grand Design 295RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use the Pullrite Superslide. It is heavy but it does a great job for us. Would I purchase it again?? I'd really have to consider my options. No regrets but I'd seriously consider the Andersen. However, I have read a couple of posts lately talking about the Andersen chucking. We've never experienced that with the Pullrite. And as for the pics that always seen to get posted with the collapsed Andersen I spoke to a factory rep. There is certainly more to that story that never seems to get told.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oklatraveler View Post
    Just bought a RAM 2500 HEMI crew cab 6.4 bed with OEM 5th wheel prep pkg now looking to buy the Grand Design 295RL 5th wheel. The Grand Design has the turning point pin box. Looking at Andersen Ultimate or PullRite Superlite or possibly the B&W companion. Really wanting a lighter hitch because will be taking it out often possibly. I understand that with these type hitches we would need to lock out the turning point pin box. The 5th wheel is 8500lbs dry or loaded about 10k lbs. Hitch weight dry is about 1400lbs. So don't really need the big heavy hitches.

Tell me what you have and how you like it? Thank you in advance.
    I have a 3500 Ram with the same box as you. I did a lot of research and bought the B&W Companion. With the Andersen and PullRite Superlite you need to lock out the turning point pin box so you will loose that advantage. To use the turning point pin box you need to use a conventional hitch so you can use the wedge which allows the turning point pin box to rotate. Before you buy any hitch make sure that the turning point pin box has a wedge for it so you can use that feature.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My opinion is with the short bed you should use the turning point instead of buying a slider hitch. You also can store things in the back corners of your bed since the hitch doesn't pivot. I keep my generator on one corner and a cooler on the other. I am happy with the Curt hitch.
    Last edited by timkoenig; 05-14-2022 at 06:52 PM.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timkoenig View Post
    My opinion is with the short bed you should use the turning point instead of buying a slider hitch. You also can store things in the back corners of your bed since the hitch doesn't pivot. I keep my generator on one corner and a cooler on the other. I am happy with the Curt hitch.
    What wedge are you using? The Curt specific wedge or the one that came with the turning point? I also have the Curt hitch and was told I would have fewer hitching issues if I use the OEM Curt wedge. I purchased it but haven't installed it and activated the turning point as of yet.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    What wedge are you using? The Curt specific wedge or the one that came with the turning point? I also have the Curt hitch and was told I would have fewer hitching issues if I use the OEM Curt wedge. I purchased it but haven't installed it and activated the turning point as of yet.
    I bought the Curt wedge, never tried the one that came with it. I have towed it over 20,000 miles. I also repacked the turning point bearing when repacking the wheels last fall. It did not need repacking yet, I probably won't do it again for at least two years.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyrv View Post
    I have the Sidewinder setup on my trailer, it is a turning point, just a different name when sold separately. I used the generic wedge for one trip until the one for the hitch I had came in. It works, but can be sloppy. You can get more side to side movement, and on a curvy road, not fun.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timkoenig View Post
    I bought the Curt wedge, never tried the one that came with it. I have towed it over 20,000 miles. I also repacked the turning point bearing when repacking the wheels last fall. It did not need repacking yet, I probably won't do it again for at least two years.
    What has delayed my installation of the wedge and making use of the Turning Point, is that I am not so sure I am up for the maintenance required of the Turning Point. I haven't really needed it to this point, but I do have a fairly sharp turn to make while backing into our driveway and the Turning Point would perhaps make that turn a bit easier to maneuver.
    2016 Chevy Silverado LT Duramax
    2022 Reflection 295RL, after owning 2 Rockwood 8289's

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast